• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Teacher of the year is laid off.

Why should I have to make up for at $143M cut in California?

The primary purpose of the current educational system is to dumbdown the requirements (and ultimately the student) to the lowest common denominator so that self-esteem can be maintained. It is not to make us competitive with the graduates in other countries for the good of the nation. The defenders of the status quo will prove that to you.

I think this is more a government status quo. Not something teachers want.

and yet the requirements keep getting more and more difficult.

How do you explain that?

I think this is more a government status quo. Not something teachers want.

What teachers want is abundantly clear in this thread, and it has nothing to do with excelling at their jobs in most cases, sans a few.

j-mac

What teachers want is abundantly clear in this thread, and it has nothing to do with excelling at their jobs in most cases, sans a few.

j-mac

What teacher has expressed not wanting to excel at his or her job. I haven't seen anyone express that.

j-mac

Well, that was helpful j. Not.

:coffeepap

Well, that was helpful j. Not.

:coffeepap

I don't come in here to be helpful to your argument Joe. I come in here to offer the counter opinion in many cases to liberal destructive thought, and support of failed policies that if libs had their way we'd be done as the country I knew, loved, served, and grew up in, based on their own guilt of being born American. :coffeepap:

j-mac

By not helpful, I clearly mean there was no counter point. Nor is the silliness you present here.

That is what is known as a 'bitch slap' and to pretty much anyone else, the appropriate response would have been 'touche...well played sir!' However...you have to understand who you are talking to. And really...when you DO understand who you are trying to have a debate with you really cant be shocked at the responses. There are only so many prerecorded responses in that memory bank.

Yes, I do try to keep you and him on point. Going off topic is really all he has. That's so unfair of me.

Yes, I do try to keep you and him on point. Going off topic is really all he has. That's so unfair of me.
Whats that Sheriff Woody? Bo was kidnapped by the evil potato head???

:shrug: I'm graded on my leadership regardless of whether or not the people I am leading have Home Issues that distract them.

An excellent teacher is one that can take children I've described and teach them to read by the end of second grade or so. That's too late for them to perform on the standardized test, even if they wanted to perform on the standardized test.

No, but it isn't too late for that student to score significantly better than they did at the end of First Grade. Which is why rather than Student Performance (direct) you can measure teachers effectiveness with aggregate Student Improvement averaged. So, for example, if the students of Ronald McDonald Middle School typically advance 0.3 of a school year from one year to another, and are split evenly between two teachers in 7th Grade; and Teacher Smith's 7th Grade students consistently average over three years an advancement of 0.1 while Teacher Jones' 7th Grade students consistently average over three years an advancement of 0.5; then Teacher Jones is performing above the average, while Teacher Smith is performing below the average.

Thanks, man. You just depressed my entire morning.

OK, now you're way ahead of the bureaucrats who want to see every kid perform at a set level on that test that they don't care about. Student progress, not the number of students who perform at the level the state says they should, is a much better measure of teacher effectiveness.

Now, come up with a better measure than the standardized test, and you have it.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…