• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Tax firm Mazars fires Trump Organization as client, says former president’s financial statements are unreliable

Chomsky

Social Democrat
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal

--

The accounting firm Mazars has fired the Trump Organization as a client after saying that a decade’s worth of statements of ex-President Donald Trump’s financial condition “should no longer be relied upon,” the New York Attorney General’s office revealed in a court filing.
Mazars, which for years prepared Trump’s income tax returns, informed the Trump Organization’s top lawyer Alan Garten of that move and conclusion in a letter last Wednesday.
The letter was cited by AG Letitia James’ office on Monday as it asked a state judge to order the Trump Organization, Donald Trump Jr. and his sister Ivanka Trump, and others to comply with subpoenas seeking documents and testimony.

--

Wow! I believe this has the potential to be a big deal.

Trump's long-time accounting firm has dumped him, refusing to file his taxes this year, citing a decade's worth of Trump tax documents are - 'unreliable'.

This comes as allegations grow over Trump misrepresenting the value of assets, valuing them higher to borrow against them, and valuing them lower to the IRS for tax purposes.

This, to my mind, might leave exposure to mortgage or tax fraud; 'No'?

Congress, due to GOP protection, couldn't get to Trump. But, it's looking like civil & criminal mortgage & tax cases may possibly have better luck.

--

--

Trump's long-time accounting firm has dumped him, refusing to file his taxes this year, citing a decade's worth of Trump tax documents are - 'unreliable'.

This comes as allegations grow over Trump misrepresenting the value of assets, valuing them higher to borrow against them, and valuing them lower to the IRS for tax purposes.

Congress, due to GOP protection, couldn't get to Trump. But, it's looking like civil & criminal mortgage & tax cases may possibly have better luck.

Wow. That isn't good. Mazars knows he lied and they don't want to go down with him. Distancing themselves from the corrupt Trump Organization is a very smart move on their part.

Well, the potential was there once the investigation started. It certainly looks like they realized the legal ramifications and wanted nothing to do with it. From a practical perspective, it's going to be very interesting to see who Trump works with next. Whoever takes on that work isn't going to have the fig leaf of plausible deniability anymore.

Wow. That isn't good. Mazars knows he lied and they don't want to go down with him. Distancing themselves from the corrupt Trump Organization is a very smart move on their part.
Yet they were good with it for the last decade?

Sounds like a CYA move to me.

--

--

Sounds like CYA to me.

““While we have not concluded that the various financial statements, as a whole, contain material discrepancies, based on the totality of the circumstances, we believe our advice to no longer rely upon those financial statements is appropriate,” Mazars said in its letter to Garten.”

But it’s completely understandable.

--

--

I’m not sure I see the logic in what they’re doing. They’re on the hook for what they attested to. There’s no legal benefit to cutting ship, (imo)

Politically this creates a news cycled focused on Mazars accounting. If and when Trump gets taken down we’ll be taking about that, not his crooked accounting firm. So that seems like an own goal.

The mistake was doing business with Trump in the first place. Calling attention to that just makes a bad situation worse.

They must think there are some serious problems because they've got to be leaving a lot of profits on the table to lose such a high dollar customer.

Trump's got hundreds of shell companies. Doing his taxes must be a huge task.

Third thread on this...all within the last hour and a half.

If true, it's interesting that when put the title in the title field, and searched the 'like threads results', nothing came-up on this topic, so I went ahead and posted it.

Now, I'm wondering if the 'like threads' search engine only searches in the specific posting sub-forum where new thread is being placed?

Well, the potential was there once the investigation started. It certainly looks like they realized the legal ramifications and wanted nothing to do with it. From a practical perspective, it's going to be very interesting to see who Trump works with next. Whoever takes on that work isn't going to have the fig leaf of plausible deniability anymore.

Yep. Been saying the bolded for a very, very, long time . . .

How do you "fire" a customer?
Probably one more crappy story about president Trump!!
MSM loves this stuff.

They must think there are some serious problems because they've got to be leaving a lot of profits on the table to lose such a high dollar customer.

Trump's got hundreds of shell companies. Doing his taxes must be a huge task.

And, it's now starting to sound like a hazardous task . . .

Making up stuff again? Trump would have nothing to do with Mazars. His accounting people would.
They have done his taxes for 10 years....... Mazars is trying to CYA. But after 10 years it's a bit late if there is a problem.

And, it's now starting to sound like a hazardous task . . .
They probably looked the other way on a lot of stuff over the years for Trump, but this is crossing the line when you've got an AG demanding records and asking questions.

No big surprise the investigation into Trump's taxes is taking a long time. He purposely made it convoluted with layers upon layers of shell companies.

--

--

Well no one "fires" a client. They are employed by a client.

They can cancel a contract, subject to any forfeiture clauses in said contract.

They can also refuse to renew a contract.

But technically as the employee/servicer (contractor), not the employer (contractee), they don't fire anyone.

Last edited:
I’m not sure I see the logic in what they’re doing. They’re on the hook for what they attested to. There’s no legal benefit to cutting ship, (imo)

They're cutting themselves off from any future liability. As this stuff has been coming-out, it's getting harder to portray plausible deniability.

Politically this creates a news cycled focused on Mazars accounting. If and when Trump gets taken down we’ll be taking about that, not his crooked accounting firm. So that seems like an own goal.

Before it's over, Trump & Mazar's will be pointing fingers at each-other; just watch.

The mistake was doing business with Trump in the first place.

Agreed. Greed is hard to resist.

Calling attention to that just makes a bad situation worse.

To come-out like this, would seem to indicate they are highly concerned and are trying to get ahead of the PR & politics.

Back
Top Bottom