• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Tax Exemption for Churches (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
If what you're saying is right and the religious communities are making $BILLIONS in expendable profits they could use to influence elections and our political system, that sounds like a for-profit business that needs to be taxed. For the record I don't think for-profit businesses should be able to buy politicians either.

Yup all those donations to build congregations and help the poor, will now be used to force you into church every Sunday. Bwuahahahaha

As a land owner in San Antonio who pays a substantial amount of $$ in property taxes, I am perplexed why I should subsidize religious organizations thru my property taxes. I live quite close to downtown, a location where there are many large Churches, some with pay as you go parking lots, childcare centers, and restaurants. These Churches sit on large lots with multiple buildings. and I for one feel like as a property tax payer my rights (separation of Church and State) are being violated by subsidizing there tax exempt status. Churches use local and community services, they should pay up like the rest of us. Opinions? Please lets not bash anyone religion, that's not the intent, a sane rational discussion of why the Federal government allows this free ride would be cool.

Tax exemptions | First Amendment Center ? news, commentary, analysis on free speech, press, religion, assembly, petition

Pope Francis Calls for Ending Tax-Exempt Status of Churches That Don't Help the Needy

A church is nothing more than brick and mortar. The people in attendance is what is relevant and the people attending pay taxes. So, the "subsidizing" argument isn't very compelling when one considers the "church" is a collection of people paying taxes.

Assuming, arguendo, you the church should pay taxes, the failure of the church to pay taxes, and your payment of taxes, does not violate the Establishment Clause. First, the U.S. Supreme Court has long held such tax exemption does not violate the Establishment Clause. Walz v. Tax Commission of City of New York (1970).

You are no more subsidizing religion than you are subsidizing the political views of a libertarian group, in which people out of town use the roads without paying for the existence and maintenance of those roads, to attend the meeting at a private residence.

Last edited:
A church is nothing more than brick and mortar. The people in attendance is what is relevant and the people attending pay taxes. So, the "subsidizing" argument isn't very compelling when one considers the "church" is a collection of people paying taxes.

Assuming, arguendo, you the church should pay taxes, the failure of the church to pay taxes, and your payment of taxes, does not violate the Establishment Clause. First, the U.S. Supreme Court has long held such tax exemption does not violate the Establishment Clause. Walz v. Tax Commission of City of New York (1970).

You are no more subsidizing religion than you are subsidizing the political views of a libertarian group, in which people out of town use the roads without paying for the existence and maintenance of those roads, to attend the meeting at a private residence.

Lame argument

I will keep that in mind when my property tax bill comes in, free loading churches.

I will keep that in mind when my property tax bill comes in, free loading churches.

create your own 501c3 organization and the building that it sits on will be tax exempt as well.
PS it isn't just churches like you claim it I any and all 501c3 organizations.

so evidently you have an issue with charity why is that?

As a note, ANY nonprofit organization is exempted from these taxes (in most situations). Churches, Charities, some health and wellness facilities, Big Brother and Big Sister locations, and so on.
It isn't just churches that get a "free pass".
I'm not sure why we are trying to make all of these organizations "pay up" honestly.
It sounds like the same kind of outcry about food carts set up to feed the homeless in Downtown Orlando a few years back.

Are they churches?

churches mosques synagogues and others, no to mention all others that lobby their local city town and state government, or lobby their government for personal religous reasons, like the billionares who dump millions into elections to make sure their favorite religous extremist gets elected..... how does giving churches tax breaks keep them separate from government in anyway?

churches mosques synagogues and others, no to mention all others that lobby their local city town and state government, or lobby their government for personal religous reasons, like the billionares who dump millions into elections to make sure their favorite religous extremist gets elected..... how does giving churches tax breaks keep them separate from government in anyway?

This is gobbledygook, give a real example.

If you want to tax them then they get equal say in government politics. they can donate and campaign for whoever they want.
they can lobby government and push amendments and everything else.

however it isn't just churches is I all 501c3 organizations that get the same exemption.

The red cross doesn't pay taxes or property taxes on any of their stuff either.
so why are you complaining can crying about them?

If you want to tax them then they get equal say in government politics. they can donate and campaign for whoever they want.
they can lobby government and push amendments and everything else.

however it isn't just churches is I all 501c3 organizations that get the same exemption.
they already do??? I know there are some very small restrictions on how nonprofits can use donations for politcal contributions, but its something like 1 million dollars per church per year theres barely any legal restrictions at all, it just means that you cant spend 100% of your money on political contributions and still claim to be a nonprofit. preists can campaign for their favorite candidate, they can raisee money they can instruct their people on who to vote for, they can use their churches as campaign headquarters..... so again how does getting tax break seperate you from the government?

The red cross doesn't pay taxes or property taxes on any of their stuff either.
so why are you complaining can crying about them?
because the red cross actually helps people as oppose to religion which is arguably the most detructive thing on planet earth

The proper query is how does providing tax exemption to churches and other religious institutions constitute as government endorsement of religion, or government establishment of religion, or governmental support of religion?

they already do??? I know there are some very small restrictions on how nonprofits can use donations for politcal contributions, but its something like 1 million dollars per church per year theres barely any legal restrictions at all, it just means that you cant spend 100% of your money on political contributions and still claim to be a nonprofit. preists can campaign for their favorite candidate, they can raisee money they can instruct their people on who to vote for, they can use their churches as campaign headquarters..... so again how does getting tax break seperate you from the government?

churches are not allowed to endorse or campaign for any one person. doing so I a violation IRS law and they can lose their exempt status.
no they can't you have no clue what you are talking about.

because the red cross actually helps people as oppose to religion which is arguably the most detructive thing on planet earth

really? most of the charity work done in the US is done by churches. again you are clearly uninformed on this issue.

churches are not allowed to endorse or campaign for any one person. doing so I a violation IRS law and they can lose their exempt status.
no they can't you have no clue what you are talking about.

really? most of the charity work done in the US is done by churches. again you are clearly uninformed on this issue.

He doesn't attend a church or he would know down to the marrow of his bones this is not true, regarding political issues.

I am not a strong person of faith, I attended church in my younger years more, but I have never, ever heard a candidate, policy, or party stumped for at any point in a church function.

Churches are not taxed because they are, almost by definition a non-profit entity. Ethical, honest churches have a group within the congregation that are involved in the church finances as well as government filings they are required to do.

Unintended consequences: if you think evangelicals are a pain the neck now, wait until you start taxing churches and open the gate for them to be a part of the political process.

He doesn't attend a church or he would know down to the marrow of his bones this is not true, regarding political issues.

I am not a strong person of faith, I attended church in my younger years more, but I have never, ever heard a candidate, policy, or party stumped for at any point in a church function.

Churches are not taxed because they are, almost by definition a non-profit entity. Ethical, honest churches have a group within the congregation that are involved in the church finances as well as government filings they are required to do.

Unintended consequences: if you think evangelicals are a pain the neck now, wait until you start taxing churches and open the gate for them to be a part of the political process.

once you start taxing church they gain full access to government and can start to petition government as well.
they don't understand the consequences of their actions. however if you start taxing church you have to tax ALL
non-profit organizations.

what is even more funny is that these are the first people to jump up and down and stamp their feet and call other people bigots
yet they completely ignore their own bigotry.

BINGO!!! We have a winner!

As a land owner in San Antonio who pays a substantial amount of $$ in property taxes, I am perplexed why I should subsidize religious organizations thru my property taxes. I live quite close to downtown, a location where there are many large Churches, some with pay as you go parking lots, childcare centers, and restaurants. These Churches sit on large lots with multiple buildings. and I for one feel like as a property tax payer my rights (separation of Church and State) are being violated by subsidizing there tax exempt status. Churches use local and community services, they should pay up like the rest of us. Opinions? Please lets not bash anyone religion, that's not the intent, a sane rational discussion of why the Federal government allows this free ride would be cool.

Tax exemptions | First Amendment Center ? news, commentary, analysis on free speech, press, religion, assembly, petition

Pope Francis Calls for Ending Tax-Exempt Status of Churches That Don't Help the Needy

HELL no. Pun intended. You can complain about mega churches, but the reality is that that is NOT the majority of churches. And when you start to look at who will be impacted, it will be the little guy. Not the mega churches who can afford it. The government deciding to change this would essentially decide that smaller denominations who rely on small churches would not get to exist anymore. Think AME to Presbyterian churches.

This is nothing more than your own personal bias against churches. Churches help far more people than the Red Cross ever could. And who does Media Matters help? Should they also pay property taxes? :roll:

The proper query is how does providing tax exemption to churches and other religious institutions constitute as government endorsement of religion, or government establishment of religion, or governmental support of religion?

You mean, other than not at all?

No, that is not what I "mean" and the issue is exactly how I framed the query.

Well, whether you meant it or not, that's the reality of the situation. Tax exemption for churches is in no way establishing an official state religion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom