• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

SWAT for routine policing???

Sure, but you questioned his knowledge based on him having only written an essay (article), and suggested he didn't do any actual in-depth research. That was my quibble, not your individual anecdotes that present the other side. Essays and articles simply don't have the space for exhaustive citing, so it's somewhat of an unrealistic expectation that it be a thorough as a book.

His book, which I finished reading about a week ago, does provide acknowledgements, but no, it's not 50/50. Keep in mind that "I support our local police" is still the overwhelming prevailing mindset in our country, to the point that most people wouldn't ever dream of even questioning them, and his work IS the balance that you are claiming to seek.

No Sir, I questioned those who say 'routine' police work and that Balko didn't present any context to his 'facts'... the work cited was not his book, but his essay- two separate issues.

No Sir, I questioned those who say 'routine' police work and that Balko didn't present any context to his 'facts'...
Which I addressed regarding the simple difference in space issues between an essay/article and a more exhaustive book. I'd bet that if I were to research every post you've ever made (or, post from others to which you've agreed) that there would be several instances of similar shorter essays/articles with which you agreed and accepted without the need for endless citation and/or context.

...the work cited was not his book, but his essay- two separate issues.
That's some mighty fine hair-splitting right there. Said essay was from his book and associated research. So, no, not separate.

Which I addressed regarding the simple difference in space issues between an essay/article and a more exhaustive book. I'd bet that if I were to research every post you've ever made (or, post from others to which you've agreed) that there would be several instances of similar shorter essays/articles with which you agreed and accepted without the need for endless citation and/or context. That's some mighty fine hair-splitting right there. Said essay was from his book and associated research. So, no, not separate.

No Sir- go read the essay- it doesn't even attempt to be evenhanded. it is a hit piece.

Not hair splitting on my part... the book was never quoted, the essay was. By the way, for all you claim the book you just finished reading is balanced you offer no reference....

just saying...

No Sir- go read the essay- it doesn't even attempt to be evenhanded. it is a hit piece.

Not hair splitting on my part... the book was never quoted, the essay was. By the way, for all you claim the book you just finished reading is balanced you offer no reference....

just saying...

Your notquiteright, are the articles covering the same topic I put up from the NYTimes, The Atlantic, WSJ, CATO and Popular Mechanics all "hit pieces" too?

Your notquiteright, are the articles covering the same topic I put up from the NYTimes, The Atlantic, WSJ, CATO and Popular Mechanics all "hit pieces" too?

To a great extent they are... you are one who uses the 'routine' policing as if serving warrants is like serving tacos at a restaurant. There is no context, such as i presented... where is anything I mentioned mentioned in those 'articles'? The Meth invasion since 1983 into small town America? The fact that small departments can't keep a dozen officers just sitting around so yes SWAT members do other jobs within the department.

Unless you give both sides it is just a provocateur or hit piece. The 'articles' you cite are all in the same vein, no context and no percentages on just how many high risk warrants go bad, or why a VERY FEW warrants are served by more than just two uniformed sheriff's deputies...

What are you, a cop? I mean surely only another cop would defend the militarisation and heavy handed ness of the police. And if not, aren't you a good little brown shirt.

Unless you're being argumentative just to be argumentative, I don't see your point in continuing to criticize the original source. It sounds as if you're conceding the point, in part due to the additional sources that are less biased, yet still want to demonize the original source even though it is solidly in line with the additional sources. Why? What's the point? Yes, the original source has a particular general bias, but a bias does not always equate to always being incomplete and/or incorrect.

Excellent point. All that we hear about "fair and balanced" can be very misleading and harmful. If the Fox is raiding the henhouse, do we really need to hear the fox's perspective?

If the country is being sold down the river, and the government corrupt in more ways than we could imagine, it is way past the point of fair and balanced. It is time to take a stand and point out the mischief, and how it might be corrected.

Back
Top Bottom