• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Supreme Court hears religious tolerance case of postal worker who didn't work Sundays

You don’t have the right to impose the atheist religion on Christians.

The Supreme Court will hopefully rule against the post office then the ball can get rolling on bringing back blue laws in force
You would have no problem with Musilm employees refusing to work Fridays ?

Would you have an issue in predominantly Muslim communities that blue laws are enacted forbidding the opening of shops until after lunch time prayer on Fridays?

This is the worst road to go down, religious objection to conditions while voluntarily working for a company opens the flood gates to every functional operation for any business or government entity being at the will of one objector.
My wife used to work at a ISD field office. One employee was a Jehovah, therefor no holiday parties for everyone.

You would have no problem with Musilm employees refusing to work Fridays ?

Would you have an issue in predominantly Muslim communities that blue laws are enacted forbidding the opening of shops until after lunch time prayer on Fridays?
Why do you care what Muslims do? Thinking of joining their religion?

Why do you care what Muslims do? Thinking of joining their religion?
Do Muslims not deserve their exemptions too?

My wife used to work at a ISD field office. One employee was a Jehovah, therefor no holiday parties for everyone.
That is a shame. Did they work Christmas Day? I mean Jehovah Witnesses don't celebrate. No one forces anyone to participate; however, those that do not wish to should not stand in the way of those that do. And an employer that uses that as an excuse is merely seeking any excuse!

That is a shame. Did they work Christmas Day? I mean Jehovah Witnesses don't celebrate. No one forces anyone to participate; however, those that do not wish to should not stand in the way of those that do. And an employer that uses that as an excuse is merely seeking any excuse!
No, they did not work on federal holidays.

This wouldn't even be a controversy if the following conversation had taken place during the job interview:

"So what days would I be working for this position?"
"Right now Monday through Friday with occasional Saturdays sprinkled in. Sundays off for now, but there is always the chance in the future that you could be working Sundays"
"I would not be able to work Sundays. That is the Sabbath day for me.
"That will disqualify you for consideration for this position unfortunately."

This wouldn't even be a controversy if the following conversation had taken place during the job interview:

"So what days would I be working for this position?"
"Right now Monday through Friday with occasional Saturdays sprinkled in. Sundays off for now, but there is always the chance in the future that you could be working Sundays"
"I would not be able to work Sundays. That is the Sabbath day for me.
"That will disqualify you for consideration for this position unfortunately."
There was no need for that conversation at the time of the interview. The Amish guy - your first clue - was hired long before the Postal Service started doing Sunday deliveries for Amazon.

There was no need for that conversation at the time of the interview. The Amish guy - your first clue - was hired long before the Postal Service started doing Sunday deliveries for Amazon.
I realize that but they should have foreseen that perhaps happening in the future. No employer should ever tell a prospective employee that there are certain days that they will never have to work.

Example: Right now banks cannot operate on Sundays. But what if that were to change? Then we would have this same problem with bank employees saying they won't work Sundays.

I realize that but they should have foreseen that perhaps happening in the future. No employer should ever tell a prospective employee that there are certain days that they will never have to work.
Why not? This guy only fills in when other workers call off. So why do all the other workers get to refuse to work on Sunday because they don’t feel like it and make the worker with religious objections do it for them?

I never had a problem with this as the expense to the company was minimal. It would be quite a different story if they only had -one- guy working at that center, let's say, and that was someone who didn't work on Sundays.

What I found sort of sad is that stores like Home Depot are open Monday through Sunday and rarely closed. HOWEVER, if you call their HOME Office on Saturday and Sunday, there is a great possibility that you will be told to call back during their standard hours of operation, MONDAY through FRIDAY... Frankly, unless there is some sort of medical emergency, fire, flood ---- I see no reason other than greed for stores to be open on Sunday or particular holidays. I know that I've NEVER even made an online purchase on THANKSGIVING DAY. It just doesn't make sense to encourage such thoughtlessness and greed.

I do know that back in the day, many departments stores would decorate over Thanksgiving to be ready for Black Friday; however, I also know that many of these same stores made provisions to feed such employees and make the day fun. And often those that come to decorate were off Black Friday, and so there was a trade off.

Last edited:
So why do all the other workers get to refuse to work on Sunday
Probably because they were stupidly told that they would never have to work on Sunday. Do you think Chik fil-A managers tell their prospective employees that they will never have to work on Sundays? If so they are stupid.

I see no reason other than greed for stores to be open on Sunday or particular holidays
There are plenty of people who are not religious or who don't give a crap about certain holidays, and they would rather work and make money. I'm one of them.

Back
Top Bottom