• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Supreme Court finds individual right to own guns

Re: High court strikes down gun ban

Again, there are 4.5 activist treasounous judges on SCOTUS. the .5 made the right choice this time.

But lets not discuss the topic when we can bash other users. :roll:

The term "Activist Judge" is simply used by the right-wing to refer to decisions they disagree with....nothing more.

Like giving people rights, abortion, gay marriage etc etc.;)

Breyer's dissent is pathetic-from his demand for an interest balancing approach meaning the right might exist in one locality but not another to his dismissal of army officers Amicus saying soldiers with prior handgun training are better soldiers-(he said people could rent places to store guns outside the district)

I think the four dissenters should be precluded from having armed protection from criminals

This is all part of the liberal elite better than you mentality of the left. Only they deserve protection via firearms. Screw the masses mentality. :roll:

Why would you be against the requirement to register guns?

I cannot think of any good argument for that.

As for the ruling, I'm not particularly disturbed by it. Although I personally wouldn't keep a gun in my house, I think people should be able to. I would like to see less guns around (especially here in Los Angeles).

I do believe that there need to be restrictions on the type of weapons that people are allowed to own, I support a waiting period to purchase a gun...and I definitely support gun registration.

Why should I have to register my gun with the government? Why is it a crime if I don't. Isn't to keep and bear arms a right? If it's a right, why do I need the government's permission to exercise it. It's mine. The government doesn't need to know how many, which type, or restrict in any way my access to my firearms. My rights, my guns, my business and government can kindly mind their own beeswax.

Try responsibility and accountability...

What percentage of legal guns are used in crimes?

What part of "shall not be infringed" gives you trouble?

Oh and I am already "responsible" and "Accountable", what would registration accomplish?

Last edited:

As for the ruling, I'm not particularly disturbed by it. Although I personally wouldn't keep a gun in my house, I think people should be able to. I would like to see less guns around (especially here in Los Angeles).

I do believe that there need to be restrictions on the type of weapons that people are allowed to own, I support a waiting period to purchase a gun...and I definitely support gun registration.

why should honest people be required to register guns and set up taxation or confiscation schemes when registration has NO crime fighting use and CRIMINALS are exempted from it

I couldn't care what you support-you cannot justify any of your desires

I would like to see less freedom hating lefties myself. any WEAPON civilian police officers can use other civilians should be able to buy, possess, sell, and use in a safe manner without special licenses

once a townhip, city or state says that such a weapon has a useful defensive purpose for civlian cops that governmental entity is ESTOPPED FROM HOLDING OR CLAIMING that such weapons have NO USEFUL PURPOSE WHEN OWNED BY OTHER CIVILIANS

The term "Activist Judge" is simply used by the right-wing to refer to decisions they disagree with....nothing more.

Yeah, because you NEVER hear a Democrat use the phrase "Activist Judge".... whatever.... :roll:

I like the hypocrisy of the thread.
That would only be the case if the ruling itself was 'activist' in some way.
Given that its the first ruling of its kind, and that it does not reverse any other SCotUS ruling, that's impossible to argue.

I could care less about this ruling TBH.
Only because it didnt go the other way...

That is pathetic-its like saying if we made you submit any post you want to make on a political subject to censors prior to posting it it would mean you would post more responsibly.

accountability? if I use a firearm for any evil purpose I am subject to prosecution and severe penalties.

why should I give gun confiscators their most useful tool?

you seem to think that governments need not prove a proper purpose for a law as long as it harasses people whose politics you don't like

The irresponsible and unaccountable dont register their guns under any circumstance, and as such, registration achieves nothing to that end.

So, again, I cant think of one good argument for registration....

Why should I have to register my gun with the government? Why is it a crime if I don't. Isn't to keep and bear arms a right? If it's a right, why do I need the government's permission to exercise it. It's mine. The government doesn't need to know how many, which type, or restrict in any way my access to my firearms. My rights, my guns, my business and government can kindly mind their own beeswax.

Under the Constitution...."rights" are never absolute. Why should the government not have an interest in requiring individuals to be responsible and accountable weapons that potentially have deadly consequences?

That would only be the case if the ruling itself was 'activist' in some way.

Not really. I think the hypocrisy lies in that the fact the right chooses when to say SCOTUS is filled with activist judges. ;)

Given that its the first ruling of its kind, and that it does not reverse any other SCotUS ruling, that's impossible to argue.

This is the first ruling of SCOTUS you agree with?

Only because it didnt go the other way...

No. I don't live my life in fear wondering when some drug crazed manaic will try and break into my house.

That is pathetic-its like saying if we made you submit any post you want to make on a political subject to censors prior to posting it it would mean you would post more responsibly.

accountability? if I use a firearm for any evil purpose I am subject to prosecution and severe penalties.

why should I give gun confiscators their most useful tool?

you seem to think that governments need not prove a proper purpose for a law as long as it harasses people whose politics you don't like

Gun registration is hardly "harassment".

Not really. I think the hypocrisy lies in that the fact the right chooses when to say SCOTUS is filled with activist judges.
I guess that would depend then on if a ruling was actually activist.
This one is obviously not.

No. I don't live my life in fear wondering when some drug crazed manaic will try and break into my house.
Ignorance really is bliss! :2razz:

Under the Constitution...."rights" are never absolute. Why should the government not have an interest in requiring individuals to be responsible and accountable weapons that potentially have deadly consequences?

I am accountable. If I misuse my firearm, harm or kill another, we have court systems which kick in and I either get fined or thrown in jail depending.

Yeah, because you NEVER hear a Democrat use the phrase "Activist Judge".... whatever.... :roll:

actually.......honestly........no. The term is pretty exclusively used by the radical right whenever judges issue a decision they disagree with.

laughable. the people most likely to misuse firearms are protected-by the Fifth Amendment-from having to register them.

you do know every group that seeks a complete gun bans says registration is the most useful tool to accomplish that?

You do know Chuck Schumer says registration can be used to impose punitive taxes on gun owners.

why do you liberals want to hassle honest people?

are you criminal protectors? or do you think laws should be fashioned to harass those of use who don't buy into your leftist agendas?

Gun registration is hardly "harassment".

What if they made you register for bucket you bought?

(more childeren die from drowning than guns)

would you be ok with that?

Or what about having to register every child you take in your car before driving?

Cool with that as well? :roll:

I guess that would depend then on if a ruling was actually activist.

In other words when you agree with the ruling, it's not activist. When you don't it is. Hypocrisy 101 Ladies and Gents.

This one is obviously not.

Because you agree with it. Which proves my point about you know. Hypocrisy. Thanks for playing!

Ignorance really is bliss! :2razz:

So is redneckism but I could care less either way. ;)

Why?? Because it's none of the governments business how many guns I own. When I lived in Chicago, I refused to register my guns. Thank God I was able to get out of that hell hole in a year. Now Chicago will have to change their laws too.

Take that Daley...

This was definitely a constitutional ruling not based on prior cases (the legal theory of stare decesis). Since prior cases weren't the major consideration for the ruling, this is more of a "right-wing" reading of the constitution.

In simpler terms, conservative judges (like Scalia) tend to go back to the constitution and decide from there ignoring previous decisions made since then. Liberal judges (like Breyer) use prior Supreme Court decisions to build their case on. This side also looks into the "spirit of the law" as it was written as opposed to trying to translate the law solely as written.

Justices are accused of activism when they use the liberal version which is based off using the weight of previous legal decisions to see how the new decision will fit into the scope of the law and its evolution.

The problem with laws is that they can be either poorly worded or antiquated. The "right to bear arms" in this country is different from 200 years ago and the reading of the law for the conservatives is not going to take into account advancements such as automatic weapons, armor piercing bullets and nuclear weaponry whereas the liberal side might.

Each side can be argued to be valid, but to me, the Supreme Court decided correctly here.

In other words when you agree with the ruling, it's not activist. When you don't it is. Hypocrisy 101 Ladies and Gents.

nonsense.

Show me in the constitution where battle captured who have never stepped foot in the US have constitutional rights.

I can show you the opposite.

I can also direct you to the 2nd amendment that this ruling upholds.

There were still 4 activists who dissented on this, demonstrating thier activism and anti-constitutionalism.

Again though you lefties want to call people hypocrites because you have a house of card of a position here.

lame

Because you agree with it. Which proves my point about you know. Hypocrisy. Thanks for playing!

This is just stupid, See above.

So is redneckism but I could care less either way. ;)

Bitter much that the constitution was upheld? :roll:

Last edited:

laughable. the people most likely to misuse firearms are protected-by the Fifth Amendment-from having to register them.

you do know every group that seeks a complete gun bans says registration is the most useful tool to accomplish that?

You do know Chuck Schumer says registration can be used to impose punitive taxes on gun owners.

why do you liberals want to hassle honest people?

are you criminal protectors? or do you think laws should be fashioned to harass those of use who don't buy into your leftist agendas?

Its arguments like this that separate the completely out there gun fanatics from the rest of society.

Yes.....I'm a "criminal protector" :roll: who wants to harrass and hassle people.....get real.....responsibility and accountability are not bad words......in fact....they are probably the two most powerful tools that we have to ensure that our "rights" will continue to be protected.

Back
Top Bottom