• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Supreme Court Allows Rhode Island To Make Voting By Mail Easier Amid Pandemic

hang on. Rhode Island is actually making it easier for people to cast their vote during a pandemic??

the hell you say.

hang on. Rhode Island is actually making it easier for people to cast their vote during a pandemic??

the hell you say.

Much to the chagrin of Republicans.

The issue isn't exclusively the box, but what goes into the box.
But Rhode Island controls its own elections, so I guess they can change their rules as they wish.

The post I replied to dishonestly left off the caption that doesn’t balance with the attempted point.

Well, it does raise a question: How would one find out about voter fraud if it does occur?

For example, let us pretend after you mailed off your ballot, your postman, who delivers your mail and knows that you vote Democratic takes your ballot home with him and shreds it. Or the Registrar of voters takes your ballot and puts it in a bin and does not count it.

How would you be able verify if your vote was either properly counted or improperly discounted?

I voted by mail last month for the primary. I signed up to track my ballot. One day after mailing, I got a text that the ballot was received. The next day I got a text that my ballot was signature verified and counted.

Mail in voting works, that is a fact.

Why cut the caption off?

Caption for the above photo: A voter places a ballot in a secure box in Providence, R.I., in June for the state's presidential primary. The U.S. Supreme Court says the state can suspend its witness or notary requirement to vote by mail in the fall elections.
Steven Senne/AP

Because my focus was on the picture - which looks sketchy. It doesn't give a sense of being secure at all. It looks like it's in an alley - a box attached to the wall in a hurry with printed signs attached with packing tape. Next to an emergency exit on a building. Doesn't inspire confidence.

The content of the caption is why the caption was omitted. They like to play dirty.

Who likes to play dirty?

See note above. People don't routinely include captions here, especially when the issue is what's pictured.

Well, it does raise a question: How would one find out about voter fraud if it does occur?

For example, let us pretend after you mailed off your ballot, your postman, who delivers your mail and knows that you vote Democratic takes your ballot home with him and shreds it. Or the Registrar of voters takes your ballot and puts it in a bin and does not count it.

How would you be able verify if your vote was either properly counted or improperly discounted?

Every time I've voted in person, I've had to tell someone my name and address, and they check it off. This happens in full view. If someone had voted in my name, it'd already be crossed off, I wouldn't be allowed to vote, and I'd make sure local reporters at least had a chance to look into it. It'd be easy to vote in someone's name, but it doesn't seem to happen.

I have to presume that if someone's mail-in ballot is rejected for a reason like that, they are actually told about the fact, that someone actually looks into it. After all, it's illegal to vote more than once and there are plenty of people stupid enough to try mailing in multiple ballots. I doubt they're just discarded and that's the end of it. I similarly have to assume that a record is made when your ballot is counted and that you could, if you wanted, make sure of this.

They do catch people for vote fraud, it's just not anywhere near enough people to be an issue in national elections, likely not even in local ones. I'm not in favor of any big change with the likely effect of disenfranchisement of voters close to an election. Trying to fix what isn't broken has a way of going wrong. And seeing the GOP's current combined strategy of resisting COVID-related restrictions, their history of telling people it is a hoax or isn't as serious as the experts say, their supporters' likelihood to believe these things, their attacks on mail-in voting, and Trump's kneecapping of USPS on top of denial of funds to make mail-in ballots workable on a large scale, I seriously doubt their motives regarding any last-minute voter ID push.

Every time I've voted in person, I've had to tell someone my name and address, and they check it off. If someone had voted in my name, it'd already be crossed off, I wouldn't be allowed to vote, and I'd make sure local reporters at least had a chance to look into it.

I have to presume that if someone's mail-in ballot is rejected for a reason like that, they are actually told about the fact, that someone actually looks into it. After all, it's illegal to vote more than once and there are plenty of people stupid enough to try mailing in multiple ballots. I doubt they're just discarded and that's the end of it. I similarly have to assume that a record is made when your ballot is counted and that you could, if you wanted, make sure of this.

They do catch people for vote fraud, it's just not anywhere near enough people to be an issue in national elections, likely not even in local ones. I'm not in favor of any big change with the likely effect of disenfranchisement of voters close to an election. Trying to fix what isn't broken has a way of going wrong. And seeing the GOP's current combined strategy of resisting COVID-related restrictions, their history of telling people it is a hoax or isn't as serious as the experts say, their supporters' likelihood to believe these things, their attacks on mail-in voting, and Trump's kneecapping of USPS on top of denial of funds to make mail-in ballots workable on a large scale, I seriously doubt their motives regarding any last-minute voter ID push.

Same in my state, but we have an ID requirement as well. Before the primary 80% of Arizona voters voted by mail. The number was much higher for the primary, as was voter turnout. And there were no issues reported.

Because my focus was on the picture - which looks sketchy. It doesn't give a sense of being secure at all. It looks like it's in an alley - a box attached to the wall in a hurry with printed signs attached with packing tape. Next to an emergency exit on a building. Doesn't inspire confidence.

Yeah, that’s the ticket! Every picture I see, I go with what I want to see, regardless of what the caption says.

You would have been better served just not responding........:shrug:

Who likes to play dirty?

See note above. People don't routinely include captions here, especially when the issue is what's pictured.

:stop:

How do you know what’s pictured if you don’t look at the caption.

Weak tea, dc!

Most states allow you to track your absentee ballot online.

:stop:

How do you know what’s pictured if you don’t look at the caption.

Weak tea, dc!

You seem to be trying extraordinarily hard on this. The fact it was called a "secure box" doesn't match the picture. That's one of the nice things about pictures - you can see what's gong on without the filter of the publication.

Yeah, that’s the ticket! Every picture I see, I go with what I want to see, regardless of what the caption says.

You would have been better served just not responding........:shrug:

I would suggest that you do look at the picture, and what it shows, rather than blindly relying on the caption. This box doesn't look secure or official at all.

Notice how the people always hair-pulling about voter fraud never provide any meaningful evidence of it? It's "oh, there was this one guy in this local election" or "oh, this stupid Trumipst voted twice for Trump to counter delusions of 'millions of illegals' voting".

[FONT="]The Bush DOJ came up with either 86 or 87 cases of technically invalidly cast ballot, but not fraudulently cast ballots, after searching from 2003-2007. Another thing I wish I could remember the link to came up with about 30-40 cases of actual prosecuted vote fraud over some period of time I don't recall, but in national elections, and only about 30% of them were convicted.
[/FONT]

In 5-Year Effort, Scant Evidence of Voter Fraud - The New York Times

It's not a thing.

If it was, the Bush DOJ would have found it. If it's a brand new thing, newspapers would be positively clogged with stories of people who were turned away at that ballot box because their name was already crossed off the list, someone having fraudulently voted in their place.

If was a thing, the voter suppression cheerleaders would present something other than dead people on voter rolls: they'd present proof that votes were cast in their names. Instead it's just fear mongering and a smattering of innocent factoids you're supposed to assume the worst about.

And if it was a thing, someone would have sold their story to some news outlet, confessing while backlit that he was a vote fraudster.

Yup, there's nothing wrong with secure drop boxes. Colorado uses them all the time, I really like them.

We have those and that's what I use...it's by our library. IMO it's the best of both worlds, less traveling around for the ballots, one big collection site, no sorting, etc.

This is the barely coherent and grammatically inept speech of a man who desperately wants to be able to claim that he "cured coronavirus."

That's it, in a nutshell. When we do get a handle on this crisis, he wants to be able to pull out footage and declare "I called it! I said use this! I said try this! I told them to do this, it was my idea!" He's just doing it with lots of stupid stuff because he doesnt want to miss an opportunity. He's afraid 'the big one' will be mentioned and he wont get credit for it.

It's all about declaring himself the savior of the cv crisis and we'll hear all about it, esp in his campaign. (Which is basically each of his press briefings these days) --- Lursa

How do you do that with 'in-person- voting?

This is the barely coherent and grammatically inept speech of a man who desperately wants to be able to claim that he "cured coronavirus."

That's it, in a nutshell. When we do get a handle on this crisis, he wants to be able to pull out footage and declare "I called it! I said use this! I said try this! I told them to do this, it was my idea!" He's just doing it with lots of stupid stuff because he doesnt want to miss an opportunity. He's afraid 'the big one' will be mentioned and he wont get credit for it.

It's all about declaring himself the savior of the cv crisis and we'll hear all about it, esp in his campaign. (Which is basically each of his press briefings these days) --- Lursa

We have those and that's what I use...it's by our library. IMO it's the best of both worlds, less traveling around for the ballots, one big collection site, no sorting, etc.

They're great. They're emptied on the reg, it goes right to the election officials, no middle man. Scanned and counted. We get updates on our ballots at each step of the way. It's ****ing stupid to do it otherwise, but I suppose if people voting means one will lose, they may want to rig things to be the dumbest of all possible systems. PA wanted to use drop boxes, and Trump sued them. He's obviously very VERY scared of Mail-In voting.

They're great. They're emptied on the reg, it goes right to the election officials, no middle man. Scanned and counted. We get updates on our ballots at each step of the way. It's ****ing stupid to do it otherwise, but I suppose if people voting means one will lose, they may want to rig things to be the dumbest of all possible systems. PA wanted to use drop boxes, and Trump sued them. He's obviously very VERY scared of Mail-In voting.

Yup. Works very well.

How do you do that with 'in-person- voting?

Good question. At the end of the day, it is a matter of faith. That is, in order to trust the process, you have to have faith in the institutions of democracy and trust the people tasked with carrying the ballots and counting the ballots.

Last edited:

I don't know about other states but her in Arizona when my ballot is received and counted I get a text stating so.

If only there were a system for tracking votes....

allow UOCAVA voters to track the receipt of their absentee ballots through a free access system.
The Uniformed And Overseas Citizens Absentee Voting Act

Thanks Obama!

You had to get your vote notarized?

That seems above and beyond. Glad they did away with that.

I don't know if it was changed, but absentee voting while in the military I had to get an commissioned officer to sign the verification on the ballot that it was mine. I guess that sort of an unofficial notary public.

I would suggest that you do look at the picture, and what it shows, rather than blindly relying on the caption. This box doesn't look secure or official at all.

The man in the blue mask is a poll watcher. It's secure.

The man in the blue mask is a poll watcher. It's secure.

Really? How can you tell that? Which party? How do you know that someone didn't buy their own lockbox on Amazon, and stick it up there?

I don't think you understand 'secure'.

Back
Top Bottom