• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

"Straight Talk for White Men" - Nicholas Kristof

That's how you know it's a societal problem rather than just white males being evil.

Did you ever think that perhaps it might be worth while to look into the reason white men are preferred? Maybe, just maybe, it's not some grave injustice, but a reflection of actual problems in minority populations? Nah, why do that when you can blame the white man.

Did you ever think that perhaps it might be worth while to look into the reason white men are preferred? Maybe, just maybe, it's not some grave injustice, but a reflection of actual problems in minority populations? Nah, why do that when you can blame the white man.

You might want to read some of the links. When identical resumes are sent in, with only the names changed, and the "white" name is chosen over the "non-white" name - there is a bias toward preferencing whites.

Why that bias has arisen we could argue all day. but there is nothing inherently "better" about being white. We're all the same species.

The "check your priviledge" meme is a left-wing fantasy, to be responded to only with derision.

You might want to read some of the links. When identical resumes are sent in, with only the names changed, and the "white" name is chosen over the "non-white" name - there is a bias toward preferencing whites.

Why that bias has arisen we could argue all day. but there is nothing inherently "better" about being white. We're all the same species.

That doesn't change anything I said. There is more to getting a job than what is written on a piece of paper as your qualifications. Life isn't fair and when an entire group of people are seen as bad workers and generally disorderly it will adversely affect the group. Furthermore, there is a such thing as risk and cost management and if your group is a higher risk and or a higher cost for someone to employ they will not consider you unless they must.

Last edited:
The "check your priviledge" meme is a left-wing fantasy, to be responded to only with derision.

How do you explain the phenomena reported in the OP's quote?

What garbage.. Garbage eaten up by dumpster divers, go figure! I was born poor, wore unisex jeans all through high-school, I joined the military and grew up, then came out and started working my arse off. No one gave me anything, and no one is still giving me anything! Work hard, grow up, get away from losers and surround yourself with motivated individuals (Regardless of what color they are) and you will most likely succeed in life. Drop our of high-school, or forgo learning a trade, get pregnant as a teenager (both men and women) and you can just about kiss success on the butt-hole! Why is it that you don't find any Jews on welfare, or Asians, and why is it that most latinos, even the one's here illegally have stable family structures, and work their damn asses off to get somewhere? It's not about race, it's about culture, and hard work! It's not rocket-science!

Tim-

I thought this op-ed points out pretty well how our country is still geared so that white men have more privileges just by virtue of being white men. And sure, there are white men who don't get to leverage that privilege due to their poverty or where they live. But for many, it seems true.

I'm pasting more than I normally would due to the paywall; but there is more to the article. If you can't get to it, might try google searching it and see if you can get to it that way.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/22/opinion/sunday/nicholas-kristof-straight-talk-for-white-men.html?smid=tw-share&_r=0

I'm a white woman, and there's no headwind in my life. Maybe Nicholas needs to hang out with some strong women and not whiners and victims.

LOL !

Imagine that. The NYT publishes a article that perpetuates some progressive false narrative and demonizes " White people " at the same time.

Seems like a guilty white liberal knee jerk reaction there.

No, you don't get it at all. The privilege is that a white male is less likely to live in poverty than any other demographic. Unless you're actually going to argue that white males are actually superior to everybody else, you must see that there is a benefit conferred upon that group by society. White males in poverty are still experiencing privilege. They would be worse off if they were anything else. Privilege does not necessarily make your life good. It just means that society will act to make your life better over other people, despite there being no reason to choose you over another.

No, not superior, but superior life choices, anyway.

Succeeding in the US fairly straight forward, but not exactly easy to do as it takes from self-discipline, running counter to the instance gratification culture many of the young people seem to have.

1. Get as much education as you can
  2. Avoid activities that lead to legal entanglements (gangs, drugs, etc)
  3. Avoid being a child with a child, wait until married and stable a few years
  4. Apply yourself at your job, looking to learn all you can and advance as far as you can

Do you not think that the first step to addressing this problem is to first acknowledge that it at least exists? Look in this thread or any other on this topic and you'll see a lot of denial. In the example the OP mentioned about the resumes with no difference but adding a black-sounding name, don't you think that if an HR person knew about this trend that they'd be more likely to notice it in themselves and choose to move past it? The very fact that you think that acknowledging this trend means tearing down white males is part of the problematic mindset. It's not a contest. No one is getting torn down. It's just about society realizing that it should stop treating some people as if they're better than other people.

Why? Why give any credence or credibility to this leftist invented problem?

I'll wager that these are the life choices and life course that many families support and reenforce in their children, and you are calling it white privilege?

Seems that those who follow the 4 simple rules are 'privileged' in yours and others minds somehow.

I do think it is important to recognize a problem in order to fix it, but I disagree with the premise of your diagnosis which seems to be, "white males are a problem that needs to be fixed". Clearly white males can't help that they are white, or male, or the target of 'social justice' campaigns...whatever that means.

So, the first step is to identify the real problem, which is (insert your answer here if you want to have a real debate).

There ya go. I think that 'White Males' have already been fixed enough - Google up 'Feminization of Men'.

Never have I said "white males are a problem that needs to be fixed". If that message is being sent, it's sent by a tiny minority of those who are discussing this issue. Societal preference for white males is a problem that needs to be fixed. That is the real problem. That's what the OP is talking about and what I am talking about. But I understand that it is natural to resent the idea that your successes are due (in part) to privilege and not to your own efforts.

So in other words, you don't like the society as it is now, and you want to change it, regardless of the majority opinion, because, I have a feeling that majority are happy with it as it is.

What garbage.. Garbage eaten up by dumpster divers, go figure! I was born poor, wore unisex jeans all through high-school, I joined the military and grew up, then came out and started working my arse off. No one gave me anything, and no one is still giving me anything! Work hard, grow up, get away from losers and surround yourself with motivated individuals (Regardless of what color they are) and you will most likely succeed in life. Drop our of high-school, or forgo learning a trade, get pregnant as a teenager (both men and women) and you can just about kiss success on the butt-hole! Why is it that you don't find any Jews on welfare, or Asians, and why is it that most latinos, even the one's here illegally have stable family structures, and work their damn asses off to get somewhere? It's not about race, it's about culture, and hard work! It's not rocket-science!

Tim-

100% agree with you Tim. A living example of the 4 rules I posted earlier, and the success that it can lead to in live.

....So in other words, you don't like the society as it is now, and you want to change it, regardless of the majority opinion, because, I have a feeling that majority are happy with it as it is.

I'm confused. Did you write the above to defend slavery, Jim Crow segregation laws, or to defend current racism as documented in the OP's quote?

I'm confused. Did you write the above to defend slavery, Jim Crow segregation laws, or to defend current racism as documented in the OP's quote?

There is no white privilege.

It's a foolish leftist invention so that they can feel guilty about something, and then turn around and exhort public monies to address this invented social ill, enabling their greater control and power.

Next thing you'll know part of white privilege will be to pay for Slavery Reparations.

There is no white privilege.

which is why of course women and minorities are fully represented on board of directors in proportion to their percentage in the population.

oh wait...they aren't???? hmmmmm......

which is why of course women and minorities are fully represented on board of directors in proportion to their percentage in the population.

oh wait...they aren't???? hmmmmm......

Your assertion that because 'women and minorities are fully represented on board of directors in proportion to their percentage in the population' there must exist white privilege is weak at best.

Occam's razor suggests that there are many other possibilities that can result in that outcome.

Perhaps it's only foolish white men who are willing to commit that much of their lives, long hours each and every day, 6 or 7 days a week, foregoing vacations and family times which it takes to achieve that level of success?

Perhaps it's only white men who are driven enough to succeed in business at that level? Some soft of inherent character flaw.

Only two, of probably many more, far more simpler possibilities that would have the same results.

The most disturbing that in that this 'white privilege' notion has evolved into what appears to be a drive to eliminate white male self expression (should be be allowed to be pissed off on occasion?)

Critical Race Theory, Racial Microaggressions, and Campus Racial Climate: The Experiences of African American College Students

Colleges Campuses Are Full Of Subtle Racism And Sexism, Study Says

It appears that according to the excessive political correct fools and their supporters, the answer is no. If you are a white male, you are not allowed to show your frustrations. No micro-aggressions allowed. Everyone else? I'm assuming that it'd be 'restorative justice'.

And now, seriously? You expect me to buy into this tripe and to support it? Really? :lamo

Nothing pisses off a conservative white male more than the suggestion that they would be just like the "thugs" they feel superior to if they'd been born into the same circumstances, or that those same people would be just as prosperous as they are if they'd been born middle class and comfortable. We fetishize personal success in this country, to the point where the reality that most "success" is really just staying where you started out freaks a lot of people out. Most people, be they rich, middle class, or poor, stay in the class they were born. Very few people are exceptional enough to rise above their origins, and most who do only do so because of a lucky opportunity. The talent and drive to take advantage of such an opportunity is not rare, but so few people ever get the chance to use them. This doesn't sit well with a lot of cynical people who think themselves superior to others around them.

Nothing pisses us off more because it's retarded. I lived in ****ty, poverty-and-crime-stricken neighborhoods growing up. I was homeless for a period of time. But I made a conscious decision to get out of the situation and did. Others make a similar decision to make their lives worse, and do. Everybody has choices. Some are just bad at making decisions. That's not my fault.

And now, seriously? You expect me to buy into this tripe and to support it? Really?

I expect nothing of you, actually. Not even to read the studies that show how people react differently based on resumes or teachers seeming to be white male vs. female or minority.

Nothing. Absolutely nothing is expected of you.

Feel better?

I expect nothing of you, actually. Not even to read the studies that show how people react differently based on resumes or teachers seeming to be white male vs. female or minority.

Nothing. Absolutely nothing is expected of you.

Feel better?

No, but I'm sure you feel full justified to inflict this tripe on the nation, much to it's detriment, and that's kinda the point, isn't it?

No, but I'm sure you feel full justified to inflict this tripe on the nation, much to it's detriment, and that's kinda the point, isn't it?

Um, this is a discussion forum, isn't it? last I heard it was here to - well, discuss things. You can of course call it tripe; that's your opinion. But yes, I feel fully justified to post things on this forum assuming I'm following the rules.

If the entire nation is reading this thread, I'm quite honored.

I'm betting a lot more people read the article in the NY Times than ever read this thread though.

Back
Top Bottom