• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Stores can't force me to wear a mask!!!!

You should try arguing something other than a strawman. As I have previously shown two polls (the poll had results from a previous one as well) show that white people wear masks at lower rates than minorities. So that alone blows your argument about minorities being disproportionately impacted by penalties for not wearing a mask out of the water. If they are wearing masks at greater rates than whites, then increasing the rates that whites wear masks while in indoor public areas actually benefits minorities.

Moreover, in virtually every city in the country right now, workers in direct contact with customers are required to wear masks and businesses can be fined for non-compliance. Which is the point, as demonstrated in previous links, workers that come into contact with customers are by and large already wearing masks, the problem is customers that are not in full compliance.

Which is where your whole intellectual dishonesty comes in. You are trying to argue that penalties for not wearing masks in indoor public areas would disproportionately hurt minority communities when in fact, from all the available evidence, we know that it would actually benefit those communities and reduce COVID infection rates in those communities. If someone is working as a cashier, it is to their benefit if everyone that they come in contact with during their work day has a mask on and is wearing it properly over their mouth and nose. Reducing penalties for non-mask compliance only increases the number of customers that cashier will come into contact that day that don't have a mask on properly, and thus doesn't help them, it hurts them.
You keep repeating the same false information; the studies you linked show mask compliance at identical rates, within the margin of error. You quoted numbers that were just slightly outside of the margin of error, which still doesn't explain why you think white people are spreading disease but not getting sick themselves (at the same rate as minority populations.) If it was maskless white people running around, minority communities would have less covid spread and non minority populations would be spreading it among themselves and their families at rates greater than the rest of the population.

Since we know that's not true, your intellectually dishonest attempts to repeat false information and force conclusions that defy the findings of the very study you are quoting is baffling.

We can work backwards very simply; minority populations have disproportionately high spread of Covid; if we fine people that spread covid, we will disproportionately fine minority populations. It's really that simple.

Pushing racist policies designed to punish minorities for engaging in the same behavior as non minorities is going to get some push back. Even in the United States.

Why are the customers in non compliance? Do you have a study that says that? All places I've been require workers and customers to wear masks. Do lots of places force workers to wear masks but not customers? You're making that up.

A business is fined for it's employees not complying with state and municipal mask requirements. A customer is not. Moreover, we know that employees in customer facing rolls are 5 times more likely to contract COVID:

Finally, a mask offers only marginal protection against contracting COVID for the wearer, but mask usage significantly reduces the spread of COVID from infected people. Which is the point, a worker dealing with customers benefits from strict mask compliance on the part of the customers they deal with.

As we have a percentage of the population that are just dicks and either refuse to wear a mask, or refuse to wear one properly when in indoor public areas, perhaps would should look at fines just like we do for people that speed through school zones and make other choices that endanger the lives and welfare of others.

You keep repeating the same false information; the studies you linked show mask compliance at identical rates, within the margin of error. You quoted numbers that were just slightly outside of the margin of error, which still doesn't explain why you think white people are spreading disease but not getting sick themselves (at the same rate as minority populations.) If it was maskless white people running around, minority communities would have less covid spread and non minority populations would be spreading it among themselves and their families at rates greater than the rest of the population.

Since we know that's not true, your intellectually dishonest attempts to repeat false information and force conclusions that defy the findings of the very study you are quoting is baffling.

We can work backwards very simply; minority populations have disproportionately high spread of Covid; if we fine people that spread covid, we will disproportionately fine minority populations. It's really that simple.

Pushing racist policies designed to punish minorities for engaging in the same behavior as non minorities is going to get some push back. Even in the United States.

OMG, that post is just utterly shameful. No one is talking about fining those that spread COVID. What they are talking about is fining those that do not comply with regulations regarding mask usage.

Moreover, a 2% margin of error does not explain a 6% difference in mask usage between demographics.

I have been on this forum since 2005. When I am wrong, I admit it. You can go back and look through my posts if you would like. I have admitted being wrong a lot of times over the years. You should try that yourself.

At this point I don't care. There is no point in debating someone that would rather engage in intellectual dishonesty, strawman arguments, and mischaracterizations than simply at admit that they were mistaken. My ignore list just keeps getting longer unfortunately. Good luck.

1. That's... that's not how margin of error works...

2. I agreed with you! The data is clear! Which is why I stated that mask laws would disproportionately impact minority populations, as they are more likely to be out interacting with others! That's the whole point! No one is going to fine Allan the IT analyst for not wearing a mask while he works at home in his basement, but Mike who works around people will get fined. That's the whole point.

And policies like this need to be nipped at the bud because people are already talking about more policies like not allowing unvaxxinated persons into schools or on airplanes or in jobs. With minority acceptance of and likelihood of getting Covid vaccines much, much lower than the general population, such policies would be another blow to upward mobility and life opportunities for minority populations, removing access to employment, travel and education. Couple that with fining minorities whenever they leave the house, and scapegoating minorities for the overrepresented cases of Covid among minority populations, and decades of progress could be undone.

And again, yes, I get that undoing such progress is the point of such laws. I still think it's wrong.

Ah, so you’re opposed to protecting minority populations.

Kinda odd.

Actually it is not a "loaded question" or as the one term mistake called them "a gotcha question. It is the only question that you need to ask yourself next time you enter a store without a mask. Why do I get off on the chance that someone will die because of my actions? You need to find the answer.

In my career I have seen people die from herpes infections - mostly type 2. Are you willing to tell people to stop having multiple sex partners? I'm interested in knowing where you draw the line in the sand.
What? It's already in your system in the scenario you just described. Try thinking before you post; it really does help.

No - keep up - I'm talking about a non infected person wearing a mask into a contaminated environment and what happens in that scenario .
Mask wearing 101 - if your mask becomes contaminated - change it when you leave that environment. If you are in a contaminated area you have to assume contamination - change it when you leave. As I also said we wear procedure masks over the N95 mask as an easily shed outer layer. It works for the above "assumed contamination" situations. Any mask that is sprayed directly is considered contaminated and should be discarded immediately (as circumstance allows of course).
By not changing your mask any virus particles on it will eventually be sucked through the mask material and into your system. Understand now?

Ah, so you’re opposed to protecting minority populations.

Kinda odd.
I'm categorically for assisting and supporting minority populations in ways that are needed and wanted. I'm opposed to "fining them for their own good" as other posters are suggesting we do.

OMG, that post is just utterly shameful. No one is talking about fining those that spread COVID. What they are talking about is fining those that do not comply with regulations regarding mask usage.

Moreover, a 2% margin of error does not explain a 6% difference in mask usage between demographics.

I have been on this forum since 2005. When I am wrong, I admit it. You can go back and look through my posts if you would like. I have admitted being wrong a lot of times over the years. You should try that yourself.

At this point I don't care. There is no point in debating someone that would rather engage in intellectual dishonesty, strawman arguments, and mischaracterizations than simply at admit that they were mistaken. My ignore list just keeps getting longer unfortunately. Good luck.
Thank you for the discussion.

In my career I have seen people die from herpes infections - mostly type 2. Are you willing to tell people to stop having multiple sex partners? I'm interested in knowing where you draw the line in the sand.

No - keep up - I'm talking about a non infected person wearing a mask into a contaminated environment and what happens in that scenario .
Mask wearing 101 - if your mask becomes contaminated - change it when you leave that environment. If you are in a contaminated area you have to assume contamination - change it when you leave. As I also said we wear procedure masks over the N95 mask as an easily shed outer layer. It works for the above "assumed contamination" situations. Any mask that is sprayed directly is considered contaminated and should be discarded immediately (as circumstance allows of course).
By not changing your mask any virus particles on it will eventually be sucked through the mask material and into your system. Understand now?
You are kidding right? You are comparing wearing a mask to stopping sex? Trust me it won't emasculate you to wear a mask in public spaces. You must be very insecure about your sexuality. :ROFLMAO:

You are kidding right? You are comparing wearing a mask to stopping sex? Trust me it won't emasculate you to wear a mask in public spaces. You must be very insecure about your sexuality. :ROFLMAO:

Emasculated? Wow, that's textbook Projection if ever there was. And no, I wasn't comparing the two - you're the one who went there. I only asked where do you draw the line when it comes to protecting others and merely gave an example of another disease that has been the cause of death in numerous people. HIV may have been a better example than herpes anyway - it's an STD with a higher fatality rate. So your multiple partner sex is sacrosanct to you and you feel no moral obligation to make sure STDs are not passed along. Got it. We know where your line in the sand is drawn. Oh as the emasculated thing goes .... Since you have paranoia issues there you may wish to seek some help. Since I'm a female (genetically, biologically, from birth - and every other natural way to be female) I don't have emasculation issues.

Back
Top Bottom