• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Stores can't force me to wear a mask!!!!

Sietske22

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
This is what I keep seeing in videos. Unmasked people yelling and protesting that stores can't require customers to wear a mask.

It violates their Civil Rights. It violates their Religious Freedom. It violates the Civil Rights Act. It violates Freedom of Commerce.

Bla bla bla.

Stores have the right to require shoes and a shirt. If they can require that they can require a mask due to a contageous pandemic that has killed almost 400,000 Americans.

Many of the stores are ALSO mandated by law. No masks means they get fined.

I'm just shocked and annoyed by all these failed legal and moral arguments made by anti-maskers.

If you REALLY hate masks, order online. Or by phone.

These stores are also private property. Which means they have a right to have a dress code. And also declare people tresspassers if they refuse to comply with their rules.

I though Conservatives LOVED private property rights and Law & Order?

Oh well.

You got that in Canada?

This is what I keep seeing in videos. Unmasked people yelling and protesting that stores can't require customers to wear a mask.

It violates their Civil Rights. It violates their Religious Freedom. It violates the Civil Rights Act. It violates Freedom of Commerce.

Bla bla bla.

Stores have the right to require shoes and a shirt. If they can require that they can require a mask due to a contageous pandemic that has killed almost 400,000 Americans.

I'm just shocked and annoyed by all these failed legal and moral arguments made by anti-maskers.

These stores are also private property. Which means they have a right to have a dress code. And also declare people tresspassers if they refuse to comply with their rules.

Oh well.
In general, we Americans don't understand our freedoms. It seems the majority think it means they can do whatever they want to because you know...freedom.
It really means we are generally free from our government.

Sorry.

Some still do. Let's just keep in mind that a lot of conservatives do mask up.

For the anti-maskers, there's a few things going on. One is pure partisanship, where it is more important to stick with "the team" and/or "pwn the libs" than to keep one's self, or one's family, or one's community, safe.

Another issue is the anti-science attitude of the right, which is also fed into from partisanship.

A third issue is that modern conservatism has a heavy emphasis on the individual, and antipathy to the state. The idea of collective action, and a challenge that really requires government coordination and involvement, is downright galling to many conservatives today. At the risk of overstating things, perhaps some people prefer to get sick, and possibly die, rather than admit that government actually has an important role to play in addressing problems.

To me, resisting masks is just madness (and maddening). It's no more of an infringement on liberty than wearing a seat belt. This never should have become a partisan issue.

Rejecting a health protection rule, for political partison reasons, is insane. And ignorant.

Better to just wear a mask that says "Trump" on it. Or "masks don't work".

Bla bla bla.

Oh well.
Those idiots don't have their own store.
Insurance companies insist the stores enforce mask wearing because of the potential of liability - just like wearing shoes
Attorneys advise mask enforcement for the same reason.
Stores must protect their workers, especially those in contact with the customers, such as cashiers. If the cashiers and other store employees get sick, they can sue the store for not protecting them from the public by enforcing their mask rules.

Stores should simply make it known that nobody will be served at the checkout line if they've refused to wear a mask.
Personally, I have told local deli owners that if they don't enforce their own mask wearing rules - the sign on their door - then I won't patronize them. If a store thinks violators are costing them business, they'll insist that people either comply, or shop elsewhere.

You got that in Canada?
Oh ya, we have that here. The crazy is spilling North. I know people here, not many, but they exist, who like Trump. Ya, you heard that correctly. People that went to school here. It’s sad.

Dang conservative Biden voters literally killing people over masks.

Bla bla bla.

Oh well.
Well they can ask you to leave. The big problem is the people making the rules are not following their own rules and that makes it difficult to get buy in.

Bla bla bla.

Pay no attention, these are nothing but morons, Trumpists if you will.

I've only seen one person get riled. An older guy going into a Walmart grumped at the girl at the door who reminded him to wear a mask. "This is ridiculous!" he complained.

"Real men don't whine like toddlers" is what I wanted to say. But then I reminded myself that real men also don't get into bitching matches with whiny old men at Walmart.

Bla bla bla.

Oh well.
The only time I hear about anti-maskers are when you complain about them. I never hear directly from them.

Unclear on the concept:

Saw a guy in a grocery store aisle pull down his mask to sneeze.
Watched a helpful guy wheel a shopping cart in through the front door (bypassing the cart sanitizing equipment) and leave it at the front of the row of carts.
🙃

I've only seen one person get riled. An older guy going into a Walmart grumped at the girl at the door who reminded him to wear a mask. "This is ridiculous!" he complained.

"Real men don't whine like toddlers" is what I wanted to say. But then I reminded myself that real men also don't get into bitching matches with whiny old men at Walmart.

Yeah I wouldn't have been able to help myself.
I have been told I have no filter and I have spent over a decade in the bar business so my tolerance for assholes is somewhat limited...

Rejecting a health protection rule, for political partison reasons, is insane. And ignorant.

Better to just wear a mask that says "Trump" on it. Or "masks don't work".

In the United States back in 1918 it also landed a lot of folks in jail, and some even got shot by officials after the anti-maskers tried to attack them.
We're dumber than we were back then because had we just gone all hardcore right from the start, the anti-maskers would have shut up and done their duty as members of society. But no, apparently these days we coddle idiots and bullies because they're "so special".

Yes, this IS a REAL photograph. It's part of a collection of 1918 pandemic photos from various newspaper archives.

or go to jail.jpg

In the United States back in 1918 it also landed a lot of folks in jail, and some even got shot by officials after the anti-maskers tried to attack them.
We're dumber than we were back then because had we just gone all hardcore right from the start, the anti-maskers would have shut up and done their duty as members of society. But no, apparently these days we coddle idiots and bullies because they're "so special".

Yes, this IS a REAL photograph. It's part of a collection of 1918 pandemic photos from various newspaper archives.

View attachment 67313512
Of note in the photo is the slimness of them all. Pre-McDonald's and processed food.

Bla bla bla.

Oh well.
To be fair, no mask has nothing to do with conservative beliefs. It has to do with Trumpism, and yes there is a difference.

i support fining both the militant maskless and the stores that don't call the cops on them. i'm way past tired of this ****ing problem and it's time to do something about it.

i support fining both the militant maskless and the stores that don't call the cops on them. i'm way past tired of this ****ing problem and it's time to do something about it.
Minority populations in the United States are already over policed, over fined and disproportionately oppressed. Laws that would disproportionately incarcerate and fine them would only exacerbate problems in the United States.

Minority populations in the United States are already over policed, over fined and disproportionately oppressed. Laws that would disproportionately incarcerate and fine them would only exacerbate problems in the United States.

i didn't say anything about incarceration. i prefer fines. i'd say bonus points for the minority deflection, but it wasn't really that good.

mask up, or stay home.

i didn't say anything about incarceration. i prefer fines. i'd say bonus points for the minority deflection, but it wasn't really that good.

mask up, or stay home.
I did not intend to misrepresent your argument with regards to incarceration, and apologize.

But taking into consideration how policies would disproportionately punish minority communities in the United States is not deflection; it should be a serious concern.

And yes, I get that for most people it is not.

Back
Top Bottom