• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Steve King Puts Foot In Mouth

Like it or not...the modern world is largely due to whites.

King did not say the modern world. He said civilization. As in, since the agricultural revolution (which did not start in Europe, btw).

Yes, whites have dominated pretty much since the Renaissance. Keep in mind, much of that world was built on the backs of nonwhite slaves.

Why is it people like him happily buy into the idea of racial pride, but won't also admit racial guilt. If white people are collectively responsible for ambiguous "civilisation", why aren't they also collectively responsible for slavery, communism and the Holocaust?

That isn't nice. Your track record leaves a vapid trail of obsequious agreement with all that is liberal. In other words. if you are capable of thinking for yourself I have yet to see it.

And, not to repeat myself, when I get a reply like yours I just consider the source.

Ever care for a true debate, I'm game. I'll show you just how little you know.

Why is it people like him happily buy into the idea of racial pride, but won't also admit racial guilt. If white people are collectively responsible for ambiguous "civilisation", why aren't they also collectively responsible for slavery, communism and the Holocaust?

Well put. "Western Civilization" carries with it a host of things that I'm sure the esteemed Rep. King would disavow.

King did not say the modern world. He said civilization. As in, since the agricultural revolution (which did not start in Europe, btw).

Yes, whites have dominated pretty much since the Renaissance. Keep in mind, much of that world was built on the backs of nonwhite slaves.

I said this to my fiancee earlier -- "I'm sure the conquering of other peoples' resources made the Industrial Revolution a hell of a lot easier."

Sorry, but I beat you to this and you got it backwards. See post #20.

If you believe in racial responsibility, you need to claim all of it or none of it. You don't get to pick and choose.

Sure...as long as it is looked at in a full and open manner. Like say...400K slaves came to North America from Africa. During the same time, over 1 million white Europeans where taken as slaves by Africans during the Barbary Slave Trade.

Sure...as long as it is looked at in a full and open manner. Like say...400K slaves came to North America from Africa. During the same time, over 1 million white Europeans where taken as slaves by Africans during the Barbary Slave Trade.

Good. Now we're on track. This, of course, shows the sheer stupidity of the concept of racial responsibility. The average North African bears no more responsibility for the actions of Barbary pirates than they do the building of the Pyramids. Just like you have no responsibility for the Holodomor or invention of the car. Nor does Obama bear responsibility for the Mfecane or building Great Zimbabwe.

Congressman Steve King just embarrassed himself on MSNBC after pontificating: "Go back through history and think about where are these contributions that have been made by these other categories of people you are talking about. Where did any other sub-group of people contribute more to civilization [than white people]?"

Of course, the host and his other guests were taken aback. He promptly decided to move on from that potential firestorm (although he seems to regret doing that now). Really wish they would have gone ahead and debated it to see how far King would go.

Ignoring the fact that this was just not an appropriate subject to discuss, apparently Rep. King has never studied history before the 14th century.

1, The advancement of human society has been far greater since 1600 than before then. And it's almost all white European driven.

2, The White group he was talking about would include the Middle East.

3, This is mostly the result of China deliberatly abandoning the industrial revolution it was having 1000 years ago. In 1000 AD the island of Hinan produced 100,000 tonnes of iron. The Emperor did not like this though so he shut it down.

What a moron

Good. Now we're on track. This, of course, shows the sheer stupidity of the concept of racial responsibility. The average North African bears no more responsibility for the actions of Barbary pirates than they do the building of the Pyramids. Just like you have no responsibility for the Holodomor or invention of the car. Nor does Obama bear responsibility for the Mfecane or building Great Zimbabwe.

Agreed. Again, I think this type of thing was to counter the messaging among the left that everything bad in the world is because of whities. That kind of thing can't be trotted out with someone else responding from the other side of the stupid coin.

Do you have a source for the former claim? Figures elsewhere suggest over 10 million slaves arrived in the Americas, with millions more dying before arrival.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_slave_trade

Agreed. Again, I think this type of thing was to counter the messaging among the left that everything bad in the world is because of whities. That kind of thing can't be trotted out with someone else responding from the other side of the stupid coin.

:roll:

1, The advancement of human society has been far greater since 1600 than before then. And it's almost all white European driven.

2, The White group he was talking about would include the Middle East.

3, This is mostly the result of China deliberatly abandoning the industrial revolution it was having 1000 years ago. In 1000 AD the island of Hinan produced 100,000 tonnes of iron. The Emperor did not like this though so he shut it down.

That 'white group' had better include India and China too :lol: Europe's scientific revolution would never have got off the ground without adopting Chinese printing and Indian numerals (nor access to classical works largely preserved by Islamic scholars while Europeans were burning them as heretical). Fascinating stuff about the Song dynasty.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Song_dynasty

The vast majority of them went to the Caribbean and Central and South America. Look at the breakdowns.

Yes... if >6% of those slaves went to British North America your figure of 400k would already be over one third lower than the best estimate. Of course the French Americas (>13%) were primarily in North America - Quebec, Lousiana, Florida - and the Spanish Empire (>17%) controlled perhaps three quarters of the future eastern United States and much of eastern Canada. From those figures North America might easily have received over one and half million (~15%) of the slaves shipped across the Atlantic.

Also curious why you overlooked the other 8 million plus slaves which Britain and the other European powers shipped over? Just...
forgot?

That 'white group' had better include India and China too :lol: Europe's scientific revolution would never have got off the ground without adopting Chinese printing and Indian numerals (nor access to classical works largely preserved by Islamic scholars while Europeans were burning them as heretical). Fascinating stuff about the Song dynasty.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Song_dynasty

Well, yes. But I was trying to keep it simple.

Back
Top Bottom