• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Started weight training again

CLAX1911

Supreme knower of all
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
I did this back in my 20s and a pretty good and for whatever reason stopped. I've been wanting to get back into it and I did recently. Taking it slow.

I had an injury that seems to be unrelated, minor a strain in my back. Because I'm older now they take a little longer to heal.

Is there anybody else that a weightlifter in their forties and how long do you take off for an injury? How long is too long? I started feeling a lot better and I'm missing it.

I did this back in my 20s and a pretty good and for whatever reason stopped. I've been wanting to get back into it and I did recently. Taking it slow.

I had an injury that seems to be unrelated, minor a strain in my back. Because I'm older now they take a little longer to heal.

Is there anybody else that a weightlifter in their forties and how long do you take off for an injury? How long is too long? I started feeling a lot better and I'm missing it.
Like all exercise, start slow, every other day with a rest day between. Go a couple of weeks and step up a little bit, a little bit. Do that ever other week for 12 weeks. Then step up your number of sets, reps in a set. Keep a rest day in between or go to upper/lower body workouts on alternating days with a day off every third day.

Like all exercise, start slow, every other day with a rest day between. Go a couple of weeks and step up a little bit, a little bit. Do that ever other week for 12 weeks. Then step up your number of sets, reps in a set. Keep a rest day in between or go to upper/lower body workouts on alternating days with a day off every third day.
Yeah but my problem is an injury. Not a severe one just a strained muscle. And my issue for how long it takes to heal is a little off.

Do you do weight training have you ever been injured and if so when is the right time to start again after your injury?

Last edited:
Yeah but my problem is an injury. Not a severe one just a strained muscle. And my issue for how long it takes to heal is a little off.

Do you do weight training have you ever been injured and if so when is the right time to start again after your injury?
Yes I lifted most of my life, as an athlete and afterwards. Very active, and always went by what my body told me. If it hurts take it easy, if it hurts a lot take a day or two off, RICE. Rest, ice, compression, elevation. It totally depends on how bad you injury is. If not ok in a few days to where you can go back to a reduced workout, you need to see a doctor to make sure the minor injury is minor. I hard major surgery from an injury and the healing has been slow. Getting better but slowly. Waiting on when I an go back to working out. Listen to your body.

You don't want that to get worse, so I would stick with bench presses, curls, etc. that don't require much of your back muscles. Meanwhile maybe do some yoga/stretching for your back, and ease it back into condition with walking and some minor body weight stuff.

You don't want that to get worse, so I would stick with bench presses, curls, etc. that don't require much of your back muscles. Meanwhile maybe do some yoga/stretching for your back, and ease it back into condition with walking and some minor body weight stuff.
Yeah I've been stretching it's upper back so it doesn't engage much when you're doing a bench press or curls but like a military press or lat pulled down a row it does

Don't ask the internet these questions - talk to a PT or orthopedist.

Yes I lifted most of my life, as an athlete and afterwards. Very active, and always went by what my body told me. If it hurts take it easy, if it hurts a lot take a day or two off, RICE. Rest, ice, compression, elevation. It totally depends on how bad you injury is. If not ok in a few days to where you can go back to a reduced workout, you need to see a doctor to make sure the minor injury is minor. I hard major surgery from an injury and the healing has been slow. Getting better but slowly. Waiting on when I an go back to working out. Listen to your body.
It's just that this is a recommendation for treatment of depression and the monitor I sit and not do the gym stuff the more I find myself falling back into that rut and I don't want to go back there but I didn't want to compound a minor injury

I was worried the amount of days I took off I would lose my gains but I'm surprised that I was able to lift the same for as many reps.

Back
Top Bottom