• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Souls

Hi LM...I believe that the Bible supports the thought that we become a living soul at the time of conception...Psalm 139...

13 For you produced my kidneys;
You kept me screened off in my mother’s womb.

14 I praise you because in an awe-inspiring way I am wonderfully made.
Your works are wonderful,
I know this very well.

15 My bones were not hidden from you
When I was made in secret,
When I was woven in the depths of the earth.

16 Your eyes even saw me as an embryo;
All its parts were written in your book
Regarding the days when they were formed,
Before any of them existed."

Yikes. In the context of the original text and language, the author was metaphorically referring to ones innermost desires and emotions, not referring literally to their internal organs. Same with severely minimizing the metaphorical use of "substance", and reducing it to "bones". These passages don't come from a PDR. The use of metaphor was a foundation of the ancient Hebrew writing style. These new age translations which intentionally remove such context simply astounds me.

OM

Which is what you think you know or what you're saying you think you know for mischievous reasons all your own.

OK, you made me laugh. I'll grant you that one. :lol:

No, soul is the necessary and sufficient condition for empiricism, conceptualization, experience, consciousness.
The before and after are beyond our ken.

That sounds like a theistic description of God.

Hi LM...I believe that the Bible supports the thought that we become a living soul at the time of conception...Psalm 139...

13 For you produced my kidneys;
You kept me screened off in my mother’s womb.

14 I praise you because in an awe-inspiring way I am wonderfully made.
Your works are wonderful,
I know this very well.

15 My bones were not hidden from you
When I was made in secret,
When I was woven in the depths of the earth.

16 Your eyes even saw me as an embryo;
All its parts were written in your book
Regarding the days when they were formed,
Before any of them existed."

How does the soul of an identical twin work in that scheme?

How does the soul of an identical twin work in that scheme?

Two living souls...

The word “soul” in the Bible is a translation of the Hebrew word neʹphesh and the Greek word psy·kheʹ. The Hebrew word literally means “a creature that breathes,” and the Greek word means “a living being.” * The soul, then, is the entire creature, not something inside that survives the death of the body. Consider how the Bible shows that the human soul is the whole person

https://www.jw.org/en/bible-teachings/questions/what-is-a-soul/#?insight[search_id]=c135e797-b95a-4201-bae7-9d07ebf68371&insight[search_result_index]=0

I was asking the question in light of the passages you had posted which seemed to indicate ensoulment at conception. There is only one "conception" in the case of identical twins. They split later on.

That depends...twins occur when two fertilized eggs, instead of one are produced in the womb....fraternal twins occurs when babies develop from two eggs and two sperm...identical twins occurs when twins originate from a single fertilized egg that has divided shortly after conception...regardless, there are two living beings/souls...

No, soul is the necessary and sufficient condition for empiricism, conceptualization, experience, consciousness.
The before and after are beyond our ken.

What makes it necessary and how do you determine it is sufficient? How do you measure its sufficiency?

Really? So how does it answer when the soul comes into existence?

If you know the meaning of embodiment, it's self explanatory...

For the religious: When does one's soul come into existence ?

I would argue souls are supernatural and thus always exist in their own construct of reality. They come into form here in around the 3 month mark. Not all humans have souls. Brains etc are but vessels, systems of function with no inherent powers of being-ness.

Back
Top Bottom