• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Smile!...or Die

Hoplite

Technomancer
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
This is...a little out there but an interesting though, I have to admit.

The video sort of bumps this a little during it's course, but I find this concept somewhat interesting. We put high value on positivity and self-confidence when it comes to a job and the speaker says that this often gets placed ABOVE things like skills or experience when hiring and I think to a certain degree that's true, but why?

Why on earth would you hire someone because they had a good or self-confident attitude over someone who had more skills or better qualifications but maybe didn't present as strongly?

Perhaps it has to do with company image or with the esprit de corps of the company in general. Even if you are good, the company wont want to hire you if you give outsiders a bad impression or if you're dragging your co-workers down or even just not contributing to a good atmosphere.

It's all about motivation. Simply having the necessary skills is not enough, people who are self-confident and positive tend to be more willing to apply their skills and demonstrate a stronger work ethic. There are exceptions of course, but in general, enthusiasm indicates interest and willingness to do a job...lethargy, sarcasm, cynicism...not so much. Attitude, IMO, is in many cases, more important than skill because skills can be learned if you have a positive attitude and don't quit after a single setback. It's more difficult to teach someone to have a positive attitude.

Back
Top Bottom