• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Slain SEAL’s dad wants answers: ‘Don’t hide behind my son’s death’

Bull.

WASHINGTON ― President Donald Trump’s first overseas operation as commander in chief, a botched raid that led to the death of an American serviceman and significant civilian casualties, was never approved by former President Barack Obama before he left office, two top former national security officials said on Thursday.

The comments from Colin Kahl, the national security adviser to former Vice President Joe Biden, and Ned Price, a former White House spokesman, came after White House Press Secretary Sean Spicer tried to deflect blame by saying Obama’s team had approved the plan.

The attack involved several dozen U.S. commandos belonging to the Navy’s SEAL Team 6 storming the stronghold of an al Qaeda leader in central Yemen early Sunday morning, according to reports in Reuters and the New York Times. With the complex better fortified than expected, the Americans and allied troops from the United Arab Emirates were soon engaged in a firefight and forced to call in air support. Ultimately, Chief Special Warfare Operator William “Ryan” Owens and scores of Yemenis were killed, two Americans were wounded and a $70 million U.S. aircraft had to be deliberately destroyed.

Concern around Trump’s decision-making grew as lawmakers called for further information on the operation in harsh statements Thursday. The military had already announced that it would launch its own investigation."

Trump Effort To Pin Botched Yemen Raid On Barack Obama Falters

Source?

Your post looks suspiciously like FAKE NEWS

One of my biggest fears about Trump is that he doesn't comprehend the scope of the cost of war. I'm afraid he'll be trigger-happy in the middle east and he hasn't displayed a capacity for empathy. He's against the Iraq war but for expanding the military??? Something is schizophrenic about the sum of those.

I'm glad that Owen's father is pressing the WH for answers. The WH response to the botched raid was a disgrace. Trump okayed an under-prepared raid, we murdered innocent women and children and lost a navy SEAL. Then blamed it on Obama. And said anyone who says this wasn't a complete success is dishonorable. What a crock. They owe it to the father to come clean and pledge more caution next time when American and civilian lives are at stake. Trump you're not perfect. Everyone makes mistakes and the American people are optimistic. We'll forgive you if you acknowledge mistakes Mr. "No one is better at the military than me."

Sorry, but it makes me laugh when someone claims that someone else doesn't understand the cost of war and then spouts off after that saying that "we murdered innocent women and children" during a war operation.

War is hell. People get killed all the time. In fact a real war is about killing your opposition no matter the cost to anyone/thing that is not a part of your side. It's even got a name for it when unintended people and things get destroyed...collateral damage.

IMO it is all these "rules of engagement" that are holding us back from winning wars.

Now personally I hate war and if I was President I'd probably withdraw all troops back to the US outside of those guarding embassies. But I also wouldn't be a chicken **** about it and in today's day and age I wouldn't send one troop overseas. I'd just bomb the crap out of an area that held the people we're at war with from miles away. Want to **** with us or our allies? Ok. Here's what happens............... *kaboom*

Sorry, but it makes me laugh when someone claims that someone else doesn't understand the cost of war and then spouts off after that saying that "we murdered innocent women and children" during a war operation.

War is hell. People get killed all the time. In fact a real war is about killing your opposition no matter the cost to anyone/thing that is not a part of your side. It's even got a name for it when unintended people and things get destroyed...collateral damage.

IMO it is all these "rules of engagement" that are holding us back from winning wars.

Now personally I hate war and if I was President I'd probably withdraw all troops back to the US outside of those guarding embassies. But I also wouldn't be a chicken **** about it and in today's day and age I wouldn't send one troop overseas. I'd just bomb the crap out of an area that held the people we're at war with from miles away. Want to **** with us or our allies? Ok. Here's what happens............... *kaboom*

Don't ask me how this post became post #3......weird.

You have to ask?

Zero

Why not investigate? Personally, I think it's a waste of time but if the Democrats want to investigate an operation that was planned under the Obama administration and given the final go ahead by Trump then they should go for it.

Don't ask me how this post became post #3......weird.

I was going to until you said this.

The OP by Critical Thought continues to drop back and is at #7 as I post.

Future posts to this thread will come between mine and the OP at what I'm seeing as CT at 9:39 PM.

Last edited:
I was going to until you said this.

The OP by Critical Thought continues to drop back and is at #7 as I post.

Future posts to this thread will come between mine and the OP at what I'm seeing as CT at 9:39 PM.

I'm pretty sure it's a wormhole. Very, very strange stuff.

I'm pretty sure it's a wormhole. Very, very strange stuff.

:lamo:lamo. Let's see if this is post # 8 and nota bene moves back to #46.

Yes on my phone, as the OP is now #9 and the thread jumped from nota at #38 to Fearandloathing at #1 .

Last edited:
Ordinary people don't ever meet a President. This man was presented with a unique opportunity to meet with the President but, according to the headline, "spurned" it. I hope this clarifies.

nota, this post of yours I'm quoting used to be #38 and then subsequent posts started over at #1. The time I see for you was nine hours too late. The times starting over at #1 are correct. This post of mine should be #9 and the end of this thread. Just trying to help .

Last edited:
Ordinary people don't ever meet a President. This man was presented with a unique opportunity to meet with the President but, according to the headline, "spurned" it. I hope this clarifies.

nota, this post of yours I'm quoting used to be #38 and then subsequent posts started over at #1. The time I see for you was nine hours too late. The times starting over at #1 are correct. This post of mine should be #9 and the end of this thread. Just trying to help .

DUPLICATE, meaning nota has been backed up to #48 temporarily until the next post .

Last edited:
Father of SEAL killed in Yemen raid spurned meeting with Trump, wants answers | Miami Herald

There were seven investigations into Benghazi. How many investigations will there be into Yemen?

What investigation?

There isn't one needed we know what happened.

There was an military action that was approved under obama.
Trump executed the action at the advice of the military.

During such things sometimes things don't work out.
Unfortunately soldiers were killed in a military operation.

So I don't know what an investigation would reveal that we don't already know.

?...someone died on a raid against an armed compound, as a Navy Seal, the other was an ambassador that was killed not carrying out a military operation but having his compound raided by terrorist.

I think we know what happened

The militsry delayed the raid, word leaked out and tje element of surprise was lost

Answered and end of this thread! A grieving Dad should be left alone to grieve!!

So what is your point? You clearly have a conclusion in mind that you would like an investigation to prove for you. What is it?

We all know what happened. The Orange Fascist, desperate to prove his manhood, approved a mission that Obama had put on hold. a bunch of innocent civilians and a Navy Seal died as a result of his ill-advised attack of Machismo.

Yeah, imagine him wanting to mourn his son instead of posing with the Orange Fascist for propaganda purposes. How un-American.

Yeah, imagine him wanting to mourn his son instead of posing with the Orange Fascist for propaganda purposes. How un-American.

Just for everyone's knowledge, notice how your post ended up #14 and not #52, which was posted when we had the nine-hour problem.

Once we get past 10:51 PM, later posts will go at the end of these threads again.

Until then, the last post by nota will keep backing up, as we're seeing in every thread where the OP was started BEFORE 1:51 PM when the time issue was corrected.

My #15 should have been #53, which is where nota is now momentarily until
the next person posts in this thread, at #16, and backs nota up again .

Why not investigate? Personally, I think it's a waste of time but if the Democrats want to investigate an operation that was planned under the Obama administration and given the final go ahead by Trump then they should go for it.

I would suggest that in the wake of Hillary and the Benghazi committee the Trumplicans are bound to immediately appoint a special investigator. IF there is anything there it will be evident quickly and they can find a scape goat and say "see, we found our problem and fixed it. Denial or prolonging only allows for mischief and here, where honesty is on permanent vacation the opposition can invent phantom issues in the tradition of the Republicans and Benghazi. However I believe it will be more of the latter instead of an investigation. He said he's 'drain' the swamp, not clean it out

I would suggest that in the wake of Hillary and the Benghazi committee the Trumplicans are bound to immediately appoint a special investigator. IF there is anything there it will be evident quickly and they can find a scape goat and say "see, we found our problem and fixed it. Denial or prolonging only allows for mischief and here, where honesty is on permanent vacation the opposition can invent phantom issues in the tradition of the Republicans and Benghazi. However I believe it will be more of the latter instead of an investigation. He said he's 'drain' the swamp, not clean it out

An investigation of this particular incident won't show much of anything interesting to Democrats and might actually hurt them. It's not like Trump came in on day one, pulled an O-Plan out of his pocket and said "Do this". He was most likely informed that the plan was in place and only needed to issue a "Go" order.

From the sound of things the plan was leaked well in advance and, if that's the case, it would have been blown under the Obama administration, not the Trump administration.

I'd say that if the Democrats really want an investigation they should push for it and the Republicans should merely pay lip service to a protest. The more bitter and antagonistic the Democrats are the more independents move to the Republican side.

Father of SEAL killed in Yemen raid spurned meeting with Trump, wants answers | Miami Herald

Trump administration officials have called the mission a success, saying they had seized important intelligence information. They have also criticized detractors of the raid, saying those who question its success dishonor Ryan Owens’ memory.His father, however, believes just the opposite.
“Don’t hide behind my son’s death to prevent an investigation,” said the elder Owens, pointing to Trump’s sharp words directed at the mission’s critics, including Sen. John McCain.
“I want an investigation. … The government owes my son an investigation,” he said.

Read more here: Father of SEAL killed in Yemen raid spurned meeting with Trump, wants answers | Miami Herald

There were seven investigations into Benghazi. How many investigations will there be into Yemen?

What investigation?

?...someone died on a raid against an armed compound, as a Navy Seal, the other was an ambassador that was killed not carrying out a military operation but having his compound raided by terrorist.

What investigation?

McCain: Yemen Raid Was Meant to Capture, Kill Al Qaeda Terrorists - NBC News

The chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee said Wednesday that the objective of last week's Navy SEALs raid in Yemen was in part to capture al Qaeda terrorists. Military officials did not dispute his statement, despite their comments earlier in the week that the purpose was to gather intelligence.

"My understanding of the parameters of the raid were, they wanted to capture individuals," Republican Sen. John McCain, who received a classified briefing on the raid Tuesday, told NBC News. "The objective was to kill the bad guys but also capture some of them," he continued, adding that another goal was to "gain information from various electronic devices."

McCain's comments added a new twist to a series of contradictory descriptions of the deadly mission offered by senior government officials — some not for attribution, and others purporting to be official accounts.

https://www.hrw.org/news/2017/02/24/yemen-us-should-investigate-civilian-deaths-raid

The US government should credibly investigate the raid on Al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) in central Yemen in late January 2017, that killed at least 14 civilians, including nine children, and make its findings public, Human Rights Watch said today.

The high number of civilian casualties raises concerns that US forces and the armed group failed to take all necessary measures to minimize loss of civilian life, as required by the laws of war. The US government reported that 14 AQAP fighters and a US service member were killed in the fighting and, three days after the attack, that civilians, including children, were likely killed.

There need be none IMO, aside from normal after-action reporting and evaluation.

Service members die in combat. It's not like TV or Movies where the "good guys" always kill all the bad guys and then go home with a couple of scratches and a new war story to tell.

The mission was presented to the prior Administration, and by all reports was only delayed until the next "blackout" New Moon for maximum operational concealment which would occur during the new Administration.

I am not surprised that a grieving father would want to know what happened.

I am surprised that anyone would automatically assume the "failure" was somehow the fault of a new President who was listening to the expert advice of those who had planned the operation.

I've said it before and will say it again; no plan survives contact with the enemy and sometimes, despite the best training and planning....S**t happens.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom