• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Sign The Petition (forced bible reading in public school)...

ludahai said:
I do believe that the Holy Catholic Church has done a remarkable job of preserving the Holy Scriptures over the centuries, considering what Europe had been through during most of that period of time.

While nevertheless reserving an issue or two, yes, I agree. I spent the first quarter-century of my life as a protest-ant, and I was quite surprised and even very grateful when at around 45 (and even today still ignorant of Hebrew) I learned a little about that.

MrFungus420 said:
My question was about what is being refered to as "witchcraft".

From what I did read, the reference to witchcraft appears to be more than just the fictional reference in the "Harry Potter" books.
Simply referencing how accurate or inaccurate Harry Potter may be from what I'm reading.

SHodges said:
Simply referencing how accurate or inaccurate Harry Potter may be from what I'm reading.

Ok, when you say how accurate or innacurate the books may be about witchcraft, what exactly are you refering to as witchcraft?

Are you using the usual Christian definition, i.e. Satanism, are you referring to Wicca or are you referring to the old crones with the pointy hats?

MrFungus420 said:
... the old crones with the pointy hats?

Yes, I believe so.

According to a present-day Christian who says he had been a satanist in the past, the author of "Harry Potter" has said that her early view of Harry was shaped by a real-life, childhood playmate "whose childhood antics have startling similarities to those of the fictional schoolboy wizard." And according to that playmate's sister, the three of them "used to dress up and play witches all the time. ... My brother would dress up as a wizard. Joanne [the author] was always reading to us, and we would make secret potions for her. She would always send us off to get twigs for the potions."

That same Christian goes on to say that "[the author] has indeed borrowed not only from pagan rites, but has included Druidism, Witchcraft, and even Satanism in the spells, curses and incantations used in the Harry Potter books ... [launching] witches all over the world [into] an uproar, claiming that the [Harry Potter] books were a misrepresentation of their craft and religion."

So then, maybe the Harry Potter books might not be the best sources for anyone trying to learn to duplicate his fictional feats, eh?!

And of course, neither can Tinker Toys produce actual skyscrapers.

ludahai said:
It isn't supposed to be accurate or inaccurate. It is a work of fiction, nothing more.
Maybe I'm not being clear enough. Here's the thing:
I WAS BEING SARCASTIC, I KNOW IT'S FICTION, I DON'T BELIEVE IN ANY RELIGION OR MAGIC, I KNOW IT ISN'T REAL!

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom