• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Should the New Twitter CEO Elon Musk bring back Donald Trump?

Should the New Twitter CEO Elon Musk bring back Donald Trump?

• Total voters
Twitter pulled the story to keep it from being talked about in Twitter. Twitter is not primarily a news organization, however it is very much a public square where politics and anything else newsworthy are talked about. That's why those of you on the left were so angry with Trump's Twitter posts. Every time some new alleged bombshell report claiming he did this or he did that, he was able to immediately go on Twitter and tell his side. He used the term "fake news" alot and it usually turned out he was right. I agree with your last statement: "I just don't think social media companies are the best ones to be making the call of what is or isn't misinformation." Nobody but the reader should be making those calls. one either believes what is posted or not, based on available information. Social media a a public forum. If I don't believe something is claimed in a post, just like here, it's based on what I know or what I can check out. I don't need social media to censor it. Twitter censored the Hunter Biden laptop story claiming it was disinformation and it turned out to be factual information. They did so in the lead up to the 2020 election. While that may or may not fit the legal definition of election interference, it certainly qualifies as election interference.,
The important thing about the "public square" concept is that it's a public square Twitter hosts under its terms. That it chose to get into the business of determining what is valid and what isn't valid was its decision to make in relation to its terms of service. Personally, I think the best approach toward the misinformation clearly underway by foreign actors was to allow for counter messaging from vetted sources; be it news organizations or the government. What social medias were most concerned in protecting was their reliability as good places for advertisers to reach a broad demographic, and not the concept of free speech.

The flaw I see in your your premise is that the users are entitled to what they think Twitter should be as a right, while ignoring that the company has its own interest in what it chooses to allow on its platform. In a true "free market" version of how this plays out, it would be a matter of what other companies try to fill the gap Twitter created by making controversial moderation calls. The problem thus far is none of those ventures have become as successful as Twitter in replicating that kind of environment.

The important thing about the "public square" concept is that it's a public square Twitter hosts under its terms. That it chose to get into the business of determining what is valid and what isn't valid was its decision to make in relation to its terms of service. Personally, I think the best approach toward the misinformation clearly underway by foreign actors was to allow for counter messaging from vetted sources; be it news organizations or the government. What social medias were most concerned in protecting was their reliability as good places for advertisers to reach a broad demographic, and not the concept of free speech.

The flaw I see in your your premise is that the users are entitled to what they think Twitter should be as a right, while ignoring that the company has its own interest in what it chooses to allow on its platform. In a true "free market" version of how this plays out, it would be a matter of what other companies try to fill the gap Twitter created by making controversial moderation calls. The problem thus far is none of those ventures have become as successful as Twitter in replicating that kind of environment.
What occurred is a true free market evolution. For years people said if you don't like how Twitter manages its platform the solution is to get your own platform. Twitter is a publicly traded company. Publicly traded companies are effectively for sale. Twitter created a problem for itself after it got really big and influential. When you have that much power and you exploit it for political gain you become a target.

Other entities have tried creating competitors. For example, after Twitter banned Trump his followers went to Gab. Then almost immediately Gab was banned from app stores and kicked off their hosting platform. Big Tech has been supporting the censorship and working to maintain the old guard. The only viable solution to preventing this continued progression of censorship and control was to take one platform off the market and fix it from within.

Sounds like an acute case of TDS. Trump neither has white nationalist views or grew up with any. The TDS crowd just pulls that nonsense out of their backsides.
READ more..... if you can open your mind to do so.
You don't know what you are talking about. Period!! what the heck do you think- Make America Great Again... means. It damn sure was not great for non white Americans, during the 1940's and 1950's and 1960's of Trump's younger years...

What occurred is a true free market evolution. For years people said if you don't like how Twitter manages its platform the solution is to get your own platform. Twitter is a publicly traded company. Publicly traded companies are effectively for sale. Twitter created a problem for itself after it got really big and influential. When you have that much power and you exploit it for political gain you become a target.
Which is why I'm curious to see if Musk takes it private, and whether he is able to keep it out of politics entirely.

Other entities have tried creating competitors. For example, after Twitter banned Trump his followers went to Gab. Then almost immediately Gab was banned from app stores and kicked off their hosting platform. Big Tech has been supporting the censorship and working to maintain the old guard. The only viable solution to preventing this continued progression of censorship and control was to take one platform off the market and fix it from within.
Gab was banned from some app stores because of hate speech issues, and it goes back to the problem of companies not wanting to be purveyors of certain content. If what Twitter morphs into runs afoul of App Store rules, it could suffer the same fate. That said, I don't think Twitter is going to become 8kun or some other online cesspool; there's a solid user base that will likely prevent that from happening. I just don't see how Musk fixes a problem which is more a societal one than a social media platform one.

Yet again, far too much TDS to take you the least bit seriously.
TDS= believing anything the jackass says is true
Let’s get our definitions right

Asa is right to get away from Trump.

But I wonder about his rationale for coming out against DeSantis opposing Disney's position on the parental protection law.

Could I wrong about taking the position in support of DeSantis.?
If so, I need to rethink my entire thinking about DeSantis.
But I doubt it. BTW - I believe Asa is a smart politician and a savvy Conservative.
Asa didn’t complain about king ron opposing Disneys position-he came out against punishing them for their opinion.

Which is why I'm curious to see if Musk takes it private, and whether he is able to keep it out of politics entirely.

Gab was banned from some app stores because of hate speech issues, and it goes back to the problem of companies not wanting to be purveyors of certain content. If what Twitter morphs into runs afoul of App Store rules, it could suffer the same fate. That said, I don't think Twitter is going to become 8kun or some other online cesspool; there's a solid user base that will likely prevent that from happening. I just don't see how Musk fixes a problem which is more a societal one than a social media platform one.
The "hate speech" issue of Gab was always present. It was only shut down after Trump was banned from Twitter and his followers moved there. Musk has already said he won't be an absolutist when it comes to free speech on the platform. I think the primary goal was to stop political censorship and he's smart enough to keep the platform clean enough that it won't reduce the value of his investment. Jack Dorsey seems to agree with the direction Musk wants to take it and that it is best served as a private company to maintain its platform status.

The "hate speech" issue of Gab was always present. It was only shut down after Trump was banned from Twitter and his followers moved there. Musk has already said he won't be an absolutist when it comes to free speech on the platform. I think the primary goal was to stop political censorship and he's smart enough to keep the platform clean enough that it won't reduce the value of his investment. Jack Dorsey seems to agree with the direction Musk wants to take it and that it is best served as a private company to maintain its platform status.
That's my guess as well, and why I'm curious to see what he actually does to make it closer to the vision Dorsey had for it. Content moderation issues aside, making Twitter profitable for Musk considering all his financing options will be difficult without some large revenue surge. I know Musk has said it isn't about the money, but unless he doesn't care about losing money, it's going to be important to have it turn some kind of profit.

t’s also absurd to think that 40% of Americans think the election was stolen.

Not according to the poll.

You make not like to hear it, but obviously a very substantial number of Americans believe that the election was unfair.

In that case, I would back their "fight" for a true democracy......which obviously doesn't mean I am encouraging violence any more than the term "fighting an election" does.

Not according to the poll.

You make not like to hear it, but obviously a very substantial number of Americans believe that the election was unfair.

In that case, I would back their "fight" for a true democracy......which obviously doesn't mean I am encouraging violence any more than the term "fighting an election" does.
Ok
I looked at a couple of polls and what I saw was that 2/3 of the people who responded thought the election was fair.
I think you have to define “fair”. Does it mean that Biden wasn’t really the winner? Or does it mean that it was completely clean…..for the first time in history.

Ok
I looked at a couple of polls and what I saw was that 2/3 of the people who responded thought the election was fair.
I think you have to define “fair”. Does it mean that Biden wasn’t really the winner? Or does it mean that it was completely clean…..for the first time in history.

So you don't think that the third of Americans (according to your unnamed poll) who believe it was not fair is a large number?

That's my guess as well, and why I'm curious to see what he actually does to make it closer to the vision Dorsey had for it. Content moderation issues aside, making Twitter profitable for Musk considering all his financing options will be difficult without some large revenue surge. I know Musk has said it isn't about the money, but unless he doesn't care about losing money, it's going to be important to have it turn some kind of profit.
I believe he's looking to build out user tools and features and charge a subscription fee to gain access to enhanced features. No idea what those will be though. Not sure if he knows entirely yet either.

So you don't think that the third of Americans (according to your unnamed poll) who believe it was not fair is a large number?
Define "fair".

Define "fair".
If you are a follower of Dinesh D'souza and believe his research, then you might be inclined to believe there is enough evidence to say voter fraud could be the reason Trump lost.
To a lot of people his research ("2000 Mules") will be compelling and reinforce what millions of disaffected Republican voters already believe - that there was enough voter fraud to tip the scales in Trump's favor. A lot of good that will do now. But maybe in 2024 if Trump is still into grievance campaigning mode.

What is Dinesh D’souza’s ‘2000 mules’ about?
  • “An incredible new film by Dinesh D’Souza exposes massive and determinative ballot harvesting in the 2020 election,” Trump said. D’Souza concludes the “2,000 Mules” trailer, arguing, “Without free and fair elections, we are not a democracy, we are a criminal cartel masquerading as a democracy.”

D'Souza's Doc Film '2,000 Mules' Set for Release; Here's

www.westernjournal.com/dsouzas-doc-film-2000-mules-set-release-can-watch/

If you are a follower of Dinesh D'souza and believe his research, then you might be inclined to believe there is enough evidence to say voter fraud could be the reason Trump lost.
To a lot of people his research ("2000 Mules") will be compelling and reinforce what millions of disaffected Republican voters already believe - that there was enough voter fraud to tip the scales in Trump's favor. A lot of good that will do now. But maybe in 2024 if Trump is still into grievance campaigning mode.

What is Dinesh D’souza’s ‘2000 mules’ about?
  • “An incredible new film by Dinesh D’Souza exposes massive and determinative ballot harvesting in the 2020 election,” Trump said. D’Souza concludes the “2,000 Mules” trailer, arguing, “Without free and fair elections, we are not a democracy, we are a criminal cartel masquerading as a democracy.”

D'Souza's Doc Film '2,000 Mules' Set for Release; Here's

www.westernjournal.com/dsouzas-doc-film-2000-mules-set-release-can-watch/
I think I'll pass on researching D'Souza. Here are the facts: the jackass and his lackeys filed 62 lawsuits seeking to overturn the election. They lost 61 of them. Don't you think that if there was a shred of evidence supporting the contention that the election was "unfair" that it would have been presented at trial? Unless of course you think that every court involved was part of this "great conspiracy". Do you think that?

The fact of the matter is that NO election is totally "fair" if you mean totally devoid of fraud. The issue is that while there was no doubt that some fraud-on BOTH sides-there wasn't nearly enough to change the ass kicking the jackass got in both the electoral college and in the popular vote, neither of which were even close.
Time for everyone to let that go...its over. It was over on Nov 7.

The president and his allies filed 62 lawsuits in state and federal courts seeking to overturn election results in states the president lost, according to Marc Elias, a Democratic election lawyer who is tracking the outcomes.

I think I'll pass on researching D'Souza. Here are the facts: the jackass and his lackeys filed 62 lawsuits seeking to overturn the election. They lost 61 of them. Don't you think that if there was a shred of evidence supporting the contention that the election was "unfair" that it would have been presented at trial? Unless of course you think that every court involved was part of this "great conspiracy". Do you think that?

The fact of the matter is that NO election is totally "fair" if you mean totally devoid of fraud. The issue is that while there was no doubt that some fraud-on BOTH sides-there wasn't nearly enough to change the ass kicking the jackass got in both the electoral college and in the popular vote, neither of which were even close.
Time for everyone to let that go...its over. It was over on Nov 7.

The president and his allies filed 62 lawsuits in state and federal courts seeking to overturn election results in states the president lost, according to Marc Elias, a Democratic election lawyer who is tracking the outcomes.

I can't argue with your logic.
But what is scary is that so many people hated to see Trump lose so they had to look somewhere for a reason. And losing to a senile old man!!??
Sometimes reality really bites.
Tribalism is a powerful force in this country and tribal Republicans who still worship Trump are a dangerous force.
I am afraid such a force can tear up the GOP.
I have written before - my hope is that Trump-supported GOP candidates fail to win in a primary race. That is one sure way for people to realize that Trump's influence in on the wane. But I still want the GOP candidate to win House and Senate seats. I just don't want Trump to take credit for such wins.
May is important for a number of primary contests.

Trump was banned from Twitter for allegedly posting disinformation, however at the time, Twitter was acting as the big tech version of Dementia Joe's disinformation board. Under Musk, I doubt he would have ever been banned.
Perhaps. Or perhaps not. If Must removes moderation from Twitter, its popularity will plummet and something else that is moderated will take its place.

So you want me to go searching for "your plan".
I don't know where to look for it.
Why don't you be like Elizabeth Warren and repeat your plan for everyone to see.?
Yes sir! I said: do what trump did, and nominate republicans for every seat in every county in every state in 7 states - Pennsylvania, where the GOP stole voter information in a party lines vote (they have the last 4 numbers of every voter's social security number but won't pass a law restricting gerrymandering HA!) Michigan where multiple elected GOP members illegally seized voter information, Ohio which has done the same, Arizona which has done much worse, Georgia which has done far worse and is blatantly suppressing votes, Wisconsin Texas and of course, the home of the constitution's death, Florida. If only republicans can win, the solution is simple. We will all be Republicans now. Welcome to my GOP

Perhaps. Or perhaps not. If Must removes moderation from Twitter, its popularity will plummet and something else that is moderated will take its place.
Musk will not remove moderation from Twitter. He will merely remove the built in bias in moderation. And he will remove the concept of "disinformation central". You will be able to post an opinion without going through a truth ministry. It will be a win for the 1st amendment.

TDS= believing anything the jackass says is true
Let’s get our definitions right
TDS is an unhealthy obsession with Trump. You clearly qualify.

Musk will not remove moderation from Twitter. He will merely remove the built in bias in moderation. And he will remove the concept of "disinformation central". You will be able to post an opinion without going through a truth ministry. It will be a win for the 1st amendment.
I sincerely hope that's the case. I suspect, though, that it won't be enough for conservatives. I foresee Musk becoming the next "RINO" in their minds when the next loud-mouthed conservative personality is banned.

I sincerely hope that's the case. I suspect, though, that it won't be enough for conservatives. I foresee Musk becoming the next "RINO" in their minds when the next loud-mouthed conservative personality is banned.
Your problem is that this is all partisan politics to you. I am a mainstream conservative and all I desire from Twitter is unbiased moderation. Musk will be in charge of a big tech version of a public square. For the purpose of running that public square, I could care less what his politics are. If he runs for congress, then I might care whether or not he is a RINO.

sure.....if he wants to concede Twitter over to Trump

Back
Top Bottom