• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Should sex be a recreational activity?

Should Sex Be A Recreational Activity

• Total voters

Pozessed

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Many times throughout the abortion argument it is suggested that people shouldn't have sex unless they are prepared for the consequences (children). I disagree. Not everybody can be prepared, and not everybody who has sex wants children.
The people I encounter make it seem they wouldn't condone anyone having sex unless it was to reproduce.

So the question is, should sex be a recreational activity? Please elaborate on you answer.

Many times throughout the abortion argument it is suggested that people shouldn't have sex unless they are prepared for the consequences (children). I disagree. Not everybody can be prepared, and not everybody who has sex wants children.
The people I encounter make it seem they wouldn't condone anyone having sex unless it was to reproduce.

So the question is, should sex be a recreational activity? Please elaborate on you answer.

Yes, sex can be a recreational activity. It is a recreational activity with potential consequences, however, which are sometimes also the goal. If you aren't willing to accept the possibility of children, you shouldn't have sex, anymore than you should sky dive if you aren't willing to accept the possibility that the chute won't open, and you shouldn't invest if you aren't willing to accept the possibility that the stock you buy will split.

The purpose of the sex being enjoyable is to cause us to do it in order to reproduce and bond husband and wife closer together. You are confusing a means with an end.

Why should we be voting on determination of the purpose of sex between other consenting adults?

What do you mean by "Should"?

Isn't it already?

Your post mixes topics but I will try to dissect them. Keep in mind this is just one man's opinion:
1. The only time you cannot be prepared to have sex is when you are raped. Abortion for rape victims has rarely if ever been an issue in the U.S. It was one of the health provisions provided as an "exception to the law" well before Roe v. Wade.
1a. If you are going to have sex, practice birth control before abortion is necessitated. Abortion should be the last resort IMHO.
2. Sex is not just to reproduce. This is an archaic religious belief due to the times in which religious documents were written. It is also largely opinion even in those documents (i.e. Paul's letters were not necessarily intended to be law but Paul's opinion...an opinion I can't get behind since he thought you shouldn't have sex at all but if you were going to partake in such evils then at least be married, etc...)

I don't think sex should be cheapened as something to do if you don't feel like going to the movies...sex should not be the new handshake but it also isn't some horrid thing to be avoided at all costs.
Happy medium and all that.

The poll sorely needs "other" but I chose both instead.

When is it not?

What do you mean by "Should"?

Isn't it already?

Look at it this way... "I don't believe the majority always knows what's best for everyone."

Should be mandatory. You will recreate. Except for some of you who absolutely will not be allowed to recreate. We have standards.

Why should we be voting on determination of the purpose of sex between other consenting adults?

Isn't that what we do 90% of the time abortion is discussed?

Look at it this way... "I don't believe the majority always knows what's best for everyone."
Yes, but individuals should have reasonable latitude in their private choices, and anecdotally I'd say the ones I've known that have shared a bed with me have been pretty dayem recreational!

And I wouldn't have it any other way! :thumbs:

This is a stupid poll.

Of course sex is recreational.

So is target shooting.

If I irresponsibly target shoot in my bedroom and accidentally kill the neighbor kid I'm held accountable for my irresponsibility.

If I irresponsibly have sex in that same bedroom and a couple weeks later deliberately kill a kid I should be held equally accountable.

Fertility issues tend to make sex more of a responsibility than a cavalier activity.

**** responsibility. Precaution is responsibility, the rest is pleasure or should be. Cavalier activity is the spice of life.

I mean, if you're offering...

You over-simplified the statement and left out the part where we state that having sex without BC means that you should be prepared to be a parent (it's a child, not a consequence). That part about BC is the part that you left out and while not explicitly stated every time, is part of the argument. BC is far too readily available (condoms are made available by someone in just about every town in America with a population over 1,000) for unwanted pregnancies to be as prevalent as they are.

The GOP is considering making recreation sex against the law to prevent abortion.

I cannot find a facepalm gif that is exasperated enough to deal with this line of idiocy. Anyone else know of a good one?

Your post mixes topics but I will try to dissect them. Keep in mind this is just one man's opinion:
1. The only time you cannot be prepared to have sex is when you are raped. Abortion for rape victims has rarely if ever been an issue in the U.S. It was one of the health provisions provided as an "exception to the law" well before Roe v. Wade.
1a. If you are going to have sex, practice birth control before abortion is necessitated. Abortion should be the last resort IMHO.
2. Sex is not just to reproduce. This is an archaic religious belief due to the times in which religious documents were written. It is also largely opinion even in those documents (i.e. Paul's letters were not necessarily intended to be law but Paul's opinion...an opinion I can't get behind since he thought you shouldn't have sex at all but if you were going to partake in such evils then at least be married, etc...)

I don't think sex should be cheapened as something to do if you don't feel like going to the movies...sex should not be the new handshake but it also isn't some horrid thing to be avoided at all costs.
Happy medium and all that.

The poll sorely needs "other" but I chose both instead.

There's nothing Biblical that states that you can't have sex for fun with your spouse... In fact, the Song of Solomon is pretty much a clear statement that sex is a good thing, enjoyable and created as a fun thing to do.

This is a stupid poll.

Of course sex is recreational.

So is target shooting.

If I irresponsibly target shoot in my bedroom and accidentally kill the neighbor kid I'm held accountable for my irresponsibility.

If I irresponsibly have sex in that same bedroom and a couple weeks later deliberately kill a kid I should be held equally accountable.
Indeed, but what does that have to do with abortion?

The GOP is considering making recreation sex against the law to prevent abortion.

Does it really seem like a far stretch of reality if abortion were already an illegal practice? Why would abortion be illegal if people were accepting of the idea that sex had more than reproductive purposes.?

You over-simplified the statement and left out the part where we state that having sex without BC means that you should be prepared to be a parent (it's a child, not a consequence). That part about BC is the part that you left out and while not explicitly stated every time, is part of the argument. BC is far too readily available (condoms are made available by someone in just about every town in America with a population over 1,000) for unwanted pregnancies to be as prevalent as they are.

I do agree and I apologize. Over simplifying things is not usually my strong suit.

I like sex as a recreational activity. However, those having sex that cannot afford to have a child should the birth control fail, are every bit as irresponsible with life as the recreational drunk that drives.

If you are not prepared for the consequences, then I have to wonder if you do irresponsible things like drive intoxicated as well.

As a tax payer who pays more in taxes than the average person, and ends up supporting such irresponsibility with my tax dollars in TANF, SNAP, section 8, etc... it it a very sore subject for me.

I find it morally appalling that people have so little respect for innocent unborn life.

Last edited:
Sex exists for reproduction. That is a fact.

Silly poll as sex is used for both recreation and reproduction

Back
Top Bottom