• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Should motorcycles be banned?

Motorcycles should be.

• Banned

Votes: 7 7.2%
  • Allowed only for Law Enforcement

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Much more strongly regulated

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • Left as they are

Votes: 85 87.6%

• Total voters
Yep, pretty much, 46 years of experience trumps an opinion piece written someone that doesn't like loud pipes. The sound still disperses to the sides and front while moving at a slower speed (under 50 mph).

shrug...

I have pretty much just as much experience riding motorcycles as you do and my experience tells me that you are wrong. In fact, I've been in my car...windows rolled up...radio on...going 35-40 mph on city streets...and, while I was aware of the bike next to me, I didn't actually hear its loud pipes until it pulled ahead of me. The pipes did nothing to enhance my awareness of the bike.

Anyway, you go ahead and put your life in the hands of your loud pipes. I'll ensure my safety by using proper and safe riding techniques.

shrug...

I have pretty much just as much experience riding motorcycles as you do and my experience tells me that you are wrong. In fact, I've been in my car...windows rolled up...radio on...going 35-40 mph on city streets...and, while I was aware of the bike next to me, I didn't actually hear its loud pipes until it pulled ahead of me. The pipes did nothing to enhance my awareness of the bike.

Anyway, you go ahead and put your life in the hands of your loud pipes. I'll ensure my safety by using proper and safe riding techniques.

Most exhausts point to the rear. Decreasing their ability to trumpet the charge....

The vehicle that is unsafe for other motorists should be the one banned, if anything is banned.
If I knowingly get into a vehicle that is unsafe for me, that's my decision.

I should have the right to risk my neck if that's my decision. I just don't have a right to risk yours.

Part of the decision to risk your neck is the understanding that there are larger cars on the road.

As long as there are big cars on the road, I will be in one of them.

Hell, after reading the gonorrhea thread we ought to require licenses for people wanting to have sex. You must get regularly tested, have a current STD free license and can only enter into liaisons with another card carrying member on the approved list. All activity should be rigorously monitored and people engaging in risky behavior or spreading STDs ought to be severely punished... for their own good of course. Besides I'm pretty sure having sex isn't a right. ;)

Don't worry, I'm sure they are working on that as we speak.

Yep, pretty much, 46 years of experience trumps an opinion piece written someone that doesn't like loud pipes. The sound still disperses to the sides and front while moving at a slower speed (under 50 mph).

Wait...you mean you can hear a motorcycle when standing in front of it!!!??? No way, the pipes point backwards, sound waves cannot travel forwards from that point! Go stand in front of a motorcycle, it's whisper quiet.

shrug...

Maybe he just needed louder pipes, lol.

Wait...you mean you can hear a motorcycle when standing in front of it!!!??? No way, the pipes point backwards, sound waves cannot travel forwards from that point! Go stand in front of a motorcycle, it's whisper quiet.

Mine isn't. If I give it some gas it even louder. How does that work for a gun? If you are standing behind the muzzle you shouldn't be able to hear it using that theory.

Video, notice the camera with the microphone is in front of the bikes and you can still hear them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inCBgnvOXgI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxyS8l9l2kI

Last edited:
Part of the decision to risk your neck is the understanding that there are larger cars on the road.

As long as there are big cars on the road, I will be in one of them.

Me too.
That is our decision.

Definitely motorcycles and cars are much more deadly then even shootings.

Most of Europe has a two piece strategy against cars:

-- Very high gas taxes.
-- Good public transportation system

Just basic statistics.

Hell no, I might need a kidney, liver, lungs or a heart. I was in the hospital taking care of my mom. The nurse called motorcyclists organ donors.

Ban them. Round them all up, by force, if necessary. And execute everyone who has ever even thought of owning a motorcycle. No more coddling, get these menaces off the damn road.

I'd be happy if my local law enforcement would just enforce the noise laws. I want them to have acoustic sensors just like speed sensors. A few decibels over - fine the holy hell out of them (with the fines doubling and tripling the more over the limit they are). That goes for the boom box idiots in cars as well.

I'd be happy if my local law enforcement would just enforce the noise laws. I want them to have acoustic sensors just like speed sensors. A few decibels over - fine the holy hell out of them (with the fines doubling and tripling the more over the limit they are). That goes for the boom box idiots in cars as well.

Note to dude on loud bike I can hear two blocks away: You will be shocked at this, but I am not impressed.

Riders with loud pipes are morons, they are just drawing attention to themselves.
Same with losers who put large wings on the back of their crappy Hondas to look cool and pretend that they are real life versions of Fast and Furious.
Let them draw all the attention and get all the tickets.

I have nothing against motorcycles.. They have a certain unique "freedom" about them,, It's too bad that they can't be more safe in a crash.. I have seen only one crash of a motorcycle, Many years ago in Phoenix AZ. A dude was speeding down a slightly curving road, clipped a car and ran into on coming traffic. He did not die but lost his leg at the hip due to the crash. It was not a pretty site. My only real complaint is the law that allows them to "split lanes".. That just seems to invite disaster.

djl

Riders with loud pipes are morons, they are just drawing attention to themselves.

...that's actually the intent.

only real complaint is the law that allows them to "split lanes".. That just seems to invite disaster.

djl

Splitting lanes is typically only allowed in very crowded cities (like LA), and in those circumstances, it's safer for the bike to split lanes.

Splitting lanes is typically only allowed in very crowded cities (like LA), and in those circumstances, it's safer for the bike to split lanes.

Here we call it filtering, and I'll do it up to about 30mph, but there are too many car drivers who pull across the lane to block you to go faster.

Just basic statistics.

No.

And I already have a mother I don't need another.

I worried the hell out of my mother growing up with both riding motorcycles and flying airplanes. Gave that poor woman lots of grey hair.

Here we call it filtering, and I'll do it up to about 30mph, but there are too many car drivers who pull across the lane to block you to go faster.

I think some drivers get jealous and annoyed at the practice, and a handful respond dangerously. Still, statistically speaking, in heavy traffic splitting lanes is safer for riders .

I have nothing against motorcycles.. They have a certain unique "freedom" about them,, It's too bad that they can't be more safe in a crash.. I have seen only one crash of a motorcycle, Many years ago in Phoenix AZ. A dude was speeding down a slightly curving road, clipped a car and ran into on coming traffic. He did not die but lost his leg at the hip due to the crash. It was not a pretty site. My only real complaint is the law that allows them to "split lanes".. That just seems to invite disaster.

djl

Air cooled bikes really can't sit completely still for long periods of time.

Lane splitting is illegal in many states, including where I live, but it can be done safely, especially when highways are at a complete standstill

Back
Top Bottom