• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Should a Bed and Breakfast Owner be allowed to refuse Gay couples on religous grounds

Should B&B owners be allowed to refuse gay couples?

• Yes, they should be allowed to refuse anyone for any reason

Votes: 48 59.3%
  • The should be allowed to refuse if it violates their religious beliefs

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • They should be fined for discriminating against gays

Votes: 11 13.6%
  • They should lose their B&B license for discriminating against gays

Votes: 14 17.3%
  • Other, please explain

Votes: 6 7.4%

• Total voters
Re: Should a Bed and Breakfast Owner be allowed to refuse Gay couples on religous gro

Re: Should a Bed and Breakfast Owner be allowed to refuse Gay couples on religous gro

Translation, Hatuey is backed into a corner and can't support his arguments.

Thank you for the link....
So, sexual orientation trumps religious belief.....
I think have a problem with that.....
But the point is moot as the law now stands....:shock:

nope, the religious couple are allowed in a gay bar by law, so why can't the gay couple stay at a B&B?

nope, the religious couple are allowed in a gay bar by law, so why can't the gay couple stay at a B&B?
I think using the law is the wrong way to go. Again, the market decides who wins and the market sides against bigotry. In both examples the law is wrong, the market would win anyway.

I think using the law is the wrong way to go. Again, the market decides who wins and the market sides against bigotry. In both examples the law is wrong, the market would win anyway.

The question is when?

Do you find it simple to ignore negative externalities?

The question is when?

Do you find it simple to ignore negative externalities?
When what? You mean the market taking care of the trash? No one knows the timeframe, but it is a certainty as negative publicity has a multiplier that can't be quantified, but it's obvious that bad press usually gets worse, and when a reputation is ruined so is a business. Hell, I saw it happen down here to an upscale club when a group of black men were assaulted by their bouncers, they lost about 40% of their business within a couple of months. That is a severe beating in the bar industry.

So you are saying that society has the right to impose its will on the individual?

There is no exact time frame, and there is no guarantee it will be soon. In the long run, markets self correct. In the long run we are all dead.

Question(off topic): In the absence of airline maintenance regulation, how many plane crashes would you view as acceptable to provide the mechanism for irresponsible firms to fail? 1 a year? 5 a year? 10 a year?

At what point do the negative externalities begin to matter to you?

The manager should have all the grounds to dismiss anyone they want from their business as it is THEIR business.

The manager should have all the grounds to dismiss anyone they want from their business as it is THEIR business.

Mine! I do what I want! :lol:

Unfortunately the law disagrees with you. We are of course "free" to either adhere (positive) or break (negative) the law. Far too much negative freedom is associated with libertarians these days.

I don't give a flying **** what the law IS. What the law IS doesn't make it right. What we're saying is that the law should NOT be as it currently IS, and explaining to you why. Telling me "That's the law, so there" isn't much of a point.

The problem with this argument is that plane crashes kill people immediately, there is a causal relationship which is immenently provable(necessary action to reduce plane crashes), we have a right to responsibility to uphold individual rights to life, the public's immediate safety must be protected from a clear and present danger and this is within the scope of the government's authority(Proper). Again, where is the probable compelling interest for the public to say that beyond a shadow of a doubt that laws to end bigotry trump a person's individual property rights?

At what point do the negative externalities begin to matter to you?
When it comes to empowering further any form of government, they don't.

Last edited:

Not to mention the fact that the state taxes all of us and thus "profits" from all of us citizens. And yet, as a private citizen I can allow or disallow whomever I want on my private property (i.e., my home, for instance). I can discriminate for any damn reason I want. His argument appears to be that I should be forced to allow anyone at all into my home since the state "profits" from me and my home (property taxes) and if I discriminate about who I let in my home, and they let me do that, then they are condoning that discrimination.

It would follow logically by his arguments.

I don't give a flying **** what the law IS. What the law IS doesn't make it right. What we're saying is that the law should NOT be as it currently IS, and explaining to you why. Telling me "That's the law, so there" isn't much of a point.

Your obsession with negative freedom and using that as an argument is not the point. I already outlined the negative externalities associated with allowing discrimination. As always, an appeal to emotion.

Your obsession with negative freedom and using that as an argument is not the point. I already outlined the negative externalities associated with allowing discrimination. As always, an appeal to emotion.

No, your "what if" and "this MIGHT happen" statements aren't much of an argument for infringing on the rights of business owners. Hell, even your suggestion that business owners just give them shoddy service violates your "what if" and "this might happen" slippery slopes. Giving them shoddy service could hurt their feelings too, and then piss off the people they tell about it and result in someone throwing a brick through their window. So, we can't allow a business to give shoddy service to someone. I mean, just think of what MIGHT happen if they did.

You argue as though one cannot have property rights without the right to be a bigot. I however do not view the two to be mutually exclusive. Logically, what are reasons not to serve a person(s) when you have a business?

1.) They do not have the means to pay
2.) By serving them, you are losing out on other more profitable clients
3.) Their presence is disrupting your atmosphere
4.) They are competitors looking to steal your plan/model/idea.
5.) You are liable for the actions they take during or remotely after

Are you saying that it is logically acceptable to deny service based on sexuality so that government does not intervene in your ability to conduct business in the manner(s) listed above? If so, good luck making that case.

When it comes to empowering further any form of government, they don't.

Except if you happen to agree with it

Unfortunately the law disagrees with you.

I mean, people can keep saying this and I'll keep responding the same way. This thread isn't about the law, it's asked should they be able to.

Thank you for the link....
So, sexual orientation trumps religious belief.....
I think have a problem with that.....
But the point is moot as the law now stands....:shock:

Since society has spoken and the law is the law (which seems to fit arguments as long as they are CONVEEEENIENT) then why the hell are we still on daily about gay marriage? Hell...society has spoken. the people have made their opinions clear and known. Law has been established.

Its quite simple. The Constitution talks about rights given to individuals, not businesses or corporations (but then again...certain activists on the Supreme Court want to believe that corporations are people)...

I dont know...why are businesses allowed to deny patronage to citizens carrying concealed firearms, an activity (right) specifically protected under the constitution?

Its quite simple. The Constitution talks about rights given to individuals, not businesses or corporations (but then again...certain activists on the Supreme Court want to believe that corporations are people)...

I see...so the law works when it is what you want...doesnt apply when it ISNT something you like. Dont worry...Ive SEEN the playbook.

So why then are businesses allowed to legally prohibit customers that are carrying concealed weapons, a constitutional right?

The Constitution does not talk about rights given to the individual. The individual has rights, and the Constitution lists some of them. An individual owns a piece of land wherein they construct some form of business. That land belongs to the individual, and thus the individual can decide who they wish to serve.

What ridiculousness. Your home is not a place of public accommodations. Businesses are. Remember? That is what we're talking about? Businesses? Why don't you pick up a book on civil rights and what is covered under it?

The Right to Refuse Service: Can a Business Refuse Service to Someone Because of Appearance, Odor or Attitude? | LegalZoom

The Right To Refuse Service Or Discrimination? | Lifescript.com

:shrug:

Don't ask, don't tell, and ask for twin beds!

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…