• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Shooting at Queens baby shower (1 Viewer)

Torus34

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
The headline: Shooting at Queens baby shower leaves man dead, 3 others injured

The lede: RICHMOND HILL, Queens (WABC) -- A man is dead and three others are injured after gunfire erupted at a baby shower in Queens early Saturday. According to the NYPD, police responded to a 911 call around 1:30 a.m. of an assault at a venue at 108-11 Atlantic Ave. Police found three people injured, including a 24-year-old man shot in the chest. Officers also found a 26-year-old man hit in the right arm and a 45-year-old man shot in the left leg.

The reference: https://abc7ny.com/queens-fatal-sho...ing-at-baby-shower-in-richmond-hill/14764552/

Guns in the news again.

Another multiple shooting, with at least one life cut short.

Thus far this year there have been 475 children ages 0-17 killed in the US by gunshot.* Gunshot is one of the leading causes of death of children in the US.

Guns in the news.

Again.

Regards, stay safe 'n well 'n un-shot.

* https://www.gunviolencearchive.org/

As has been said numerous times....

not guns...culture.

Dont address the culture of the people doing the shooting, you will never see change.

The lede: RICHMOND HILL, Queens (WABC) -- A man is dead and three others are injured after gunfire erupted at a baby shower in Queens early Saturday. According to the NYPD, police responded to a 911 call around 1:30 a.m. of an assault at a venue at 108-11 Atlantic Ave. Police found three people injured, including a 24-year-old man shot in the chest. Officers also found a 26-year-old man hit in the right arm and a 45-year-old man shot in the left leg.

The reference: https://abc7ny.com/queens-fatal-sho...ing-at-baby-shower-in-richmond-hill/14764552/

Guns in the news again.

Thus far this year there have been 475 children ages 0-17 killed in the US by gunshot.* Gunshot is one of the leading causes of death of children in the US.

Guns in the news.

Again.

I just thank goodness for such a Well Regulated Militia.

I mean.....what if Japan decides to invade? How on earth would we survive without JoeBob and Cletus to protect us?

PRAISE GUN!!!!!

gun-nuts-in-chipotle.jpeg

I mean.....what if Japan decides to invade? How on earth would we survive without JoeBob and Cletus to protect us?

PRAISE GUN!!!!!

View attachment 67508009

Hi, PeasefulWarrior.

Yup. More guns in the United States of America means more Americans dead from gunshot. Way to go! Be exceptional, America!

Do you want to live in a state where gun laws are made by republicans or Democrats?

Guns in the news again.

Guns in the news.

Again.

Spam

Do you want to live in a state where gun laws are made by republicans or Democrats?
Republicans. Gun laws have nothing to do with the murder rate.

Idaho has a lower murder rate than NY, despite NY stringent gun laws.

Those 'militia' gun owners you mock do not represent the threat you constantly post about.

Address the culture where the shootings occur...or just admit you really dont give a shit about the dead and are just using them as a prop to promote your agenda.

Culture.

The shooting occurred when an altercation inside the event venue spilled out into the street, police said. Officials reported that there were at least 15 bullet holes in the glass of the catering hall.

Guns in the news again.

No children were shot so why are you spamming again?
Guns in the news.

Again.

Gun Violence Archive is an anti-civil right site that uses a made-up definition of "mass shooting" in order to increase the numbers.

I would say that you could do better, but I doubt it.

Guns in the news again.

Guns in the news.

Again.

fools

everybody knows that if you go anywhere armed, it is a baby shower

not guns...culture.

Dont address the culture of the people doing the shooting, you will never see change.
the culture of people who think they need to carry firearms to solve problems

we are in agreement

PRAISE GUN!!!!!

View attachment 67508009
always carry a spare sausage biscuit to divert their attention

fools

everybody knows that if you go anywhere armed, it is a baby shower

Hi, Justabubba.

Yup, block parties, schools, baby showers, and all sorts of places.

Curiously, and some supporter of the Second Amendment would have to explain this to me, our federal legislators don't permit good guys with guns into the galleries of the chambers to protect them against a bad guy with a gun. I don't know if open carry is allowed in the galleries of state legislative chambers. Maybe those worthies are more interested in living up to the slogan and protecting themselves from some armed deranged person who managed to smuggle in an AK-47..

Regards, stay safe 'n well . . . 'n un-shot.

Hi, Justabubba.

Yup, block parties, schools, baby showers, and all sorts of places.

Curiously, and some supporter of the Second Amendment would have to explain this to me, our federal legislators don't permit good guys with guns into the galleries of the chambers to protect them against a bad guy with a gun. I don't know if open carry is allowed in the galleries of state legislative chambers. Maybe those worthies are more interested in living up to the slogan and protecting themselves from some armed deranged person who managed to smuggle in an AK-47..

Regards, stay safe 'n well . . . 'n un-shot.

Your belief that federal legislators are not protected by people with guns does not mesh with reality.

Shooting at Queens baby shower​

the queen is having a baby?
thought she recently died

try the veal ... and tip your servers

Utah is run by Republicans, and it has a lower homicide rate than Hawaii.

Impossible.
NYC has - all - the "common sense" gun control laws.

preferably Republicans but in Oregon there is little difference.

Guns in the news again.

Guns in the news.

Again.

Your link for the O/P doesn't say anything about a child being killed or even present at the baby shower. Isn't one thirty in the morning a bit "late" for a baby shower? I'm betting a fight broke out because people were high on something other than a new life coming into the world.

not guns...culture.

Succinct, and nothing really more needs to be said but as we both know, they want guns out of the hands of all people, those who aren't even a part of the violent culture in this country.

Maybe they should go make these sorts of threads in places so that the violent perps will learn something, (my tongue firmly planted in my cheek).

Those 'militia' gun owners you mock do not represent the threat you constantly post about.

Address the culture where the shootings occur...or just admit you really dont give a shit about the dead and are just using them as a prop to promote your agenda.

Yep, hard for the gun banners to admit that's their agenda.

Succinct, and nothing really more needs to be said but as we both know, they want guns out of the hands of all people, those who aren't even a part of the violent culture in this country.

Maybe they should go make these sorts of threads in places so that the violent perps will learn something, (my tongue firmly planted in my cheek).
There is nothing unique about American culture other than our gun culture. People in our peer nation's watch the same movies, play the same video games, listen to the same music and so on. What is the difference between US and Canadian culture? They even live in the same types of homes and drive the same vehicles. Yet, their homicide rate is a fraction of ours. Walk around a city like Paris, there are neighborhoods full of immigrants, there are black neighborhoods just like there are here (for those that want to blame our homicide rate on black people), you hear hip playing, yet their homicide rate is a fraction of ours. When you compare us to other high-income democracies, our homicide rate is 3 to 6 times that of any other peer nation. Why is that?

There is nothing unique about American culture other than our gun culture. People in our peer nation's watch the same movies, play the same video games, listen to the same music and so on. What is the difference between US and Canadian culture? They even live in the same types of homes and drive the same vehicles. Yet, their homicide rate is a fraction of ours. Walk around a city like Paris, there are neighborhoods full of immigrants, there are black neighborhoods just like there are here (for those that want to blame our homicide rate on black people), you hear hip playing, yet their homicide rate is a fraction of ours. When you compare us to other high-income democracies, our homicide rate is 3 to 6 times that of any other peer nation. Why is that?

You totally misrepresented my point. I said nothing about a gun culture. There is no such thing as a gun culture.

We have a "violent culture" that needs to be addressed but instead it's being ignored by those who want to ban guns. Violent people use guns and other weapons to solve their problems in this country. Until we, as a society, address the real problem, a violent culture, nothing will be solved.

You totally misrepresented my point. I said nothing about a gun culture. There is no such thing as a gun culture.

We have a "violent culture" that needs to be addressed but instead it's being ignored by those who want to ban guns. Violent people use guns and other weapons to solve their problems in this country. Until we, as a society, address the real problem, a violent culture, nothing will be solved.

Growing up in the rural South, I’ve witnessed firsthand the prevalence of gun culture. It’s a significant aspect of life here, and its influence is undeniable when considering that 85% of homicides involve firearms. This statistic holds true even in nations with lower rates of gun ownership, where firearms still account for the majority of homicides. https://www.pewresearch.org/short-reads/2023/04/26/what-the-data-says-about-gun-deaths-in-the-u-s/

The reason behind this is quite straightforward: firearms are designed to be highly efficient tools for killing, at least on an individual level. Take hunting as an example; if it were restricted to bows, the number of game harvested would be significantly less than what’s possible with firearms. This isn’t mere speculation; it’s a reality acknowledged by anyone with hunting experience. The availability of guns doesn’t just affect hunting; it influences potential criminal behavior as well. Without easy access to firearms, not every would-be murderer would resort to knives, as stabbing someone to death is not only challenging but also poses a risk of self-injury. Furthermore, the willingness to commit such an act isn’t universal.

While the personal ownership of firearms cannot be banned due to constitutional protections, it’s naive to ignore the consequences of a nation flooded with guns. In the United States, there are over 400 million guns among a population of 320 million. This abundance makes it alarmingly easy for criminals to acquire firearms. For instance, if merely 5% of gun owners store their weapons improperly in their vehicles—a sadly common occurrence—this alone would suffice to arm numerous criminals. With such a vast number of guns in private hands, even if the majority of gun owners are peaceful and responsible, the homicide rate is inevitably higher than it would be otherwise.

Of course, homicide rates are influenced by various factors. Concentrated poverty and policing are two such determinants. Many European cities, for example, have a higher police presence per capita compared to American cities. While there are numerous elements at play in homicide statistics, it’s unreasonable to dismiss the impact of widespread firearm availability on these rates.

Rights often come with societal costs. The right to freedom of expression, for instance, means tolerating even the most repugnant forms of speech, such as Klan rallies. This is recognized as the price we pay for free speech. Similarly, the right to own firearms carries both benefits and societal costs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom