• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Senators zero in on high stakes border deal

Plasmaball

Honest
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate

The details: The agreement would automatically reject migrants and asylum seekers from crossing the border illegally once the daily average for border crossings surpasses 5,000 over a week or crossings surpass 8,500 on a single day, sources tell Axios.

The Department of Homeland Security would also have the option of using the authority even earlier — once crossings surpass a daily average of 4,000 over the course of a week.
Migrants could be granted exceptions for humanitarian reasons. There would also be harsher penalties for those who attempt to illegally cross the border multiple times, banning them from entering the U.S. after two attempts.
Title 42 notably led to an increase in repeat crossers.

We can see why Trump doesn't want this. The gop have backed themselves into a corner now. They don't pass this and Biden can run up and down all day saying " I was ready to sign this but the gop wasn't serious.".

Or they pass it and **** Trump main angle against Biden.

It's sad where the gop currently is. Worthless

The details: The agreement would automatically reject migrants and asylum seekers from crossing the border illegally once the daily average for border crossings surpasses 5,000 over a week or crossings surpass 8,500 on a single day, sources tell Axios.

The Department of Homeland Security would also have the option of using the authority even earlier — once crossings surpass a daily average of 4,000 over the course of a week.
Migrants could be granted exceptions for humanitarian reasons. There would also be harsher penalties for those who attempt to illegally cross the border multiple times, banning them from entering the U.S. after two attempts.

We can see why Trump doesn't want this. The gop have backed themselves into a corner now. They don't pass this and Biden can run up and down all day saying " I was ready to sign this but the gop wasn't serious.".

I want to see the bill, the devil is always in the details. The Dems want to pass it real bad. Something is fishy in Denmark.

Yet another Democratic hair-brain idea. We don't want to see some massive race to the finish line at the border. That's the formula for having immigrants attack each other. Not good!

So 260,000 illegal crossings is an acceptable number? Who would be keeping count or will there be integrated queue ticket dispensers placed along the border?

Yet another Democratic hair-brain idea. We don't want to see some massive race to the finish line at the border. That's the formula for having immigrants attack each other. Not good!
It's a bi partisan bill....both parties are working on it..its like you ignore reality

So 260,000 illegal crossings is an acceptable number? Who would be keeping count or will there be integrated queue ticket dispensers placed along the border?
Perhaps read the stupid article and discover a world of knowledge so you don't waste everyone's time with redundant comments

Perhaps read the stupid article and discover a world of knowledge so you don't waste everyone's time with redundant comments
"The agreement would automatically reject migrants and asylum seekers from crossing the border illegally once the daily average for border crossings surpasses 5,000 over a week or crossings surpass 8,500 on a single day, sources tell Axios."

Perhaps you should read the article.

"The agreement would automatically reject migrants and asylum seekers from crossing the border illegally once the daily average for border crossings surpasses 5,000 over a week or crossings surpass 8,500 on a single day, sources tell Axios."

To put it in perspective versus the sheer size of this country:

We naturalized 878,500 people in 2023.

At 260k a year, it would take over a thousand years to still not match the current population here.

I did. And then it would need 2 weeks of under 3500 in order for the process to open back up.

They also need to iron some things out with mexico..

So...again...

The Biden administration could stop the flow of illegals right now if they wanted to.

This "bipartisan bill" isn't even necessary.

Conveniently forgotten by both of our two political parties or, if you wish, by the two sections of our federal legislature -- that two-handed engine, is the mechanism commonly known as reconciliation. Though presently limited to budgetary concerns, it could be extended by an act of Congress.

Regards, stay safe 'n well.

Senate GOP erupts in confusion over border negotiations following Wednesday night's closed door meeting on Ukraine.....

Biden promises to 'shut down' border if Congress approves bill GOP claims would 'incentivize illegal aliens'....

House Speaker Mike Johnson called the bill 'dead on arrival' due to its allotment for increased visas and failure to enforce laws already on the books....

Guess where I found these headlines and bilines....

Hannity keeps saying Biden could end it all by enforcing the law. What law is he talking about? Asking for a friend.

Also -"I think it's slipping away. I think when Trump weighed in like he did – remember, that's the political force we're dealing with," said Sen. Mike Braun (R-Ind.), who said the package's components should be split up."

I think we all realize that an average voter attention span is measured in seconds, and one or two screens is the max. Thirty second advertisements in the fall are going to be blunt, even if they're oversimplified,

We tried but Trump said NO.

This really looks like a stupid piece of legislation, in difficulty of enforcement. People crossing the border illegally don't line up to take a number. How can border patrol be expected to count and say, "I'm sorry. You are illegal crosser number 5001 for the day. We're closed". I doubt they even have a total until the different offices submit their report at the end of the day.

What's wrong with saying that Asylum will not be considered if you don't come through a port of entry - full stop?

That won't make any difference. How about the GOP ignore him and we could see something improve.
Maybe they do. All I care to discuss is how to improve the border issue.

Maybe they do. All I care to discuss is how to improve the border issue.

Well, there's plenty of Senators saying trump is involved. I would say a compromise and an attempt at a solution would start with getting trump out of the equation.

Back
Top Bottom