• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Senate Wises Up and Blocks Extension of "Patriot" Act

jfuh said:
How about this, since you extreemist conservatives love the patriot act so much. How about we make it only applicable to you while the rest of us live our lives freely.

Ok and how about all liberals have to fly on the same planes and those planes aren't screened. And all liberals have to work in the same places and any information we get about a terrorist attack on those locations gets thrown in the garbage, you're on your own. And all liberals have to live in the same city and any information we get pertaining to attacks on those cities gets ignored?

But please tell me how has the Patriot Act prevented you from living "freely"?

Oh and just how does the patriot act make ME safer?

Oh by preventing the Brooklyn Bridge from being blown up.

How does looking at library records make me safer?

Well if it's someone associated with Al Qaeda and they are doint research in a library, you don't want to know what they are looking at? And BTW library records have ALWAYS been subject to searches, the Patriot Act didn't change that, in fact it says nothing about library records.

jfuh said:
No, I'm not kidding. Welcome to the information age, library records? You have got to be ******** me. Look at the medium you're using now, you think a person looking to make a bomb need go to the library? You think a loony need go to a library for fanatical crap?
Do you honestly think that terrorists need to use phone systems to communicate with sleeper cells? Patriot act is nothing but a misleading name that in itself is the basis of un-patriotic acts.

Which is preciesly why the whole library issues is a red herring BROUGHT UP BY THE LEFT! The Patriot Act says NOTHING about library records. And YOU brought it up here. But yes if some dumb terrorist is using our library's to research things I want to know what he's up to, DON"T YOU?

What is it exactly that you think effects YOU as far as the Patriot Act?

jfuh said:
After three major revisions. Wow, that must have pissed you off huh?
Not at all. I think it's improved.

KCConservative said:
Not at all. I think it's improved.

Have you read it in it's entirety? Has anyone from the house or senate read it in it's entirety?
Doh!
Follow the leader. Let's be dictated. Let's forget about democracy. Let's just pretend that we support it. Good Job. Now go fight for my dictation. You people make me sick!

Stinger said:
Ok and how about all liberals have to fly on the same planes and those planes aren't screened. And all liberals have to work in the same places and any information we get about a terrorist attack on those locations gets thrown in the garbage, you're on your own. And all liberals have to live in the same city and any information we get pertaining to attacks on those cities gets ignored?
This is part of the patriot act? Your favorite fallacy, juxtaposition.

Stinger said:
But please tell me how has the Patriot Act prevented you from living "freely"?
I don't know if it has.

Stinger said:
Oh by preventing the Brooklyn Bridge from being blown up.
The patriot act did that? Has this act tracked more shipping containers? Has it secured the nuclear plants any better? Just how the hell does tracking my library records or "library records of terrorists" help you find terrorists? You still havent' answered this at all.

Stinger said:
Well if it's someone associated with Al Qaeda and they are doint research in a library, you don't want to know what they are looking at? And BTW library records have ALWAYS been subject to searches, the Patriot Act didn't change that, in fact it says nothing about library records.
Certainly an Al Qaeda member would walk into the local public library and search for.... what, that s/he couldn't get online? They're not going to do that.
As for searches, yes, they've always been used, but to the extent of warentless? This is about civil liberties. To protect those that are innocent. If you are suspecting a terrorist within the US now don't you think the terrorist would've been brought in by now? Bills such as the patriot act are only against US citizens, thus the neccessity of civil rights oversight.

Stinger said:
Which is preciesly why the whole library issues is a red herring BROUGHT UP BY THE LEFT! The Patriot Act says NOTHING about library records. And YOU brought it up here. But yes if some dumb terrorist is using our library's to research things I want to know what he's up to, DON"T YOU?

What is it exactly that you think effects YOU as far as the Patriot Act?
Oh damn, always the left isn't it? Screw the left they mess so many things up.
Oh it doesn't affect me, what do you care? The exact mentality that allowed for dictators and ultra nationalists governments.
Civil rights, well your white, who cares what happens to minorities it doesn't affect you.
Is that what the US is becoming? Is that what it means to be the beacon of freedom?

jfuh said:
After three major revisions. Wow, that must have pissed you off huh?

Feingold and Spectre claim the revisions were totally cosmetic.

Carl said:
Feingold and Spectre claim the revisions were totally cosmetic.
I don't see how the required congressional involvement is "cosmetic". Perhaps by denial?
Also it's good to see that this bill was not implemented into an actual law but would still expire after couple more years and be up for revisal. I don't know about you but the rest of us are pretty tired of being lied to.

Last edited:
jfuh said:
I don't see how the required congressional involvement is "cosmetic". Perhaps by denial?

I dunno, you'd have to take that up with Senators Feingold and Specter.

jfuh said:
Also it's good to see that this bill was not implemented into an actual law but would still expire after couple more years and be up for revisal.

I think you mean permanent law. It is actual law that expires, or "sunsets", if you will. Prior to the sunset, it remains actual law.

jfuh said:
I don't know about you but the rest of us are pretty tired of being lied to.

I'd have to believe I was being lied to, before I could tire of it.

I'm very happy that at least the Republican party realizes that the Constitution and the Bill of Rights don't constitute a suicide pact with our mortal enemies.

Did someone hear something??? I think it was security falling a little more....:lol:

Well now "Stinger"...lets just break this down ....shall we:

Stinger said:
Actually my statement had nothing to do with it, it is merely an observation.

Had you used an attempt to actually interpret what I said in english, you might have seen the generalization implicit in my statement...ie:

By your statement you imply those who do not support the act, must be dealing with terrorists. Please do not attempt to use weak psycology, and then deny its use, it only removes what respect you might have.

And your is a prime example of why those who believe we can do nothing and survive lost. And you having to use invectives to make a point only show how weak your arguement really is.

Again, attempting to place me in a box by interpreting what was said in your own Biased light. Had you actually comprehended in some small measure what I wrote, it seems obvious I am not against the Patriot act, but rather somewhat dissapointed in the ways it is implemented. And the supposed use of invective (read abusive) language is another example of your consistent overreactive, argumentative nature. I fail to see how pointing out those less informed are more inclined to fear, as derogatory.....oh...wait I could play your own game, What Are You Afraid of Stinger?

First you don't know what the adminsitration and the DHS is doing because most of it is classified and you can't even state anything specific but have to resort to specious claims that they "aren't taking it seriuosly", really lame.

At no point did I state they are not taking anything seriousy, though I implied they are not taking some aspects seriously enough. I seriously question your ability to think rationally when you remove all context from a sentance. Hell you not only removed the context, you butchered the entire statement. As for not "Knowing" what DHS is doing, this is quite true....but I think the recent Ports deal might shed a bit of light on the issue. As does the weakness in security throughout the United States where Chemical/Nuclear plants are concerned. Having someone with your post history call me lame is....well, not very insulting

Well if the Dems and left would refrain from the bogus attacks they engage in and actually try to do something to support increasing our securtiy we might be able to make better progress. Don't hold your breath.

Gotta agree with you here....I see no better resolve from the Democrats, and in fact see them as a hinderance to security in many ways. Thing is.....I dont think that was the issue here. To put it bluntly Stinger....I would prefer you didnt attack me, as you are not the type of individual I usually play with, just not very fun to be honest.

Back
Top Bottom