• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Scientists discover that atheists might not exist, and that’s not a joke...

Yah, the article in the OP is from July 2014, 8 years ago. There's been no follow-up since then? No studies either confirming or denying the premise that metaphysics is so deeply ingrainted in human brains that it can't be eliminated by an act of human will? That seems like a topic that would draw a lot of interest. No one's followed up on it?

Hong Kong | @NuryVittachi

Faith, race, culture, politics, science, and history can be delicate issues to write about anywhere. But they’re especially difficult, even dangerous, to cover when you’re a journalist addressing religious opposition and challenging the most repressive governments throughout Asia.
Nury Vittachi, born in Sri Lanka and based in Hong Kong, not only writes about these topics but jokes about them. He uses humor in his articles, weekly columns, and novels to encourage dialogue between Christians and Muslims, atheists and people of faith, and scientists and science skeptics. Through lighthearted yet subversive barbs, Vittachi has also used his platform to critique oppressive governments in Asia—and as a result has been sacked from a number of jobs.
“Christianity triggers hostility in many parts of Asia, so I avoid being serious or preachy and instead go for a goofy loser stance,” said Vittachi. “When people express puzzlement that a religious person can have such a wicked sense of humor, I say, ‘I belong to a sinners-only faith, and I’m top of the league table.’ ”
His colorful background—born to a Buddhist mother and Muslim father, married to a Catholic-raised Englishwoman, and father to three adopted Chinese children—has equipped him to connect with people from a panoply of contexts. His million-strong audiences are primarily made up of atheists, Muslims, and Hindus.
In addition, Vittachi has played a key role in the formation of the Asia Literary Review, the Man Asian Literary Prize, and the new World Readers’ Award.

Twitter

Yah, the article in the OP is from July 2014, 8 years ago. There's been no follow-up since then? No studies either confirming or denying the premise that metaphysics is so deeply ingrainted in human brains that it can't be eliminated by an act of human will? That seems like a topic that would draw a lot of interest. No one's followed up on it?
lol, 8 years ago...cuz that's so long ago...:sneaky:

Wrong...your point is not the point the article is making...
And? There are countless posts in this forum in which posters disagree with the position stated in the OP and accompanying documents.

And? There are countless posts in this forum in which posters disagree with the position stated in the OP and accompanying documents.
Let them...I agree with it...

Right, atheism is just denial of reality and an attempt to escape having to come to terms with one's eternal fate.

No one could be "born an atheist" unless it was symptom of a mental or genetic defect. People can merely be indoctrinated into believing they're atheists.

Even "evolutionism" is basically just a form of theism. It's nature worship and the embrace of the feminine deity "Mother Earth" rather than the masculine deity "Father Sky". No different than nature worship which existed for thousands of years among pagan cultures.

Some people say religious people are very poorly educated.

lol, 8 years ago...cuz that's so long ago...:sneaky:
Yah. The blogger you referenced has to play tag with the Communist Chinese intelligence agencies, & they're sufficiently paranoid & dedicated to make it a real risk, with very real outcomes.

In a purely academic setting in the West - I would expect that someone or some interest group would have picked up on the deep embedded theory he cited, & run with it. @ least to the extent of conducting field experiments to see if they could detect such imprinting. Given the lack of any published follow-up studies, I suspect that either the theory is hard to test, or it hasn't held up in the preliminary evaluation of whether it's worth pursuing or not.

Again, given the current interest in all things related to inherent cognitive bias - someone should have jumped on this hobbyhorse, ridden it to a lather, & put it away wet ...

Yeah shunning isnt optional. Most ex JWs i speak to feel as if their entire family has abandoned them and it hurts them.
Would you like to hear the flip-side of the coin? As told by a JW Mom on Quora...

My son has been disfellowshipped for over 20 years. He practices homosexuality. That has been one of the biggest challenges of my life. Over 7 years ago my husband, my son’s father came down with blood cancer. I called my son and told him. For a while he would call and check on him. But last year he died. When they put him on hospice, I texted him and told him if he wanted to see his Dad he should come up here right away. Absolutely no response. Then I texted him and told him his Dad had died. Still no response. It was Covid so we had his service on zoom. I sent my son the code for his service. No response. He didn’t Arendt his service. I sent him many pictures of his Dad. No response. I called him and he refused to take my call. He’s totally broken my heart. I had my will changed and have left him $30,000. He originally was in my will for a percentage of my estate. I love him so much. A mother’s love never stops. I had made arrangements to go see him but I’ve changed all those plans. I’m not opening myself for anymore pain.
https://www.quora.com/

No one could be "born an atheist" unless it was symptom of a mental or genetic defect. People can merely be indoctrinated into believing they're atheists.
Everyone is born an agnostic.

Then they learn a language and have trouble filtering out the bullshit.

Back
Top Bottom