• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Satan - What is his purpose in life ?

One of Satan's purposes is to copycat God

1. Satan has a throne (Revelation 2:13).
2. Satan has his own doctrines (Revelation 2:24; 1 Timothy 4:1; 1 Corinthians 2:10).
3. Satan has a synagogue (Revelation 2:9; 3:9).
4. Satan has a communion table (1 Corinthians 10:21).
5. Satan has people sacrificing at his altar (Deuteronomy 32:17; 1 Corinthians 10:20).
6. Satan has a counterfeit cup (1 Corinthians 10:21).
7. Satan gives his doctrines to men to teach (1 Timothy 4:1).
8. Satan is an angel of light (2 Corinthians 11:14).
9. Satan has demonic and human messengers (2 Corinthians 11:13).
10. Satan has a kingdom (Matthew 12:26).
11. Satan does counterfeit miracles, signs, and wonders (Revelation 16:14; Exodus 7:8-12).
12. Satan has false prophets, apostles and teachers (2 Corinthians 11:13-14; 2 Peter 2:1; Mark 13:22; Matthew 13:38).
13. Satan has a city, Mystery Babylon, to oppose the city of God in New Jerusalem (Rev. 17:5).
14. Satan has his own harlot church, to counterfeit the Bride of Christ (Revelation 17:5).
15. Satan and his demons seek worship (Leviticus 17:7; Deuteronomy 32:17; 2 Chronicles 11:15; Psalm 106:37; 1 Corinthians 10:20; Revelation 9:20; Matthew 4:8-10).
16. Satan has his false Christ, the rival of Jesus, the Christ (1 John 2:18-22).
17. Satan has his own Trinity (Satan, the Antichrist, and the false prophet (Revelation 16:13-14; John 5:43).
18. Satan inhabits some human bodies, counterfeiting the Holy Spirit living in the redeemed (John 13:27 with 1 Corinthians 6:19).
19. Satan seals his followers with a name on their foreheads, which is counterfeit of God’s name on His people’s foreheads (Revelation 13:16 with 7:1-3).

Source: The Foundations of Christian Doctrine, Kevin J. Conner, page 107.

Sounds to me like you spend WAAAY too much time thinking about this Satan thing.

The mythology of Satan, as some kind of antagonist to God, as well as stories of the world being about an epic battle between Good and Evil, and the eschatology of the final epic showdown between these forces in the "end days", and ideas of heaven and hell for those who have done good or evil, etc... are the product of influences of Persian Zoroastrianism and dualism on Jewish thought.

Before the Jews were exposed to these ideas when they were freed by the Persians from the Babylonian captivity, the ideas of "Satan" and the after-life were far less developed. For example, in the "book of Job", Satan is more like a counselor to God. Apparently they had regular conversations together. And the purpose of life was not about some epic battle between good and evil. It was about the covenant of one particular god, Yahweh, to help the tribe of Israel survive and beat up all the other gods. He promised them he was the strongest god of all, but he was a "jealous god", and like a Mafia boss, demanded absolute loyalty and blind worship to deliver his "protection". If the Israelites kept their end of the bargain, he would deliver his. And the concept of the after-life was not very well developed at all.

But after the Babylonian captitivity, Daniel, the Jewish prophet, was given a very high post as a counselor and advisor in the court of the Persian emperor, Cyrus. Cyrus even married a Jewish girl, Esther, who has her own book in the OT. It was during this time that there was a lot of cross-pollination of ideas and mythologies. Jewish monotheism met Zoroastrian dualism, and these ideas incubated in Jewish thought for centuries after.

The 3 wise men were the 3 "magi". The word "magi" is the term for a Zoroastrian priest.

But the time Christianity came about, there were numerous stories of the Apocalypse, and this idea that the universe was more than just about the tribe of Israel vs. the world had taken root in Jewish thought. And so Christianity took root from such soil.

The mythology of Satan, as some kind of antagonist to God, as well as stories of the world being about an epic battle between Good and Evil, and the eschatology of the final epic showdown between these forces in the "end days", and ideas of heaven and hell for those who have done good or evil, etc... are the product of influences of Persian Zoroastrianism and dualism on Jewish thought.

Before the Jews were exposed to these ideas when they were freed by the Persians from the Babylonian captivity, the ideas of "Satan" and the after-life were far less developed. And the purpose of life was not about some epic battle between good and evil. It was about the covenant of one particular god, Yahweh, to help the tribe of Israel survive and beat up all the other gods. He promised them he was the strongest god of all, but he was a "jealous god", and like a Mafia boss, demanded absolute loyalty and blind worship to deliver his "protection". And the concept of the after-life was not very well developed at all.

But after the Babylonian captitivity, Daniel, the Jewish prophet, was given a very high post as a counselor and advisor in the court of the Persian emperor, Cyrus. Cyrus even married a Jewish girl, Esther, who has her own book in the OT. There was a lot of cross-pollination of ideas and mythologies. Jewish monotheism met Zoroastrian dualism, and these ideas incubated in Jewish thought for centuries after.

The 3 wise men were the 3 "magi". The word "magi" is the term for a Zoroastrian priest.

But the time Christianity came about, there were numerous stories of the Apocalypse, and this idea that the universe was more than just about the tribe of Israel vs. the world had taken root in Jewish thought. And so Christianity took root from such soil.

Too few people pay attention to this kind of history. So, they cling to their silly beliefs and ignore basic facts.

So assuming that the Christian god exists...and so does Satan.

What is Satan's purpose in life ?

It seems to me he does God's work.

He tempts people to do evil things, then when their souls are cast down into hell, he punishes them for doing the VERY things he tempted to do in the first place!

Isn't this illogical ?

If you die and find yourself in hell...might you not question Satan on his consistency ?

Might you not ask him why you're being punished...and if he says it's because you did evil things, might you not ask Satan why he doesn't punish himself ?

Surely you REWARD people for doing what you want them to do ?

But if Satan is punishing the wicked, surely he's doing what God wants him to do...he's doing God's work.

BUT if that is the case and Satan is God's servant, why does he tempt men to do wicked things in the first place.

Has the church not thought this through ?

I think when God created good bad or evil had to be created at the same time. No left without a right. No up without a down. No hot without cold.

To create something from nothing is a simple mathematical problem. ( -1 + 1 = 0 )

If you want to create good from nothing you must also create it's opposite as well. I think God was well aware of the problem but decide that it was worth it. The Pandora's box.

And, this is from the guy that things Jesus is both an Angel and God. Talk about 'jack legged'

That article went right over your head, didn't it? Not surprised.

The key word in that article was "messenger" (translated 'angel' in many cases but translated as 'messenger' in a Messianic passage from Malachi 3:1):

"Then suddenly the Lord you are seeking will come to his temple; the messenger (malak - same word as used for angel the Old Testament) of the covenant, whom you desire, will come," says the LORD Almighty."

"Twelfth century Jewish scholar, Rabbi David Kimchi, referred to the Malachi verse, saying, “The Lord, the angel of the covenant, is the Messiah.” - Risto Santala, The Messiah in the Old Testament In Light of Rabbinical Writings (Jerusalem: Keren Ahvah Meshihit, 1992), p.102-103.

Which just shows how shallow your understanding of the issue is.

The key word in that article was "messenger" (translated 'angel' in many cases but translated as 'messenger' in a Messianic passage from Malachi 3:1):

"Then suddenly the Lord you are seeking will come to his temple; the messenger (malak - same word as used for angel the Old Testament) of the covenant, whom you desire, will come," says the LORD Almighty."

"Twelfth century Jewish scholar, Rabbi David Kimchi, referred to the Malachi verse, saying, “The Lord, the angel of the covenant, is the Messiah.” - Risto Santala, The Messiah in the Old Testament In Light of Rabbinical Writings (Jerusalem: Keren Ahvah Meshihit, 1992), p.102-103.

lol...ironic bringing up shallow while defending a fairy tale.

lol...ironic bringing up shallow while defending a fairy tale.

What is this - year five? - and you still haven't substantiated or provided any credible evidence for your "fairy tale" claim. Maybe someday, huh Calamity?

Ah yes, one fo those "Messianic Jewish" forgeries.

Ramoss is absolutely correct. You have no clue about Judaism.

And, notice, his source is 'messanic Jewish' (I.e.evangalistic Christian faking being Jewish to try to convert Jews)

What he did is he found a random person who made a list up on the internet, and just cut/paste it. He didn't look at the context of any of those passages. I didn't check the New Testament quotes, but the ones I checked in the Jewish Scriptures were not talking about Satan at all.

Obviously that daoes not surprise me. I see the religious posters here as having very strong skitzo thinking types of behaviour. The lack of ability to screen ideas through a sive of reason. The question that beggs in my head is it a matter of choice to be like this or what?

He tempts people to do evil things, then when their souls are cast down into hell, he punishes them for doing the VERY things he tempted to do in the first place!

Isn't this illogical ?

If you die and find yourself in hell...might you not question Satan on his consistency ?

Might you not ask him why you're being punished...and if he says it's because you did evil things, might you not ask Satan why he doesn't punish himself ?

But if Satan is punishing the wicked, surely he's doing what God wants him to do...he's doing God's work.

BUT if that is the case and Satan is God's servant, why does he tempt men to do wicked things in the first place.

Where do you get he idea that Satan's job is to punish people?? I think that you're operating under a deeply flawed assumption....

Isn't the question why does God allow Satan to exist?

Love. Without a free will choice, there is no love. Satan gives us something to choose between, so that we can make the choice to love God. If the only flavor of ice cream in the whole world was vanilla, you really couldn't call it your favorite flavor, since it's your only choice. God wants to be our "favorite", to truly love Him and if we can't make that a CHOICE, then we can't truly love.

Isn't this illogical ?

Punishing only means that he would like to have you owned and captured. Initially all he wants is to win God for once. It seems that he failed thus went insane, and desperate in capturing souls as many as he can.

I don't think that this figure is a fiction. I myself had an encounter with this entity. That's before I formally converted to Christianity, and to figure out who he actually is (or rather who I have encountered). The strangest thing to me is that ever since that encounter it seems that I have some kind of special sense about him. Thus I can point out his tricks which no other humans can.

What God created is a mechanism which can be used to create both angels and humans who can exercise freewill to the different extent. You are created by God but you can be an enemy of God by your freewill.

Last edited:
Satan's purpose?

Beer

This Satan guy does not exist.

Satan "exists" because Abrahamics need a scapegoat for all the **** that happens in the world. Every question beginning with, "How could a loving god allow......" can be deflected into Satan's inbox. How very convenient.

Back
Top Bottom