• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Sasse to vote no on Jackson's Supreme Court nomination

We can start with post #17.

And you can spare me the repeat of the entire hearing.

It was D.C. politics on full display and kept me wondering why we wanted to put these morons in charge of our health care.

You got nothing.

What, a Republican says no? (Anyone else shocked?)

Manchin has said he will support Jackson ..........

Olympia Snowe would support Jackson thus Susan Collins would
now Olympia Snowe is gone and Collins seems to be = what happened?

What, a Republican says no? (Anyone else shocked?)

Most should say yes. That would be a great gesture of unity.

But, I ain't holding my breath.

I like Sasse.....but I think this is a bummer.

We have differing philosophies. A liberal democracy respects that; one side doesn't cancel out the other. It's sort of ironic that you don't see dictatorship in that.
No, and I think you misunderstand the point I was making, and it's not a matter of different philosophies or a matter of cancelling out the other. It's what the proper POV of the roles of the branches of government are. The Courts/Judicial the status quo branch of government. The Congress/Legislative is the branch of government for change. The President is the executive branch and is neither for change or status quo, but for maintaining the laws and security of the nation.

But if the Supreme Court operates in an activist manner, and take it upon themself to change and "update with the times", what does that "philosophy" actually mean? Well, it utterly usurps the role of the Legislative branch. If a court interprets or grants and entirely new "updated" power or policy, that creates new laws, and even more, de facto constitutional amendments. And how do you stop them from making up whatever they want at that point? They can declare anything they want to be constitutional and anything they don't like unconstitutional, and nothing outside of the destruction of the judicial branch could stop it.

I guess all of this would matter if the left needed votes from the right, they don't.

Manchin has said he will support Jackson ..........

Olympia Snowe would support Jackson thus Susan Collins would
now Olympia Snowe is gone and Collins seems to be = what happened?
Susan Collins had a lot of positive things to say after meeting with Jackson and as always, said she would make her decision after the hearing. But now she's started making noises about judicial philosophy, too. I've never heard her wax eloquent about that before. If she votes no, shs's got some deal cooking with Mitch. He and Collins are trying to get a sane anti-Trumper Republican to run in 2024.

There are maybe 10 black people living in Maine. She has her seat for five more years. She can vote how she likes.

Susan Collins had a lot of positive things to say after meeting with Jackson and as always, said she would make her decision after the hearing. But now she's started making noises about judicial philosophy, too. I've never heard her wax eloquent about that before. If she votes no, shs's got some deal cooking with Mitch. He and Collins are trying to get a sane anti-Trumper Republican to run in 2024.

There are maybe 10 black people living in Maine. She has her seat for five more years. She can vote how she likes.
There is no such thing as a sane anti trumpet republican because ALEC dollars control the selection:
--- http://www.motherjones.com/politics...candidate-training-recruiting-aegis-strategic

Back
Top Bottom