• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

S.F. is spending $1.7 million on one public toilet: ‘What are they making it out of — gold?’

eman623

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
CA Assemblyman Matt Haney (D-San Francisco) is deservedly getting raked over the coal on this one. He approved a $1.7 public toilet in SF's Now Valley Plaza. He knew how much it would cost and how long it would take to complete, but why would he care? It's not his money, it's the suckers, er taxpayers. He gets the win of a photo op, so it's full steam ahead.

Then the Chronicle writes the below op-ed and Haney abruptly cancels the unveiling claiming, "Who knew it was gonna cost to much?!"

LA spent $1.7 million on SEVEN, yes seven public toilets, and did it in 8 months. SF needs that for a single toilet that won't be completed until 2025 at least!

Reactions: PoS
Seattle went down this route with automated toilets. Eventually they become a haven for drug use and prostitution. They had to pull them out costing the city even more. It would be comical if it wasn't for the fact we wasted a million dollars of taxpayer's money on them.

Seattle went down this route with automated toilets. Eventually they become a haven for drug use and prostitution. They had to pull them out costing the city even more. It would be comical if it wasn't for the fact we wasted a million dollars of taxpayer's money on them.
Seattle has a shocking amount of open opioid use.

I saw this on Twitter a couple days ago. The fact that so many US cities spend this much money on building the most basic things - and that often they don't even seem to care - is a major policy failure. Because this isn't just about a toilet, or even wasting taxpayer money. Shit like this is the reason we can't build decent infrastructure.

It would most likely be cheaper if they didn't insist on this being built by the special forces.
Seal Team 6 would be more helpful doing other things I would imagine.

The title would be more accurate if it read "SF is not going to be spending . . . "

Administrators can do some dumb shit. It's typically caught by one outlet or another. This was caught. But I suppose any excuse to run with a poop and needles in SF thread just has to be taken in this day and age.

Newsom shows us that he does in fact have a modicum of intelligence:

Newsom is normally totally on board with his cronies making bank off the taxpayers.

But he wants to be president, so he has to pretend to care when an outrageous story like this goes viral.

CA Assemblyman Matt Haney (D-San Francisco) is deservedly getting raked over the coal on this one. He approved a $1.7 public toilet in SF's Now Valley Plaza. He knew how much it would cost and how long it would take to complete, but why would he care? It's not his money, it's the suckers, er taxpayers. He gets the win of a photo op, so it's full steam ahead.

Then the Chronicle writes the below op-ed and Haney abruptly cancels the unveiling claiming, "Who knew it was gonna cost to much?!"

LA spent $1.7 million on SEVEN, yes seven public toilets, and did it in 8 months. SF needs that for a single toilet that won't be completed until 2025 at least!

I would take this more seriously if the Ark hadn't been built in Kentucky with taxpayer money, local government selling government junk bonds and spending close to 10 million on roads leading to the Ark. On top of that, the state will give a 1.8 million rebate annually.

So, while I agree that 1.7 million for a crapper is excessive...at least it will be more functional then the revisionist history Ark and all the graft surrounding it. Sorry, you don't get to be outraged when your side has already done something just as, if not more, expensively stupid.

Great!

Now the homeless can shit in style.

I would take this more seriously if the Ark hadn't been built in Kentucky with taxpayer money, local government selling government junk bonds and spending close to 10 million on roads leading to the Ark. On top of that, the state will give a 1.8 million rebate annually.
According to Wikipedia, the Ark Encounter theme park had 800K paid visitors in its first year, and 18 months ago was ready to welcome its 10,000,000th visitor. It also contributed $23 million to the local tourism economy in its first year.

Seems like a fairly successful private-public partnership. Whatever Kentucky kicked in, it looks like it will eventually get paid back and then some.

It's also worth noting that a 500 foot ark was built in under 3 years in Kentucky. SF needs that long to build a freaking TOILET!

Although a $1.7 million public toilet might have become a perverse sort of tourist attraction too had the governor not put the brakes on the project.

So, while I agree that 1.7 million for a crapper is excessive...at least it will be more functional then the revisionist history Ark and all the graft surrounding it. Sorry, you don't get to be outraged when your side has already done something just as, if not more, expensively stupid.
So glad to hear you say that. You'll be sorry to hear your outrage rights have been canceled when I tell you the Biden administration resurrected California's $100+ BILLION dollar high speed rail boondoggle. Yes, for a mere $100 to $120 Billion (or about the same cost as a thousand Ark Encounters), you too can enjoy traveling between LA and SF in only twice the time it takes to fly right now.

Actually, the money will run out long before then. About the time the current project from Fresno to Merced is completed. We'll have a $10 billion (or about a hundred Ark Encounters) train to nowhere.

Noe Valley.

Have you ever been to San Francisco?

Noe Valley.

Have you ever been to San Francisco?
Yes. I live an hour away and have been there countless times, including Noe Valley.

It's a shithole these days, at least the parts bordering the Mission District.

Yes. I live an hour away and have been there countless times, including Noe Valley.

It's a shithole these days, at least the parts bordering the Mission District.
You called it Now Valley.

You should know that.

Last edited:
I do. It's called a typo. The E and W keys are right next to each other.
Look, dude, if you're gonna take on Gavin Newsom, could you at least make the effort to make fewer typos than he does? This is a politics debate forum. If you can't keep up with the keyboarding skills of a professional politician, how are we supposed to take you seriously?!

Grammar Nazis are cheerfully ignored.

Back
Top Bottom