• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Russian opposition leader goes on hunger strike in prison, and Putin's government has "no comment"

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

4/1/21
Moscow — Vladimir Putin's government had nothing to say on Thursday about his biggest critic, opposition leader Alexey Navalny, going on hunger strike in prison to protest what he's described as a lack of proper medical care. In a handwritten statement, a picture of which was posted online by his allies on Wednesday, Navalny said that his physical condition was worsening, but that he'd been unable to see a doctor of his choice and receive necessary medications. "I demand a doctor to be allowed to see me, and until that happens I will be on a hunger strike," Navalny said in the note. He said that he had been requesting medical assistance every day for almost a month but received little help. In a post to his Twitter account on Thursday, Navalny's team said a prison weigh-in showed the dissident had already shed almost 18 pounds in detention even before he decided to refuse food. This is the first time that Navalny, President Putin's most prominent detractor, has gone on hunger strike in years of activism. He's been jailed many times over the years, usually at local holding facilities, but several weeks ago was transferred to a large penal colony for the first time, to serve a two-and-a-half-year sentence for violating the terms of a previous suspended sentence.

Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said "there is no comment" when asked during his Thursday press briefing about Navalny's hunger strike, calling it a matter for the country's prison service to determine in consultation with human rights and monitoring organizations. Navalny's lawyers and allies raised the alarm over his deteriorating condition last week, saying they feared for his life. He says he suffers with severe pain in his back, which has now spread to his right leg, and that he is losing sensation in his both legs. "I would have done with one leg somehow. But I don't want at all to lose two legs at once," he said in the message posted to his Instagram account by his team, who have been able to visit him regularly. "So I'm lying hungry, but so far with two legs." The prison service responded to Navalny's complaints with a statement saying the inmate had been provided with, "all the necessary medical aid in accordance with his current medical indications." The United States, the European Union and various individual EU countries have called on Putin's government to release Navalny immediately, but the Kremlin has shrugged off those calls as interference in Russia's internal affairs.

The Kremlin wouldn't allow German doctors to visit with Navalny, but they did send convicted Russian spy Maria Butina and a crew from RT to interview Mr. Navalny.

That interview did not go well for Ms. Butina.

Back
Top Bottom