• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Ron DeSantis and Bridget Ziegler reshaping Florida's public schools.

Bucky

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Without a detailed explanation, Gov. Ron DeSantis’ administration has rejected a new Advanced Placement course on African American studies for high school students, broadly claiming it violates state law and that it “lacks educational value.” When asked for specifics on the content, the Florida Department of Education did not respond, making it unclear what items the state believes are unlawful or objectionable. The course would be offered by the College Board, which administers the Advanced Placement program and the SAT exam. “In the future, should College Board be willing to come back to the table with lawful, historically accurate content, FDOE will always be willing to reopen the discussion,” the state wrote in a letter to the College Board, the company that administers the course as well as other interdisciplinary courses and the SAT exam.

Moms For Liberty was founded in January 2021 claiming it will “organize, educate and empower parents to defend their parental rights.” This advocacy has included calls for book bans, classroom censorship and bans on teaching about slavery, race, racism and LGBTQ people and history. (Pictured above from left to right: Tiffany Justice, Tina Descovich, Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis, Marie Rogerson.)

Moms for Liberty claims to be a grassroots organization, but its founders and founding chapter have strong ties to high-ranking elected officials and national anti-LGBTQ groups including the Heritage Foundation. It claims to have 135 chapters in 35 states.

Founded by Bridget Ziegler, a candidate for Sarasota County school board, who is married to County Commissioner and Vice Chair of the Republican Party of Florida, Christian Ziegler, who attended the rally that preceded the deadly assault on the U.S. Capitol on January 6, 2021. Bridget Ziegler’s school board candidacy has been endorsed by anti-LGBTQ Governor DeSantis, and she appeared with DeSantis as he signed the “Don’t Say LGBTQ” bill into law, at a private school that would not be subject to the law.

I think what is important about DeSantis's anti-WOKE agenda, is that education and a curriculum need to have a singular focus. Not tailored and curated to different groups or demographics. Public School is not chartered or experimental. There are options for parents to send their kids to more.....alternative methods of schooling however public schools should not be creative or "woke."

Curriculums must have an explicit and clear educational value. I am unsure how much value African American studies has. DeSantis is doing a good job. Florida is considered one of the top five states for best-ranked public schools.

Last edited:
I am unsure how much value African American studies have.
Many people (including me) agree.

There should be, in my opinion, African American studies classes available to those students who want them.

But other students should not be subjected to them. Teaching about slavery & segregation should be limited to regular American history classes.

"Liberals" are doing a great disservice to the country (and the said ethnicity) by constantly harping on this subject.

Many people (including me) agree.

There should be, in my opinion, African American studies classes available to those students who want them.

But other students should not be subjected to them. Teaching about slavery & segregation should be limited to regular American history classes.

"Liberals" are doing a great disservice to the country (and the said ethnicity) by constantly harping on this subject.
Yea we need to protect whitey from learning about atrocities their ancestors created. We can’t have them learning about slavery and the advances blacks have made in society, we can only have whitey learning about white advances.

Did you shout “White power, white power white power!” As you typed? The right in Florida is a disgrace.

Yea we need to protect whitey from learning about atrocities their ancestors created. We can’t have them learning about slavery and the advances blacks have made in society, we can only have whitey learning about white advances.

Did you shout “White power, white power white power!” As you typed? The right in Florida is a disgrace.

What about the mandatory Hispanic American studies? And then Asian American studies? And what about LGBTQ+ studies? And then Middle Eastern studies?

School isn't a social experiment. Children aren't lab rats.

What about the mandatory Hispanic American studies? And then Asian American studies? And what about LGBTQ+ studies? And then Middle Eastern studies?

School isn't a social experiment. Children aren't lab rats.
White power white power white power is what the right in Florida now chant.

FYI there are Hispanic and Asia studies as well.

I think what is important about DeSantis's anti-WOKE agenda, is that education and a curriculum need to have a singular focus. Not tailored and curated to different groups or demographics. Public School is not chartered or experimental. There are options for parents to send their kids to more.....alternative methods of schooling however public schools should not be creative or "woke."

Curriculums must have an explicit and clear educational value. I am unsure how much value African American studies has. DeSantis is doing a good job. Florida is considered one of the top five states for best-ranked public schools.

How does one determine "educational value"?

I think they're making the Right moves because schools for so long have just been terrible especially in the south. And one of the things that I keep thinking about is how suspicious people are the Catholic Church and sex with minors but this school abuses more kids than any church.

I think paying attention to the schools and working to fix the problems they're in is a good idea

I think they're making the Right moves because schools for so long have just been terrible especially in the south. And one of the things that I keep thinking about is how suspicious people are the Catholic Church and sex with minors but this school abuses more kids than any church.

I think paying attention to the schools and working to fix the problems they're in is a good idea

With all this "liberal education" in Florida schools all these years, how do they rank so high?

Being a teacher in that state must be more difficult than usual right now.

I had some great teachers in my life. NONE of them involved a woke agenda or a political agenda.

Being a teacher in that state must be more difficult than usual right now.

Having been a teacher, this would push me out the door. The attrition rate for new teachers is high as it is, but hey, why not drive it up even more...

I think the real goal for conservatives is to destroy public education entirely.

Having been a teacher, this would push me out the door. The attrition rate for new teachers is high as it is, but hey, why not drive it up even more...

I think the real goal for conservatives is to destroy public education entirely.
Well if the only way to reshape it and to make it better is to destroy it then yeah. That doesn't mean you don't build something else but it's set up like communism. If you're in public school you can't pick the school you go to it's based on where you live and that's the only School you get. And if it's crap and you don't have enough money to move **** you.

Why should people who live in certain neighborhoods be forced to accept shit education?

Well if the only way to reshape it and to make it better is to destroy it then yeah. That doesn't mean you don't build something else but it's set up like communism. If you're in public school you can't pick the school you go to it's based on where you live and that's the only School you get. And if it's crap and you don't have enough money to move **** you.

Why should people who live in certain neighborhoods be forced to accept shit education?

Does an AP class on African American studies mean you are getting a shitty education?

Should increase teacher satisfaction...

Tampa Bay’s three major school districts combine for more than 800 vacant teaching positions.

Changing curricula in public schools is unlikely to change cultural attitudes as a teen which has more to do with one's peers and community then what's in your homework.

Florida is considered one of the top five states for best-ranked public schools.
rolling-on-the-floor-laughing_1f923.png
I love how people post something that OTHER people can fact check.
Florida is ranted 14th in quality and 20th in safety.

I also love all this bleating about what should or should not be taught in schools. First......
Moms for Liberty has been criticized for harassment from its members, deepening divisions among parents, making it more challenging for school officials to educate students, and having close ties to the Republican Party rather than being a genuine grassroots effort.

What is also interesting to me is that the OP focuses on ONE group of parents, while ignoring the rest of them, I guess THEIR wishes don't matter.
So for those of you out there who think CRT and WOKENESS are what is consuming parents, you might need a dose of reality:
  1. Regardless of party affiliation, voters said they supported educators. Additionally, an overwhelming 84 percent said they most trust the opinions of teachers on what should be taught in schools.
OH yes, there is more:

According to voters, those top issues of importance are:

1. School shootings;
  1. A lack of funding for basics like teacher pay and building repairs:
  1. The difficulty in recruiting and retaining good teachers while paying them so little;
  1. A lack of mental-health supports for students who need them;
  1. The need for practical, skills-based education.
Other issues of “serious” concern to a majority of voters are: the need for students to get a full accounting of U.S. history, including slavery and Native American history; the need for students to catch up academically after the pandemic; and cuts to extra-curricular activities like sports and music.

So what a very small but vocal group wants to eliminate clearly goes AGAINST the wishes of what a majority of voters want when it comes to the highlighted blue part above.

What threads like this are really about is waking up in the morning, turning on fox news, getting outraged, and wanting to take the country back to the 1950s.

AND as usual, it is always the same cast of characters who post threads like this. Because for them, any progress, any advancement in understanding, any policy or curriculum that hurts their sensitivities makes them go.......

brain-explosion.gif

Back
Top Bottom