• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Rob Portman: Ohio Republican senator announces he won't run for reelection

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Rob Portman: Ohio Republican senator announces he won't run for reelection

170619170515-sen-portman-06-19-2017-large-169.jpg

1/25/21
Republican Sen. Rob Portman of Ohio announced Monday that he will not run for reelection after his current term in office ends in 2022, saying in a statement that the entrenched partisan gridlock in Washington was a factor in his decision. The announcement will set off what could become a highly competitive race to fill the seat and will reshape the 2022 battlefield for control of the Senate. "I feel fortunate to have been entrusted by the people of Ohio to represent them in the US Senate. Today, I am announcing that I have made a decision not to run again in 2022," Portman said in a statement. In announcing his decision, Portman also signaled he stands ready to work with the Biden administration as it attempts to win bipartisan support for the President's economic rescue package responding to the pandemic. "For many of the issues I am most passionate about, I will continue to make a difference outside of the Senate, beyond 2022. In the meantime, I am hopeful that President Biden will follow through on his inaugural pledge to reach across the aisle, and I am prepared to work with him and his administration if he does," he said.

This should be a highly competitive Senate race in 2020.

Thats 3 Republican seats open now.

You mean 2022.

I think Tim Ryan could make a run for this seat. Ohio has been trending red but it's not lost yet.
Yep. That trend has been rather frightening. I sorta feel what its like to live in Austin TX.

Portman has been alright for a republican though since Ohio has been getting more and more right wing, theres a lot of crazies that could take his place.
Let us hope they nominate an absolute loon to represent their party. Make it easier for the Dem to win.

You mean 2022.

I think Tim Ryan could make a run for this seat. Ohio has been trending red but it's not lost yet.
Ohio is projected to lose a CD once Biden cleans up Trump’s Census mess.

GOPs currently have a dominant 12-4 gerrymandered advantage in House seats in Ohio.

Moderate Rep. Tim Ryan would be a great Senator to go with Sen. Sherrod Brown.

It was going to be a competitive primary. Portman, Twomey, Burr.....lets add Romney. Murkowski. Sasse.
Let’s hope bat-shit crazy assholes like Jordan win Senate primaries in states like OH, PA, NC, GA, and AZ for 2022.

Let’s hope bat-shit crazy assholes like Jordan win Senate primaries in states like OH, PA, NC, GA, and AZ for 2022.

Why? Trump won OH comfortably in both 2016 and 2020. You don't think his closest ally Jordan (who can actually speak in complete sentences) can take it?

Why? Trump won OH comfortably in both 2016 and 2020. You don't think his closest ally Jordan (who can actually speak in complete sentences) can take it?
Sen. Brown also won comfortably in 2018. I’d like to see a Jordan 🆚 Ryan matchup. Ryan doesn’t have Jordan’s Ohio State problems.

Sen. Brown also won comfortably in 2018. I’d like to see a Jordan 🆚 Ryan matchup. Ryan doesn’t have Jordan’s Ohio State problems.

Trump Cult will always come up with "problems", imagined or not.

good riddance to portman

Back
Top Bottom