• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

request for evidence that a libertarian policy works

In that case, goobie, you have failed to understand the entire thread.
That's not the case at all.
You want to see if Libetarianism does what you want it to do, and you want someoe to show you that it does.
Presume for the moment that libertarianism does nOT do what you want it to do -- what conclusion to you reach?

Libertarianism shares a component with communism: They'd work great in theory, but there's that whole human nature problem.

Communism doesn't work well for either its adherents or non believers

Liberatarianism works well for industrious self reliant people-it tends not to work for the parasites who need others to take care of them

That's not the case at all.
You want to see if Libetarianism does what you want it to do, and you want someoe to show you that it does.
Presume for the moment that libertarianism does nOT do what you want it to do -- what conclusion to you reach?

Yes, I did put out the inquiry to see what some of the possible benefits to libertarianism are. Nothing wrong with that. We all ultimately try and find a political solution that addresses our individual societal goals. (Such as maximum liberty as libertarians tend to use the word).

The conclusion I reached from the people who are actually constructively participating in the thread is that libertarianism is a bit more complex than I thought. Specifically, in the case of Harry's links, while libertarianism may not explicitly reach for certain societal goals I may wish realized, there are perhaps some unintended benefits in that area. So my conclusion right now is mixed and warrents further study.

Ultimately though, I am getting the type of information I am looking for. Again, I know the societal goals that the common adherents tend to have in mind, but all systems have second and higher order effects that are often not discussed or fully understood. My reason for starting this thread was to ask people who knew more about what these possibly might be as searching on the internet just results in seeing useless biased info.

Last edited:
Yes, I did put out the inquiry to see what some of the possible benefits to libertarianism are. Nothing wrong with that. We all ultimately try and find a political solution that addresses our individual societal goals. (Such as maximum liberty as libertarians tend to use the word).

The conclusion I reached from the people who are actually constructively participating in the thread is that libertarianism is a bit more complex than I thought. Specifically, in the case of Harry's links, while libertarianism may not explicitly reach for certain societal goals I may wish realized, there are perhaps some unintended benefits in that area. So my conclusion right now is mixed and warrents further study.

You did not answer my question:
Presume for the moment that libertarianism does NOT do what you want it to do -- what conclusion to you reach?

The conclusion would be that I would wish to find a political system that does address my goals.

Last edited:
The conclusion would be that I would wish to find a political system that does address my goals.
And thislyt disregard libertarianism as a sound ideology.
This brings us back to you not having shown that the standard with which you come to this conclusion is sound.

And thislyt disregard libertarianism as a sound ideology.
This brings us back to you not having shown that the standard with which you come to this conclusion is sound.

I would not conclude it was not sound, only that it did not fulfill my goals.

Ultimately it is a system which will yield a result. It is the result that I care about, not the system itself. That is only a means to an end.

As I said in a previous post though. It is not nearly as simple as you seem to want it to be. Given what I have seen, libertarianism has the potential to achieve some of the goals I wish for and not others. Even if the achievement of those goals is an indirect result of its purpose. U.S. style Liberalism does not achieve all the goals I am looking for either, so right now I am still in the "market"

Ultimately, I see this as an engineering question more than an ideological question anyway. And the conclusions are similar, a mechanism might be sound in its stated purpose, but if it does not contribute to the device you wish to thing, you would disregard it and either find or design something that does work.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom