• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Republicans also gain control of more than 23 state chambers

Grim17

Battle Ready
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
It was a hell of a night for the republicans, even on the state level.

Republicans Won More Than 23 Legislative Chambers in Historic Wave Election
Posted by Jim Hoft on Wednesday, November 3, 2010, 9:06 AM

State Senate – Republicans Gain Majority Control
Alabama
Maine
New Hampshire
New York
North Carolina
Wisconsin

State House – Republicans Gain Majority Control
Alabama
Colorado
Indiana
Iowa
Maine
Michigan
Indiana
Michigan
Montana
New Hampshire
North Carolina
Ohio
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Tennessee
Wisconsin

Gateway Pundit

* The reason I said "more" than 23 chambers, is because I just heard a local Little Rock station report that Republicans got exactly the 39 seats they needed to regain control of their state legislature.

This was a wave that hit every level of government. Republicans won the house by the biggest number in 50 years. They made inroads in the Senate, knocking out a long standing member in Fiengold, and putting in some good staunch conservative voices. They now have more than half and nearing 2/3rds of the countries governorships. And even with state elections you're seeing major pic ups.

for the first time in over 136 years, the democrats no longer control the Alabama legislature.

free at last, free at last. thank God almighty, free at last :lamo

Last edited:
This was a wave that hit every level of government. Republicans won the house by the biggest number in 50 years. They made inroads in the Senate, knocking out a long standing member in Fiengold, and putting in some good staunch conservative voices. They now have more than half and nearing 2/3rds of the countries governorships. And even with state elections you're seeing major pic ups.

And control of redistricting.. Big time issue and one that wasn't reported on much this election.

Tim-

hmmmm.... the states themselves can amend the constitution; it's just always come out of congress before. do republicans control enough states now to do so? i'm thinking we can skip the veto and outlaw obamacare straight out...

So the the republican did well on election night. Before anyone starts ranting off about a republican comeback, let me remind you that this has happened to virtually every party after their president has been in power for two years. Given what happened in 1994, I'd say it could have been a whole lot worse for the democrats...

So the the republican did well on election night. Before anyone starts ranting off about a republican comeback, let me remind you that this has happened to virtually every party after their president has been in power for two years. Given what happened in 1994, I'd say it could have been a whole lot worse for the democrats...
It COULD have been, and yet, when it was all said and done, the democrats were still embarressed greatly.

My hope is that they do the honorable thing and don't engage in gerrymandering (I know both parties do it and I am against anyone doing it), so that the people's voice can be heard.

My hope is that they do the honorable thing and don't engage in gerrymandering (I know both parties do it and I am against anyone doing it), so that the people's voice can be heard.

Here's the issue with it and one of the reasons I'm vaugely okay with it on both sides at this point.

The peoples voices AREN'T being heard now, because there's places that are horribly gerrymandered. I know of a twisting turning oddly shaped districted that I lived in in college that was designed SPECIFICALLY to encorporate primarily black neighborhoods of Hampton Roads while attempting to stay away from locations heavy with military personel so as to continually elect representitive Bobby Scott.

And that's the problem. Its became so intertwined within the fabric of our political system that if you don't have parties swinging back and forth doing it you do end up taking the voices away of some people permanently because of horribly gerrymandered districts just staying that way forever....which, in this case, would be simply staying democratically favored forever.

Its one of those ****ty damned if you do, damned if you don't situations.

Here's the issue with it and one of the reasons I'm vaugely okay with it on both sides at this point.

The peoples voices AREN'T being heard now, because there's places that are horribly gerrymandered. I know of a twisting turning oddly shaped districted that I lived in in college that was designed SPECIFICALLY to encorporate primarily black neighborhoods of Hampton Roads while attempting to stay away from locations heavy with military personel so as to continually elect representitive Bobby Scott.

And that's the problem. Its became so intertwined within the fabric of our political system that if you don't have parties swinging back and forth doing it you do end up taking the voices away of some people permanently because of horribly gerrymandered districts just staying that way forever....which, in this case, would be simply staying democratically favored forever.

Its one of those ****ty damned if you do, damned if you don't situations.

Unfortunately.

I think we should pass a law along the lines of something saying "all district borders should be straight lines, defined by latitude and logitude coordinates, assuming that it is not on the border of a state where the lines are not straight." There is probably a better way to do it, but it gets the idea of what I would like to see across.

People would still try to find a way to game those shapes, but it would much, much harder to do, I think.

Keep in mind, fellow conservatives, that according to Nancy Pelosi, the wave of Republican gains was NOT a referendum on Obama, his policies, or how she ran Congress. It was a signal that the Obnama administration did not do enough, quick enough. She believes with all her heart the voters were pissed that we did not get MORE into the health care bill...MORE stimulus money... etc. etc. etc.

Hooray, Republicans control things. What? That won't actually change our lives for the better? We should worry more about actual policies than party affiliation? Most people don't adhere exactly to the platform of either party? All this partisan crap leads to more bickering and less actual improvement?

Oh right, we already knew this.

So the the republican did well on election night. Before anyone starts ranting off about a republican comeback, let me remind you that this has happened to virtually every party after their president has been in power for two years

um, no, it hasn't. specifically a wave this big hasn't happened in over 25 election cycles.

Keep in mind, fellow conservatives, that according to Nancy Pelosi, the wave of Republican gains was NOT a referendum on Obama, his policies, or how she ran Congress. It was a signal that the Obnama administration did not do enough, quick enough. She believes with all her heart the voters were pissed that we did not get MORE into the health care bill...MORE stimulus money... etc. etc. etc.

I hope she keeps insisting that until 2012. :)

and therefore pushes the party to run on exactly that platform :D

Back
Top Bottom