• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Republican state lawmaker says party is ‘enabling white supremacy’

roughdraft274

ThunderCougarFalconBird
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...09f75bfd97f_story.html?utm_term=.3ae7e611ae54

In a series of tweets written Sunday night in the wake of mass shootings in El Paso and Dayton, Ohio, that left 29 people dead, state Rep. John McCollister said it pained him to share that conclusion as a lifelong member of the Republican Party.

“I of course am not suggesting that all Republicans are white supremacists nor am I saying that the average Republican is even racist,” wrote McCollister, who represents an Omaha-area district. “What I am saying though is that the Republican Party is COMPLICIT to obvious racist and immoral activity inside our party.”

“We have a Republican president who continually stokes racist fears in his base,” he said in his tweets. “He calls certain countries ‘sh*tholes,’ tells women of color to ‘go back’ to where they came from and lies more than he tells the truth. We have Republican senators and representatives who look the other way and say nothing for fear that it will negatively affect their elections.”

“No more,” McCollister continued. “When the history books are written, I refuse to be someone who said nothing. The time is now for us Republicans to be honest with what is happening inside our party. We are better than this and I implore my Republican colleagues to stand up and do the right thing.”

More and more republicans will continue to share these views as Trump digs in deeper and gets worse and worse. I'm sure most of them already think these things in private but are scared to say it in public. Justin Amash has pretty much confirmed this. That won't be tenable much longer. Trump is going to continue to dial up the hatred going in to the election. Hopefully we have more significant numbers of republicans willing to call him out.

It’s taken way too long, imo.

Republican state lawmaker says party is ‘enabling white supremacy’

Captain Obvious to the rescue!

Good for him. Not that I expect any rush of others to join him, but with each passing day the pressure is growing to start confronting what's coming out of the whitehouse and considered by many to be beneath the role of a president. Myself included.

The folks leaving the republican party says it all in my opinion. These folks are stepping down because they don't want to be a part of the carnage this president is causing the GOP. They see him for what he is and want no more part of it. I wish more would speak out instead of just stepping aside.

The right as usual will try to say it's just trump haters. If it is, the group of haters is growing.

The stench surrounding the republican party at this point in time can't be ignored and the defections prove that point.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...09f75bfd97f_story.html?utm_term=.3ae7e611ae54

More and more republicans will continue to share these views as Trump digs in deeper and gets worse and worse. I'm sure most of them already think these things in private but are scared to say it in public. Justin Amash has pretty much confirmed this. That won't be tenable much longer. Trump is going to continue to dial up the hatred going in to the election. Hopefully we have more significant numbers of republicans willing to call him out.

He's right.

He's right.

Yeah, but the problem is the will to win will keep others in the GOP from being vocal about this issue. At the end of the day, the GOP was stuck with Trump because he had the support of many in that base; along with the independents who didn't like Clinton. Where they failed is being generally silent with the inappropriate remarks Trump has made.

Yeah, but the problem is the will to win will keep others in the GOP from being vocal about this issue. At the end of the day, the GOP was stuck with Trump because he had the support of many in that base; along with the independents who didn't like Clinton. Where they failed is being generally silent with the inappropriate remarks Trump has made.

I agree. I was a Republican since 1980 and left the party because of Trump and also because the Republican lawmakers are complicit in allowing Trump to say things without any push back. They own this. They made Trump the voice of the party. Now all they have left are the idiots who share their views. Decent people (i.e. me) are now gone.

I agree. I was a Republican since 1980 and left the party because of Trump and also because the Republican lawmakers are complicit in allowing Trump to say things without any push back. They own this. They made Trump the voice of the party. Now all they have left are the idiots who share their views. Decent people (i.e. me) are now gone.

It's a shame there hasn't even been a push by them to steer the president in a different direction in regards to rhetoric. Someone in another thread posted how Trump is a counter puncher, but the problem is not that but how he counter punches; often resorting to name calling and ad hominem attacks of anyone who critiques him or his ideas. There's clearly a very different idea of what a leader should be among people in this country. Some favor the crass, authoritative types like Trump while others prefer ones who are more measured in response because they're aware of their leadership status and its impact on political decorum.

Back
Top Bottom