• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Renewable Energy and Electric Cars Pressure Oil Economically as Well as Environmentally (1 Viewer)

Nice SUV, but I think Ford may be missing an opportunity for true beast of a vehicle.
Electric hub motors have incredible amounts of torque.
Elaphe Debuts New High-Torque In-Wheel Hub Motor

That is up to 147 HP per wheel!!! If you need to pull that big boat up the ramp, not an issue.
The fuel engine just runs the large generator to feed electricity to the monster!

Maybe I'll make my Camaro a hybrid, with 4 electric motors...

Nice SUV, but I think Ford may be missing an opportunity for true beast of a vehicle.
Electric hub motors have incredible amounts of torque.
Elaphe Debuts New High-Torque In-Wheel Hub Motor

That is up to 147 HP per wheel!!! If you need to pull that big boat up the ramp, not an issue.
The fuel engine just runs the large generator to feed electricity to the monster!

Car companies including Ford plan to release electric trucks the coming years.

10 Coolest Electric Trucks That Will Hit The Roads In The Next 5 Years

Car companies including Ford plan to release electric trucks the coming years.

It comes down to the definition of what a battery is! Is the definition constrained to just a simple pile,
or is it any energy storage device? A serial hybrid vehicle is an electric vehicle, the energy storage device
just happens to be liquid hydrocarbons.
It will be interesting to see what the range is on these new conventional battery electric trucks.

There is a reason that Trains use serial hybrid drives!

Yes, I know. With that old 60's technology, it wasn't as efficient per mass. However, with trains, a massive locomotive is preferred.

It comes down to the definition of what a battery is! Is the definition constrained to just a simple pile,
or is it any energy storage device? A serial hybrid vehicle is an electric vehicle, the energy storage device
It will be interesting to see what the range is on these new conventional battery electric trucks.

Change is coming since we continue to ignore the deniers

The Tesla Truck are planned to have a range over 500 miles while for example Rivian R1T are planned to have up to 400 miles range.

Tesla Cybertruck revealed: $39,900 starting price, up to 500 miles of range

Also the transition to electric vehicles are happening all across the world.

Amazon orders 100,000 electric trucks to fight climate change | Ars Technica

One in two car sales in Norway electric, while petrol and diesel decline 60 per cent | The Driven

Apple have set the goal to be fully carbon neutral by 2030.

"The company is aiming to achieve the goal by means including:

Low-carbon product design, using recycled materials where possible, and developing new techniques such as a carbon-free aluminium smelting process.

Use of renewable energy, including projects funded by and built for Apple directly, which in total provide 1GW of capacity to the company’s corporate operations.

Carbon removal, through forest planting in Colombia, China, Kenya and the US.

The chief executive, Tim Cook, said: “The innovations powering our environmental journey are not only good for the planet, they’ve helped us make our products more energy-efficient and bring new sources of clean energy online around the world."

Apple promises to become fully carbon-neutral by 2030 | Technology | The Guardian

That is one UGLY Truck! but a cool idea!
Consider that for the same weight of that 500 mile battery,
Analysis: Tesla Pickup Truck Battery Size, Range, & 0-60-MPH Time
That put our 200-kWh battery at 2490# and the total curb weight at 7640# for the Tesla pickup.
You could get a motor/generator with a small battery, and the fuel for 500 miles of range.
How about we try an example, here is a 22Kw Motor/generator that weighs 476 lbs.
https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200665216_200665216
Assuming the smaller battery is a normal Tesla battery at 1200 lbs,
that leaves 814 pounds for fuel, or about 135 gallons.
I wonder what the range would be with a capacity of 135 gallons?

That is one UGLY Truck! but a cool idea!
Consider that for the same weight of that 500 mile battery,
Analysis: Tesla Pickup Truck Battery Size, Range, & 0-60-MPH Time

You could get a motor/generator with a small battery, and the fuel for 500 miles of range.
How about we try an example, here is a 22Kw Motor/generator that weighs 476 lbs.
https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200665216_200665216
Assuming the smaller battery is a normal Tesla battery at 1200 lbs,
that leaves 814 pounds for fuel, or about 135 gallons.
I wonder what the range would be with a capacity of 135 gallons?

It is unnecessary to pay for a motor/generator and all the reparation and maintenance that can be required for those parts. That with today long range you and fast charging times you can charge the car during meal breaks during long trips.

Tesla Supercharger ramp hits milestone with 2,000 stations active worldwide

That the problem is more that electric cars get to big battery, weight and cost from unnecessary range anxiety.

It is unnecessary to pay for a motor/generator and all the reparation and maintenance that can be required for those parts. That with today long range you and fast charging times you can charge the car during meal breaks during long trips.

That the problem is more that electric cars get to big battery, weight and cost from unnecessary range anxiety.
It is not range anxiety, but very real range limitations.
I regularly take day trips between Houston and Austin, (Grandkids), it is about 400 miles round trip. We usually do that in about
12 to 13 hours. The Tesla Model S has a standard range of 348 miles, which means that I would have to find a supercharger along my route
and spend 60 to 90 minuets charging the battery. I fill up my tank with gasoline on my trip, but it takes about 5 minuets,
but I have dozens of choices along the routes to choose from. The locations of superchargers would eliminate, the shortest route.

And we go back to the USA safety cutoff point of 125 KVA. That next generation V3 would boasting 250 KW, double the time to 30 to 40 minutes for the USA, and that's probably the low end model. The higher capacity models would take even longer.

It is not range anxiety, but very real range limitations.
I regularly take day trips between Houston and Austin, (Grandkids), it is about 400 miles round trip. We usually do that in about
12 to 13 hours. The Tesla Model S has a standard range of 348 miles, which means that I would have to find a supercharger along my route
and spend 60 to 90 minuets charging the battery. I fill up my tank with gasoline on my trip, but it takes about 5 minuets,
but I have dozens of choices along the routes to choose from. The locations of superchargers would eliminate, the shortest route.

There are many option there some might suit your need. For example take a break during driving home there the time of charging is now 30-40 minutes for 80 percent and you might not need that much power to get home so you can do it more quickly or choose a slower charger if more convenient. That many charger are close to restaurant so you can have a meal break.

Your grandkids might also have a charger there they live that you can use.

Or you can find a parking lot with a slow chargers in Austin that you can use. So you park the car there and your grand kids come and pick you up and drop you of then it times to go home with their car and you then have enough power to get home.

Or you get out to eat with your grand kids or do something else and park you car at a charger station at that destination. Or you take an extra car so that you can park your car at a charger station and you can go with one of your grand kids in her/his car the last distance to your destination.

There this is also a map of super chargers for Tesla and there might be a lot of other charger that you can use.

supercharge.info

Also you are now seeing both a massive build out of charging station and also soon get charging times of 20 minutes or less. Also many people can save time because they can charge at home or at work for most of their daily trips instead of going to a gas stations.

Last edited:
There are many option there some might suit your need. For example take a break during driving home there the time of charging is now 30-40 minutes for 80 percent and you might not need that much power to get home so you can do it more quickly or choose a slower charger if more convenient. That many charger are close to restaurant so you can have a meal break.

Your grandkids might also have a charger there they live that you can use.

Or you can find a parking lot with a slow chargers in Austin that you can use. So you park the car there and your grand kids come and pick you up and drop you of then it times to go home with their car and you then have enough power to get home.

Or you get out to eat with your grand kids or do something else and park you car at a charger station at that destination. Or you take an extra car so that you can park your car at a charger station and you can go with one of your grand kids in her/his car the last distance to your destination.

There this is also a map of super chargers for Tesla and there might be a lot of other charger that you can use.

supercharge.info

Also you are now seeing both a massive build out of charging station and also soon get charging times of 20 minutes or less. Also many people can save time because they can charge at home or at work for most of their daily trips instead of going to a gas stations.

What you are missing is that you are now asking me to compromise my plans, and take a longer higher traffic route, because of vehicle selection.
What part of freedom could this possible impact?

What you are missing is that you are now asking me to compromise my plans, and take a longer higher traffic route, because of vehicle selection.
What part of freedom could this possible impact?

As as I said you have many options to choose from. That electric cars give more freedom because you can charge them for example at superchargers, at restaurants, at parking lots, at home and at work. You can also produce your own electricity instead of having to buy it being depend on buying oil from big oil companies. There the capacity of electric batteries are already over ten times the average daily commute. So household can save money buy also using their electric car batteries as energy storage.

Audi aims to integrate EVs into smart grids - Innovation Origins

Also after trillions of American tax dollars spend on intervention the Middle East is still far from stable and democratic. So you always have the risk of a new major conflict with spiking oil prices if you drive a fossil fuel car.

As as I said you have many options to choose from. That electric cars give more freedom because you can charge them for example at superchargers, at restaurants, at parking lots, at home and at work. You can also produce your own electricity instead of having to buy it being depend on buying oil from big oil companies. There the capacity of electric batteries are already over ten times the average daily commute. So household can save money buy also using their electric car batteries as energy storage.

Audi aims to integrate EVs into smart grids - Innovation Origins

Also after trillions of American tax dollars spend on intervention the Middle East is still far from stable and democratic. So you always have the risk of a new major conflict with spiking oil prices if you drive a fossil fuel car.
What you call "more choices" is actually a restriction on freedom, a willingness to accept less potential from your transportation.

What you call "more choices" is actually a restriction on freedom, a willingness to accept less potential from your transportation.

It's natural to feel skeptical of change even then it's have great benefits like for example electric cars. That's why it's so good with incentives like Norway's. Because it got early adopters interested in buying electric cars. There those adopters discovered the benefits and told their friends and also let their friends try their cars. So also their friends got electric cars and told more people about the cars so even more people starting to buy and so on. There it also lead to economies of scale and technological development so the benefits got even greater. So that almost half of new cars are pure electric in Norway.

Norway sets electric car record as battery autos least dented by Covid-19 crisis

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom