• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Removing the wrappers from corporate advocacy ads.

danarhea

Slayer of the DP Newsbot
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
While you can't make a silk purse from a sow's ear, Madison Avenue has never stopped trying, and has actually convinced many of us that the sow's ears they are offering us are actually the proverbial silk purses. However, with the fallout from the BP disaster now upon us, we are finally beginning to realize that, no matter of the nature of the commercials that corporations run (And BP ran some of the "greenest" ever), they exist for one purpose - To make money for it's shareholders, and virtually everything else is subservient to that purpose. If the bottom line is not what they are looking out for, then they have violated their own charters.

And the purpose of the high profile ad agencies is to lie. That's what many commercials are all about. Ad execs are paid liars, and damn good ones too. It all boils down to that.

With that in mind, let's peel back the wrappers of advertising that hide the truth behind what corporate advocacy ads are all about, and find out what's inside.

**DanaRhea peels**

Maytag has just recalled 1.7 million of its products.

Gee, I always thought that the Maytag repairman was the lonliest guy in the world.

**DanaRhea peels**

Drink responsibly, and the girls will love ya'.

Missing is the truth that the last thing a woman wants to do is go to bed with a man who just puked and slobbered all over himself.

**DanaRhea peels**

Cigarette companies are now telling you not to smoke.

On the other hand, they are putting chemicals in their products which deliver nicotine much more efficiently, thus making it much harder to quit.

** DanaRhea peels**

Nike - "Just do it", and otherwise focus on your self esteem. Meanwhile, please disregard the child labor and slave labor that goes into the making of their shoes. BTW, I wonder how much self esteem THEY have?

OK, now you get the idea. Feel free to post some more examples of corporate advocacy ads. There are a bunch of them out there.

Better yet, let's try a little experiment. Let's create our OWN corporate ads, right here at DP. I will go first.

CapitalOne: What's in your wallet?
Consumer: Your damn hand. Please remove it.

This ought to be loads of fun, but at the same time, very revealing, if you know what I mean. :mrgreen:

Peel away, folks. LOL.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom