• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Religious services in which languages have you attended?

• US-English

• English Englisch

• Scottish English

• Canadian English

• other kinds of English

• German

• French

• Spanish

• Italian

• others

Results are only viewable after voting.

Rumpel

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed

Unfortunately only 10 options can be listed.

So later I have to start another poll with another 10 options.

[Video]

Here is a Holy Mass in Spanish.

There are still a few Churches that never accepted Vatican II, and still say mass in latin.
We went to one since we have not heard it since we were children.
latin mass times
P.S. if you look one up and go, the churches that still do this are very traditional, and Women still need to ware a veil.

English, Hindi, Telugu, Bengali. I've seen religious services in other languages but never attended

There are still a few Churches that never accepted Vatican II, and still say mass in latin.
We went to one since we have not heard it since we were children.
latin mass times
P.S. if you look one up and go, the churches that still do this are very traditional, and Women still need to ware a veil.

Here is a Latin Mass in France :)

English, Hindi, Telugu, Bengali. I've seen religious services in other languages but never attended

I will include Hindi in my next poll, then. :)

Holy Mass in Cologne, Germany, on September 5th 2020 :)

3 voters so far.

And the only language without any votes is Canadian English.

No Canadian English?

Myself I have never been to Canada.

But I included Canada in this list, as I thought some of you may have been to Canada.

US-English and Latin

Other

I was raised a catholic in Holland. After I had become an Atheist I would still go to church sometimes. And I guess I even would today in similar circumstances, but I have not lived there now for well over 25 years.

Anyways, I must have been about 20 at the time I think when someone I loved passed away. She was like a grandmother to me. So I went to mass. It's a respect thing for me. I clearly remember that about half the mass was in Latin. The rest was obviously in Dutch.

Oops, I forget. In Thailand I have been to temples as well. And of course the Buddhist monks would talk in Thai.

And I went to a ceremony in Vietnam when my colleague passed away on the job and in this ceremony there was broken English and Vietnamese. A little bit strange experience. If I remember correctly it was not supposed to happen because the government does not support religion, but condones it most of the times. But the details are a little vague by now, sorry.

Joey

Canadian English​

.... has zero votes from 8.

Can that really be?

And I went to a ceremony in Vietnam when my colleague passed away on the job and in this ceremony there was broken English and Vietnamese. A little bit strange experience. If I remember correctly it was not supposed to happen because the government does not support religion, but condones it most of the times. But the details are a little vague by now, sorry.
I have also be to a Church Service in Vietnam :)

Canadian English​

.... has zero votes from 8.

Can that really be?

Perhaps the polling as phrased did not bring out all you thought it would.

Catholic Mass in Italian

3 voters so far.

And the only language without any votes is Canadian English.
Canadian and American English are too similar for separate categories. I would just call them English.

Other - I've heard Christmas mass in Cantonese in China.

Canadian and American English are too similar for separate categories. I would just call them English.
For me it was out of polite-ness to name Canadian English as a special category. :)

For me it was out of polite-ness to name Canadian English as a special category. :)
I think there's more variation within those two countries. So it's a bit of a can of worms.

I think there's more variation within those two countries.
Well - I then thought it might be worth a try.

I could also have included Austrian or Swiss German - but I thought not many of those are posting here.

Here is a Church Service in Low German. :)

Back
Top Bottom