• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Religion

Coming from the UK, I have noticed quite a large divide between the US and and us lot over the pond. Of course, our predominant religion is Christianity, albeit Islam is growing at an alarming rate. 49% of Brits now consider themselves atheist or non religious, 43% say they are Christian, whilst only 67000 actually go to church, that's barely 1% of the population. In the US 78% of the country claim to be Christians, and 62% of the population claim to be part of a congregation. Only 3.1% of the US public admit to being atheist, whilst 5% are agnostic. Of course, it's easy to argue the figures, but nobody can pretend the the US isn't a far more religious country than the UK. Fortunately for you, your religion will slow down the Islamic take over of the west, so well done for that.

I have always been aware that the US is more religious than the UK, but after reading the figures I am shocked by how much. From a personal standpoint I have it very strange that anyone can believe in a non proven mythical being, especially after we have disproven so much in the bible. I have a wide array of friends, and only one of those actually believes in God, and even he isn't particularly religious. I don't know anyone who attends church. However, I respect anyone who has a religion, and to some extent I am little jealous. Of course, my respect goes when somebody follows a religion that is not peaceful and preaches little else but hate and intolerance, and I think you may know which one I refer to. My question is, that although our two cultures are reasonably close, why is there this massive gap in religious belief ??

will slow down the Islamic take over of the west?:lamo What are you talking about? If an islam take over of the west was coming/happening (its not) Christianity wouldn't stop it.

next we (countries) arent really as much alike as you claim

lastly eventhough the majority here are "christian" (i myself am) the majority here are also NORMAL and religion is basically a non]issue for many of us. Its only the nutters and extremists (with or without religion) that it matters too.
Unfortunately media caters to that, big money caters to some of the religious nutters but they do not represent the US

Back
Top Bottom