• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Redistrubution of your social status

Would you change places with someone on welfare?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Windy

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
How would you like to give someone a chance to live like you?
How would you like a chance to live like them?
Its great on welfare; give it a go for two years of your life?
Do you want the executive life instead of living on welfare?
Would you like the opportunity to change places with people
in different circum stances? :confused:

If I wanted to live on welfare, I would've fudged my way to a GED, gotten a job at McD's, and used the change I get back from buying bubble gum with my food stamps to buy a few 40's and invite my homies over every friday to bump and grind in the livin room with future "baby's mamma"s

*Yes, I'm aware that many people on welfare use it properly, but I've seen just as many misuse it. I grew up in an area where teenage thugs would roll up to school in their benz, cut in the lunch line with their homies, then smile their diamons studded gold teeth at the lunch lady as they handed her their free lunch coupon from the government.

I resent the wealth redistribution from the government, and only support welfare and medical programs for children truely in need, and those people who are physically too disabled to get gainful employment.

Windy said:
How would you like to give someone a chance to live like you?
How would you like a chance to live like them?
Its great on welfare; give it a go for two years of your life?
Do you want the executive life instead of living on welfare?
Would you like the opportunity to change places with people
in different circum stances? :confused:

No offense to you, Windy...But I think its a bullshit question...

I am currently looking out of my back window at the projects...the same faces every day sitting on the stoop...no job...no schooling...the only thing they have more of is kids.

It not that they HAVE it easy; it's that they see there is no reason to leave the situation they are in.

Where they live behind me, they only have to pay their phone bill(no cable allowed, but that rule has been subverted very easily). They have to pay for food and clothing. They buy the food with food stamps given by the taxpayer. They have cell phones(I don't have a cell phone!) and cars that are worth more than mine. At the end of the month, they might have 10 bucks left.

Now let's say they get off of welfare and start working...Mortgage payments, day-care because they are at their job, travel expenses to and from work, buying their own food, clothes, appliances...paying for water, heat & electric, etc...At the end of the month, they might have 10 bucks left.

So where is the incentive to leave? You would THINK that it would be a matter of pride; welfare used to be a "scarlet letter" in society. An old boss of mine in 1990 said his parents had nine kids and both parents worked two jobs...They flat out REFUSED to go on welfare...they were too proud for handouts...That's not the scenario anymore.

People on welfare, just like almost every other group of people today, are portrayed as "victims"...they're put down by the "man". So instead of picking themselves up by the bootstraps and doing something positive, they say, "Why should I bother?...I'm not going to do any better anyway". And they'd lose that "victim" status.

Of course, I'm generalizing, but I think I got more of a grasp seeing as how I've lived less than 100 feet from welfare recipients for my whole life...

Also, I don't believe you're question is valid because there would be a change, most likely negatively, to live like you're on welfare for a couple of years compared to the way you live now. Sarcasticly, some would say that going on welfare would be a step up, but you know in reality, that's not the case. Wefare was created to HELP you get back on your feet, not as a way of life, as some use it now.

I'm not a big fan of Clinton, but I LOVE the welfare bill he signed...The people who I've seen for 25 years had FINALLY got no choice but to take that first step. Sometimes, you're never going to learn to swim until you get pushed into the pool.

This is a nonsense poll.........

Navy Pride said:
This is a nonsense poll.........

I agree its a nonsense poll Navy
I dont think I thought it through properly.
I have to admit that.
My inspiration was an idea that I heard not long ago.
The Idea was to let those at the bottom have a chance
of living a better lifestyle by exchanging jobs, homes,
and lifestyles with those more advantaged than themselves.
The more advantaged would then gain an insight how it
was for those on welfare and visa versa.
If I had explained this at the top of the poll I think it
would have made more sense.
My Apologies to you and others .
My aim was to create dialog of different opinions
not to form opinions in anyway

Windy said:
I agree its a nonsense poll Navy
I dont think I thought it through properly.
I have to admit that.
My inspiration was an idea that I heard not long ago.
The Idea was to let those at the bottom have a chance
of living a better lifestyle by exchanging jobs, homes,
and lifestyles with those more advantaged than themselves.
The more advantaged would then gain an insight how it
was for those on welfare and visa versa.
If I had explained this at the top of the poll I think it
would have made more sense.
My Apologies to you and others .
My aim was to create dialog of different opinions
not to form opinions in anyway
it would do no good. those who've already worked their way out of poverty, know what it is like. Those who are given better lifestyles wouldn't have a full appreciation for the work and experience one must go through to gain it.

It would be like sending an adult to kindergatern to see why kids throw tantrums, and giving a kid a house and a corporate job and expecting them to not only understand the magnatude of it, but also to have the fiscal and social intellect to maintain that with which they've never experienced.

Stherngntlmn said:
it would do no good. those who've already worked their way out of poverty, know what it is like. Those who are given better lifestyles wouldn't have a full appreciation for the work and experience one must go through to gain it.

It would be like sending an adult to kindergatern to see why kids throw tantrums, and giving a kid a house and a corporate job and expecting them to not only understand the magnatude of it, but also to have the fiscal and social intellect to maintain that with which they've never experienced.

I think you well may be right.
However I believe in Cuba they have a similar
compulsory scheme where everybody has to work
in the field's for so many weeks in the year.
I guess that may go part way to giving a better
understanding of social equality

Windy said:
I think you well may be right.
However I believe in Cuba they have a similar
compulsory scheme where everybody has to work
in the field's for so many weeks in the year.
I guess that may go part way to giving a better
understanding of social equality
That's communism. This country isn't built on that kind of "social equality". It's built on equality of opportunity. The government provides the same benefits and rights ragardless of race color or creed. Those that work hard and advance in private industry, are driven by the goal of providing better private opportunity for their family's next generation. Are saying you want to socialize the system and make the goals of those fathers that want to provide better support for their children invalid?

Stherngntlmn said:
That's communism. This country isn't built on that kind of "social equality". It's built on equality of opportunity. The government provides the same benefits and rights ragardless of race color or creed. Those that work hard and advance in private industry, are driven by the goal of providing better private opportunity for their family's next generation. Are saying you want to socialize the system and make the goals of those fathers that want to provide better support for their children invalid?

I am saying nothing..just putting ideas forward to evoke comments or ideas
Thanks for your thoughts
:smile:

Back
Top Bottom