• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Rabbi Joeseph Raksin and Michael Brown

SgtRock

Cancel Cancel Culture and Woke Supremacy
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
On August 9th Mike Brown was shot by officer Darren Wilson. Also on August 9th Orthodox Rabbi Joeseph Raksin was shot to death in the streets of North Miami Beach. He was on his way to synagogue that had recently had swastikas painted on it. I'll bet most of you never even heard about Rabbi Raksin. There weren't any protest, no looting, no rioting. No chant's of no justice no peace, no Jewish thugs in the streets setting fires to businesses. Not a word from the president or the attorney general. And not a word from so called civil rights activist like Al Sharpton or Jesse Jackson. Not much coverage or prejudgment by the media. No need for police in riot gear. I am posting this to expose the double standard as well as to demonstrate the reaction of two very different minority communities. Mike Brown and Joseph Raksin are minorities. Both of these minority groups have been persecuted throughout history and still are today to some extent. They have both suffered extreme prejudice, racial injustice, and horrible atrocities. There communities responded in completely different ways. One responded in a civilized way . And the other in an uncivilized way. Was Michael Browns death a hate crime? We do not know at this point but many people have already made up their minds that it was. What about Rabbi Raksin? Was his murder a hate crime. The Miami Beach police say it was a robbery gone wrong. How the hell did they reach that conclusion. Most people in the community believe he was killed because he was a Jew. But they are not in the streets protesting throwing rocks and bottles at police. And why hasn't the AG gone down to Miami Beach to console the family of Joseph Raksin? I blame the race baiters and the media for inflaming the situation in Ferguson. Please don't get me wrong. Both of these incidents are tragic. I just want people to understand that Michael Brown was not the only one who was killed on August 9th 2014.

Rabbi Joseph Raksin shot dead on way to Miami shul | Jewish Telegraphic Agency

On August 9th Mike Brown was shot by officer Darren Wilson. Also on August 9th Orthodox Rabbi Joeseph Raksin was shot to death in the streets of North Miami Beach. He was on his way to synagogue that had recently had swastikas painted on it. I'll bet most of you never even heard about Rabbi Raksin. There weren't any protest, no looting, no rioting. No chant's of no justice no peace, no Jewish thugs in the streets setting fires to businesses. Not a word from the president or the attorney general. And not a word from so called civil rights activist like Al Sharpton or Jesse Jackson. Not much coverage or prejudgment by the media. No need for police in riot gear. I am posting this to expose the double standard as well as to demonstrate the reaction of two very different minority communities. Mike Brown and Joseph Raksin are minorities. Both of these minority groups have been persecuted throughout history and still are today to some extent. They have both suffered extreme prejudice, racial injustice, and horrible atrocities. There communities responded in completely different ways. One responded in a civilized way . And the other in an uncivilized way. Was Michael Browns death a hate crime? We do not know at this point but many people have already made up their minds that it was. What about Rabbi Raksin? Was his murder a hate crime. The Miami Beach police say it was a robbery gone wrong. How the hell did they reach that conclusion. Most people in the community believe he was killed because he was a Jew. But they are not in the streets protesting throwing rocks and bottles at police. And why hasn't the AG gone down to Miami Beach to console the family of Joseph Raksin? I blame the race baiters and the media for inflaming the situation in Ferguson. Please don't get me wrong. Both of these incidents are tragic. I just want people to understand that Michael Brown was not the only one who was killed on August 9th 2014.

Very well done. I am going to have to dwell on this for a time, and reflect on that. I have lived in an area with a lot of blacks, Buffalo NY, and one of the highest concentrations of Jews, Montreal, and now here where there is so much of everything the lines blur and no one cares anymore. Canada has never had a race riot, we riot over important stuff - hockey.

But you make me think. Need to eat, will be back.

And thank you

People have been shot for more than a prayer bag but I cannot find a comfortable argument that supports the police claim. Saying "there is no evidence" followed by assurances not in evidence is as misleading as what the Ferguson cops have done. Saying there is "no evidence" dismisses it when it definitely needs looking into.

I also have to agree with the comments in the article, and yes I have seen Jewish men going to Schabad and no, they do not immediately leap to mind as a target for a robbery. That claim is ludicrous it was broad daylight and witnesses deny a scuffle.

All similar to the issues in Ferguson.

So why no riots?

Hmmm...I can only venture an opinion based on living among both peoples. It has to begin "In the beginning" in a theological observation. We begin of course with Exodus and the reason why Moses had to get his people the hell out of there. Persecution. We can look throughout the bloody and sometimes sordid affairs in the bible and find more persecution. We see it into the occupation by the Romans, the Diaspora and of course to modern times, Dachau and, for the Russian Jews, Siberia.

I will not say Jews are used to it, no one should become used to that kind of abuse. But there is a racial and religious acceptance; I've seen it on the faces of colleagues in Montreal during the 1973 war, fear not for ones self or even family but for a peoples, about an entire race becoming extinct. The words "it's happening again" all to familiar and frightening. I have been to Dachau, and while it is a tale for another thread, it stands there as a monument to an unspeakable horror against a race of people.

Blacks in the US, I would venture to say have nothing to relate to there. Blacks here would, those who are several generations Canadian came here through the famous Underground Railroad [I loved it in school in the US we all heard about this great underground railroad but when asked none of my teachers had any idea what happened to them when they got here.] They have a much different perspective.

I have lived here now since 1967. I could no more speak for American blacks than I could walk to the moon. we really don't have colour barriers here. There may be racism, usually against Chinese or Indians so I cannot relate. What I do know that when we were lined up, shoulder to shoulder facing fixed bayonets demanding some CHANGE MAN, there was no colour barrier. We were asking why so few women could get into law school, we won. We were asking why mostly black kids got sent to Vietnam. we won. We were asking why there were no black football quarterbacks or astronauts. I'd say we won there too.

And there, my friend is where I offer an explanation as to why no hysterical outcry over this good man of God. I do not get the feeling, in talking to American blacks, that they feel they have won anything, even though they have a black in the White House. I do not get the impression that with most blacks they believe they are any further ahead. Certainly they have made great gains, light years compared to Jews, but the stats do not bear that out, most men in prison are black and not because they "are that way."

The sad truth is it is fashionable to be part of the black cause. Run up the flag for a defense fund and you'll get $ from all sectors, black, white, Christians of all colour. Launch one for a Jewish kid and 95% of the contributions will be from Jews.

Now why is that?

Some of the young black men at the protests in Ferguson had t shirts that read "Stop Killing Us". That made me think about who is killing blacks in America. There are literally thousands of blacks killed in America each year. Over 93% of them are killed by other blacks. So maybe they need t shirts that read "Stop Killing Each Other"

Last edited:

Interesting. No, I didn't hear a word about it on the news. From all appearances, Michael Brown was the only American who died on that day.

The Miami Beach police say it was a robbery gone wrong. How the hell did they reach that conclusion

I read the article and I don't know how they reached that conclusion either, but that's par for the course.

On to what I think is the question...why didn't the Jews riot? I'll double down on that question.

In NH a couple of years back, a Manchester NH police sergeant named Stephen CoCo was returning home drunk from a party in his Manchester PD issued car. In his neighborhood, he hit 2 kids walking on the side of snowy road, and fled the scene. He tried to deny it was him but the evidence was strong. He was arrested, and initially charged with minor crimes. The community cried out, no rioting or looting, and then he was charged with felonies. He was tried and convicted, and sentenced to a year in jail. Just recently the jail system released him after only 2 months. Again an outcry - again no looting or rioting - and he was sent back to jail. The fathers of the 2 boys who were both badly hurt CALMLY and persistently led the outcries which went all the way to our governor.

What does this all mean? I guess it depends on the makeup of the community when it comes to "protests". In Bedford NH, where Stephen CoCo resides, the citizens acted like adults. In Ferguson, they didn't. It looks like the community in Florida acted like adults too. I wonder if the message is that acting like adults doesn't win you points anymore.

Interesting perspective FAL. However I don't believe Jews are used to it. I think that their faith gives them strength to deal with these things. The godless fatherless thugs that grew up without discipline or faith as a foundation were in the streets of Ferguson because they were raised in this thug culture. A violent culture that does not recognize the difference between right and wrong. A culture that has no respect for authority or human life. A culture that teaches it's youth "I'm gonna get what's mine" even if that means stealing, robbing, or killing to get it. Who is to blame? I think it starts with the FDR new deal. Social programs that resulted in generations of children being born out of wedlock. Children without fathers in the home all to often end up on the wrong side of the law. Kids with to much time on their hands without a foundation in family and faith end up on the streets angry at the man. Looting, rioting, and burning their own neighborhoods.

Very well done. I am going to have to dwell on this for a time, and reflect on that. I have lived in an area with a lot of blacks, Buffalo NY, and one of the highest concentrations of Jews, Montreal, and now here where there is so much of everything the lines blur and no one cares anymore. Canada has never had a race riot, we riot over important stuff - hockey.

But you make me think. Need to eat, will be back.

And thank you

I find your statement about hockey a little bit interesting.

No matter how civilized we think we are the potential for a good old fashioned mob riot seems merely a few minutes away. Europeans sometimes adopt an elitist attitude when they see riots in America and then some of them break out in a riot over a soccer game.

Several years ago students at a respectable university near my home began some significant rioting and looting in response to bars and night clubs closing an hour early due to the daylight savings time change.

Asking why some people riot and for what reason seems to be a loaded question however as when islikely to be accused of racism just for asking

Before someone says that I would let children starve. No I would not. I do believe they should have allowed families with working fathers who were struggling to fee do their families obtain nutritional assistance. They way it was done encouraged women to have children without a father in the home. This has resulted in generations of kids growing up without a fathers discipline and a fathers example.

Pretty sure a few thousands people around the world got shot on August 9th. A few hundred in Syria. A few hundred in Iraq. A few dozen in gaza. A few thousand all over africa... a few in ukraine... a few in europe overall... a few in afghanistan... etc.

Pretty sure a few thousands people around the world got shot on August 9th. A few hundred in Syria. A few hundred in Iraq. A few dozen in gaza. A few thousand all over africa... a few in ukraine... a few in europe overall... a few in afghanistan... etc.

Is your point that Mike Brown being shot and killed is insignificant?

Is your point that Mike Brown being shot and killed is insignificant?

Well, it was a stab at you saying this in your OP:
Both of these incidents are tragic. I just want people to understand that Michael Brown was not the only one who was killed on August 9th 2014.
A statement which I found severely lacking in scope. I mean, how do you know that other people weren't shot in the USA on the 9th? Maybe some people who weren't discovered as being dead, or maybe people who were shot and didn't make it past the local paper.

But since you brought the discussion up, yes both him and that rabbi don't matter. As well as the rest of the people who died in syria, iraq, ukraine or all over the world. I mean, obviously they may matter to some people in some place, they had lives and families and friends, and they mattered to those people, but for me, you, the whole wide world, they don't matter. They're just some people to which something happened. They're not important. What is important are subjects like the police militarization, or the conflict in iraq and syria and ukraine, or maybe if there were a bunch of people being killed in Honduras, the discussion is the insane crime rate in honduras. The people who died should be, for the people who are interested in actually discussing worthwhile things, an avenue into a larger discussion.

An unnecessary cop killing clothed in BS is still an unnecessary cop killing.

I find your statement about hockey a little bit interesting.

No matter how civilized we think we are the potential for a good old fashioned mob riot seems merely a few minutes away. Europeans sometimes adopt an elitist attitude when they see riots in America and then some of them break out in a riot over a soccer game.

Several years ago students at a respectable university near my home began some significant rioting and looting in response to bars and night clubs closing an hour early due to the daylight savings time change.

Asking why some people riot and for what reason seems to be a loaded question however as when islikely to be accused of racism just for asking

I guess you're suggesting riots are inevitable, and having covered them as a journalist for many years, I would find it hard to disagree.

First, perspective. Canada has had two hockey riots in its history. On in 1954 when Rocket Richard was suspended for knocking a guy out, and here, in Vancouver, where the riot was Seinfeld inspired - it was about nothing. Every one of the participants was young, wealthy and privileged - so my joke was just that.

At the heart of the Euro backlash, and Canada's detached horror, is that in the US they are so ubiquitous and almost always about race. Watts has burned how many times?

And "....seems to be a loaded question however as when islikely to be accused of racism just for asking."

Ah yes, I have been called a racist many, many times in recent years. Once for saying that Barrack Obama had not enough experience to handle the cut and thrust of DC politics. That, to an Obama supporter was racism.

So now, I play the Polish card. I am half Polish and when people call me racist I simply ask if they know and Polish jokes...they always do.

Racism, like sexist, is the easiest charge to make. You need no evidence whatsoever and there is no rebuttal....what can one say "no I'm not, I have friends who are...."?

I like being called a racist, I often copy those posts and send them to my friends...they get a good laugh out of it, but it displays the growing void between blacks and whites in America.

most men in prison are black and not because they "are that way."

Blacks are actually convicted at a lower rate than whites. That they commit 7-8 times more violent crime, is undeniable. There are disproportionately more blacks in jail, simply because there are more black criminals.

Ferguson and Zimmerman before, demonstrate how little racism is left in America. Despite desperate attempts to ferret out a single case of unprovoked white on black violence, not a single case can be found.

Blacks have the justice system biased in their favor, preferences at universities and the liberal media can't find a single case of violent racism, despite salivating and crying wolf for over a decade. Face it, racism against blacks is over. No excuses left.

I recommend blacks join the Republican party. Republican's love freedom and equality and Republican's are a law-abiding lot. Want fewer black criminals? Join the Republican's. Other than liberals falsely convicting Republican's for political reasons, Republican's rarely go to jail, because they rarely commit crimes.

Which came first, the chicken or the egg?

The egg obviously came first and here's why: At some point in evolution there was a non-chicken that laid the egg that became the first chicken. The egg's DNA was determined at fertilization and not at hatching. Therefore, the egg was converted to a chicken egg at fertilization. The egg of a non-chicken became a chicken egg. An egg with the DNA of a chicken. And that non-chicken incubated and raised the first chicken as its own. That is why the egg came first.

This is so simple, one wonders why it's still even considered a paradox in the lexicon? One can understand the confusion before DNA was understood, but not now that virtually everyone understands the basic principle?

The egg obviously came first and here's why: At some point in evolution there was a non-chicken that laid the egg that became the first chicken. The egg's DNA was determined at fertilization and not at hatching. Therefore, the egg was converted to a chicken egg at fertilization. The egg of a non-chicken became a chicken egg. An egg with the DNA of a chicken. And that non-chicken incubated and raised the first chicken as its own. That is why the egg came first.

This is so simple, one wonders why it's still even considered a paradox in the lexicon? One can understand the confusion before DNA was understood, but not now that virtually everyone understands the basic principle?

So you thought this was a serious question? :doh

I guess you're suggesting riots are inevitable, and having covered them as a journalist for many years, I would find it hard to disagree.

First, perspective. Canada has had two hockey riots in its history. On in 1954 when Rocket Richard was suspended for knocking a guy out, and here, in Vancouver, where the riot was Seinfeld inspired - it was about nothing. Every one of the participants was young, wealthy and privileged - so my joke was just that.

At the heart of the Euro backlash, and Canada's detached horror, is that in the US they are so ubiquitous and almost always about race. Watts has burned how many times?

And "....seems to be a loaded question however as when islikely to be accused of racism just for asking."

Ah yes, I have been called a racist many, many times in recent years. Once for saying that Barrack Obama had not enough experience to handle the cut and thrust of DC politics. That, to an Obama supporter was racism.

So now, I play the Polish card. I am half Polish and when people call me racist I simply ask if they know and Polish jokes...they always do.

Racism, like sexist, is the easiest charge to make. You need no evidence whatsoever and there is no rebuttal....what can one say "no I'm not, I have friends who are...."?

I like being called a racist, I often copy those posts and send them to my friends...they get a good laugh out of it, but it displays the growing void between blacks and whites in America.

I was actually suggesting that if one identifies with a particular group or IS identified by others as part of a group ( such as a race subculture whatever ) then no one is above the charge of having incidents of rioting in the groups past.

But yes they are fairly inevitable.

You are also correct that charges of racism or homophobia or whatever are far too easily made without any evidence and tend to be used to shut down or discourage open discussion of many broad issues.

I have lived both in areas that consisted of Jews as well as blacks. I have actually dated and got serious with two black girls. I grew up in a predominately Jewish community, a community that was quite frankly very beautiful. A beautiful park, a gorgeous centralized hub for businesses, and great neighborhoods and homes. Finally, because they could afford high taxes, combined with the fact they see the importance of education, they have flooded the school district with money. The schools had perfect facilities that incorporated and embraced technology. They could afford great teachers. In fact, one of the best teachers I ever had came from another school district. From what it sounded, is my school literally bought that teacher over. From seeing their cars, I could tell the teachers of this school district was valued and paid well. Pretty much all the teachers valued our learning and preparing us for the real world, and the result was such a good education.

The black community feels ostracized from everyone else - they feel isolated. They feel there is racism everywhere, which in my opinion there is. However, I put most of the responsibility not on white people, but black people. Their actions breed racism. They actually worship a type of music that glorifies crime and violence. There are reasons why that is there, but frankly that doesn't help their isolated feeling. They blame most of their short comings to the surrounding communities, which in turn alleviates responsibility on themselves. This explains why there is no progress for this group of people and their behavior. There is a catch though. They detest white people to the point they don't want to assimilate to their ways because of slavery. So, there is probably a desire to not change, to be different. Look at ebonics, that is a testament to that. Look at rap. If you even look at their fashion statements, they want to make a point that, "we are not white; we are not a slave." (That is why there is large amounts of jewelry as well) Which means they may never assimilate into surrounding culture. Race is a much more central component to a black person's thinking. When I go out, I don't think about different race of people. But when a black person goes out, they are constantly comparing behaviors to race. Calling race an obsession is too strong of a word, but a part of the meaning of that word is what I am going for.

In essence, it is all everyone elses fault for their problems, not themselves. So we have these prolonged problems that exist today. They want to be different, they want to be their own culture because of the slavery and discrimination in the past.

Because a lot of blacks are in poverty, they are bad with money. Scarcity actually makes people spend their money more impulsively. Because Jews tend to be good with their money, they are more affluent.

I hope this sheds light onto the issue.

Well, it was a stab at you saying this in your OP:

A statement which I found severely lacking in scope. I mean, how do you know that other people weren't shot in the USA on the 9th? Maybe some people who weren't discovered as being dead, or maybe people who were shot and didn't make it past the local paper.

But since you brought the discussion up, yes both him and that rabbi don't matter. As well as the rest of the people who died in syria, iraq, ukraine or all over the world. I mean, obviously they may matter to some people in some place, they had lives and families and friends, and they mattered to those people, but for me, you, the whole wide world, they don't matter. They're just some people to which something happened. They're not important. What is important are subjects like the police militarization, or the conflict in iraq and syria and ukraine, or maybe if there were a bunch of people being killed in Honduras, the discussion is the insane crime rate in honduras. The people who died should be, for the people who are interested in actually discussing worthwhile things, an avenue into a larger discussion.

Cold...........

Cold...........

It's not cold, it's just how things are.

Micheal brown, or rabbi raksin, are irrelevant. Like you, me and everyone else on this forum. Our passing, in whichever manner, would at most cause a ripple in the lives of those close to us and may affect those that knew us and not much further. Maybe if one is blessed with the chance of dying in a meaningful manner, a sacrifice worth making, then said person deserves our respect and to recognized by the public as someone worthwhile. It's how we, society, acknowledge that there is something greater than the individual and it is worth giving your life for. Sacrifice like putting yourself in harms way to save kids, or to warn others about danger, or rescue someone who is abused, etc. Meaningful sacrifice.

Micheal brown didn't sacrifice himself for anything. He just happened to get shot by the police. He doesn't matter to nobody except those that knew him, and to make it seem like it's about him is disrespectful to the hundreds that die every day, some through really no fault of their own (not implying micheal brown was at fault, I think he was just in a bad place in a bad time and a bad cop, but micheal brown was a free person to do as he pleased, there many who don't have that luxury and are forced to eat the bullet or the bomb that drops on them).

And the rabbi as well. He just happened to be at the wrong place in the wrong period of time. Nothing worth screaming about or getting in a uppity about. It's just 1 more person who, like the rest of us, plays the russian roulette of life every day.

Back
Top Bottom