• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Question About Widescreen LCD Monitors

Southern Belle

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
My Widescreen monitor is a 19'' ViewSonic that I've had a couple years. It only works at it's Native Resolution 1440x900, and if you take it off that, it's nasty looking. :( Are all Widescreens that way or is there a brand that lets you have different Resolutions? It's a problem when playing games without that res, plus it's a little smaller than I care for, but that is fixable. But I'd just like to know before I ever buy another Widescreen Monitor.

Most wide screens have an optimal resolution, this is due to the way that they are constructed.

This correct they ALL have an optimal resolution. It was the resolution they were designed for. If you take it off that, then the processor in the monitor must work harder to interpelate the information... which means lag.... which means it would be crappy for a 1st person shooter or other games that must refresh very quickly. Also... large resolutions work your graphics card more. I think the best size for a LCD monitor is 21". Go to Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more! and see what they have. Stay away from TigerDirect because I hear they are in deep financial trouble.

There are widescreen CRT monitors that would eliminate the problem, but I doubt you'd think their advantages outweigh their drawbacks.

You could go for a lower resolution when playing games, that way it won't look funny but it will be a smaller screen. A 1280x800 resolution is probably recognized by games. I guess you would set the option in the monitor settings menu. Also, if you do buy a new lcd screen, try to find a more commonly used resolution, I think like 1600x900 or 1920x1080. They make different resolutions but the less commonly used ones would make it harder gaming and such.

Last edited:
There are widescreen CRT monitors that would eliminate the problem, but I doubt you'd think their advantages outweigh their drawbacks.

They make those? Wow, I didn't know that.

You could go for a lower resolution when playing games, that way it won't look funny but it will be a smaller screen. A 1280x800 resolution is probably recognized by games. I guess you would set the option in the monitor settings menu. Also, if you do buy a new lcd screen, try to find a more commonly used resolution, I think like 1600x900 or 1920x1080. They make different resolutions but the less commonly used ones would make it harder gaming and such.

Yeah, when I got it, I didn't know anything about LCD monitors. (still don't) Didn't know 1440x900 was abnormal. I think it's probably that specific monitor, but it just looks terrible on any other res, and it won't go any higher.

You can also make sure the monitor you are buying has a 16:9 aspect ratio. That way you don't have to remember the resolutions. You can just buy the size you want and not worry about resolutions.

Your current monitor is abnormal 16:10.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom