• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Pseudo-demand, Pseudo-supply

Yes. How you invest your time is part of the economy, and the reasons why you choose to invest your time in the way that you do is one of the major reasons for the study of economics.

Maybe you can find someone to pay you for your time in Sweden...

http://www.debatepolitics.com/sex-and-sexuality/173985-public-masterbation.html

Ok if that is how you're defining economics, then EVERYTHING is economics, it's meaningless, I'm talking here what people mean when they say economics.

Ok if that is how you're defining economics, then EVERYTHING is economics, it's meaningless, I'm talking here what people mean when they say economics.

Yes. For your edification, the definition of economics is: "the science that deals with the production, distribution, and consumption of goods and services, or the material welfare of humankind. " If you choose to provide a service to yourself, you are engaged in production, distribution and consumption of a service. You could produce and distribute that same service to others, if you chose. That does not make economics meaningless. On the contrary, if you ignore the choices and motivations of people in the science of economics, you cause it to be meaningless.

Ok since you're being anal in redifining what is and what is not part of the economy, (aparently me jacking off is part of the economy too right), I'll say it's not part of the "market" i.e. the thing that everyone means when they say "the economy."

You can go into business. You may need to run your brothel "hands on" at first! :D

Ok since you're being anal in redifining what is and what is not part of the economy, (aparently me jacking off is part of the economy too right), I'll say it's not part of the "market" i.e. the thing that everyone means when they say "the economy."

LOL. Where do you draw the line? If you stream your jacking off sessions on the internet...then how many people have to view (demand) your performance (product)...in order for you to acknowledge that how you're allocating your limited resources is now part of the market?

Yes. For your edification, the definition of economics is: "the science that deals with the production, distribution, and consumption of goods and services, or the material welfare of humankind. " If you choose to provide a service to yourself, you are engaged in production, distribution and consumption of a service. You could produce and distribute that same service to others, if you chose. That does not make economics meaningless. On the contrary, if you ignore the choices and motivations of people in the science of economics, you cause it to be meaningless.

So what action can one person do that IS'NT economics?

LOL. Where do you draw the line? If you stream your jacking off sessions on the internet...then how many people have to view (demand) your performance (product)...in order for you to acknowledge that how you're allocating your limited resources is now part of the market?

When someone is in the market, when a transaction is made, when distribution or production for the market is made, then it's economics, in the sense that EVERYONE MEANS when they say economics.

So what action can one person do that IS'NT economics?

Most things are, if for no other reason than whatever it is you're doing could be more or less productive than the things you chose not to do. Almost all behavior impacts the economy in one way or another.

When someone is in the market, when a transaction is made, when distribution or production for the market is made, then it's economics, in the sense that EVERYONE MEANS when they say economics.

When you jack off, you're transacting with yourself. You're supplying what you demand. You're providing utility for one consumer...yourself. You evaluated the other uses of your limited resources (your body, your time, etc.) and determined that jacking off would provide you with the most value...at that specific point in time.

Same thing with baking a cupcake. You can bake one cupcake for yourself. You can back two cupcakes...one for yourself and one for your neighbor. You can bake cupcakes for the entire neighborhood...and for the entire country...and for the entire world. It doesn't matter how many people you bake cupcakes for...as long as you're using resources...then it's within the scope of economics.

Most things are, if for no other reason than whatever it is you're doing could be more or less productive than the things you chose not to do. Almost all behavior impacts the economy in one way or another.

OK then, again we have a semantics issue ... I'm talking about what people mean when they say economics ....

When you jack off, you're transacting with yourself. You're supplying what you demand. You're providing utility for one consumer...yourself. You evaluated the other uses of your limited resources (your body, your time, etc.) and determined that jacking off would provide you with the most value...at that specific point in time.

Same thing with baking a cupcake. You can bake one cupcake for yourself. You can back two cupcakes...one for yourself and one for your neighbor. You can bake cupcakes for the entire neighborhood...and for the entire country...and for the entire world. It doesn't matter how many people you bake cupcakes for...as long as you're using resources...then it's within the scope of economics.

Your not transacting with yourself ... your ACTING .... your doing action .... transaction implies 2 or more parties.

Your not transacting with yourself ... your ACTING .... your doing action .... transaction implies 2 or more parties.

Where would you plot your action on this graph?

OK then, again we have a semantics issue ... I'm talking about what people mean when they say economics ....

You're talking about what you mean when you say "economics", which isn't economics, which explains why you believe what you believe about the economy. My decisions regarding buying/selling/consuming/producing/saving/investing/spending impact the economy regardless whether I decide to or not to. This isn't a difficult concept. It should be rather obvious to you...

You're talking about what you mean when you say "economics", which isn't economics, which explains why you believe what you believe about the economy. My decisions regarding buying/selling/consuming/producing/saving/investing/spending impact the economy regardless whether I decide to or not to. This isn't a difficult concept. It should be rather obvious to you...

Most people don't consider making cupcakes for yourself, or jacking off, or doing handstands outside ... "economic activity!"

Most people don't consider making cupcakes for yourself, or jacking off, or doing handstands outside ... "economic activity!"

Most people don't view time as a resource to be invested, which is also why most people are poor.

Back
Top Bottom