• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Proselytizing Christian Meets Maker

Do you believe in a hell, and if so, what is your concept of hell ?

I do not believe in Hell at all. Many Jews think about there being a Gehenna, which is similar to t purgatory (in fact, the concept I believe was very much influenced by it. I figure if there is an afterlife, I'll find out soon enough if I get there.. if not, I won't know anything anyway.

I do not believe in Hell at all. Many Jews think about there being a Gehenna, which is similar to t purgatory (in fact, the concept I believe was very much influenced by it. I figure if there is an afterlife, I'll find out soon enough if I get there.. if not, I won't know anything anyway.

I was just doing a little research about that. Seems to be conflicting views, but ,granted it was a quick study...As a side note: My paternal grandfather ( last name Amberg ) was a Nazi concentration camp survivor...died when I was about 3 as I recall. It is my understanding that 'Jewishness' comes thru the maternal side, but I was raised in 3 different 'flavors' of Christianity...So not really sure how or why that all played out...Anyway, thx for the info, and have a nice night.

One last question Ramoss...Since ( I presume ) you don't 'accept Jesus Christ " as you savior, do mainstream Christians think you are going to their hell, or is that a question I should ask a Jesus believing Christian?

One last question Ramoss...Since ( I presume ) you don't 'accept Jesus Christ " as you savior, do mainstream Christians think you are going to their hell, or is that a question I should ask a Jesus believing Christian?

That's something you can ask them. I have been told I am by some, others I haven't. IT doesn't matter, because I don't believe them anyway

That's something you can ask them. I have been told I am by some, others I haven't. IT doesn't matter, because I don't believe them anyway

I may just start a thread and do that. I never understood why Jews are considered to be God's chosen people, yet some Christians would profess some of them are going to the Christian hell thingy.

I was smiling as I typed that as I recalled Edward P.J. Corbett's (Classical Rhetoric for the Modern Student, a "bible") example of equivocation:

All men have hearts.

All celery have hearts.

My mom always saved the "heart" of an uncooked cabbage and ate it after salting. And she did call it the "heart."

Seems the dead missionary is more celery than man...

The"law of the land": the land in question is India. The Andaman and Nicobar islands are a province of India. And together comprise a constituency of the Indian parliament. Under Indian law the penalty for landing on the islands is not death - it would be harsh if it was but it isn't
The Sentinelese are not bound by Indian law, they have their own set of " laws" they adhere too. One of those laws is any foreigner trespassing onto their island will be put to death. Thats what I meant by "law of the land".

None of the murderers will be prosecuted by the Indian government because thats also the law of the Indian land, not too interfere with their island

I may just start a thread and do that. I never understood why Jews are considered to be God's chosen people, yet some Christians would profess some of them are going to the Christian hell thingy.

Hey, LM, I believe the Jewish people have the exact same chance for salvation that any one of us does...Paul stated...

"There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor freeman, there is neither male nor female, for you are all one in union with Christ Jesus. Moreover, if you belong to Christ, you are really Abraham’s offspring, heirs with reference to a promise." Galatians 3:28,29

Salvation depends on exercising faith in Jesus Christ, no matter who you are...those who do not, will go to the grave, as everyone does who dies...only Jehovah has the power to resurrect or not in the last day...He will judge their heart condition, no human can...

Hey, LM, I believe the Jewish people have the exact same chance for salvation that any one of us does...Paul stated...

"There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor freeman, there is neither male nor female, for you are all one in union with Christ Jesus. Moreover, if you belong to Christ, you are really Abraham’s offspring, heirs with reference to a promise." Galatians 3:28,29

Salvation depends on exercising faith in Jesus Christ, no matter who you are...those who do not, will go to the grave, as everyone does who dies...only Jehovah has the power to resurrect or not in the last day...He will judge their heart condition, no human can...
Sorry, but this is complete nonsense

Wait, are you saying there's such as thing as a non-Jesus believing Christian ?

Wouldn't like be like a non-Buddha believing Buddhist ?
https://secularbuddhism.org/2012/07/09/what-is-a-secular-buddhist-and-what-do-they-believe/
First, that’s not the same thing. No, you can’t be a “Christian” and not accept Jesus existed. OTOH, you can be a Christian who doesn’t accept the divinity of Jesus or the Trinity. There were many like that in early Christianity and still are. A major issue is that most modern Christian beliefs are drawn from the Holy Bible; a book that was formed out of dozens, if not hundreds, by a group of men hundreds of years after the crucifixion. Not all Christians use the same canonized Bible. The words of Jesus have been edited, although I think the four Gospels come closest to actual quotes. Most of Christianity isn’t based upon the words of Jesus but upon the words of followers such as Peter.

Second, likewise, there were those who took the philosophy of life from Siddhartha Gautama and turned them into a religion. There are several branches with Theravada being the largest and Tibetan being, IMO, the weirdest. The most secular is Zen. Even the link states “secular Buddhism” cant be nailed down. There are spiritual components that don’t require believing in bodhavistas or reincarnation and there are those who are strictly secular but accept Buddhist philosophy of how to live a good life.

First, that’s not the same thing. No, you can’t be a “Christian” and not accept Jesus existed. OTOH, you can be a Christian who doesn’t accept the divinity of Jesus or the Trinity. There were many like that in early Christianity and still are. A major issue is that most modern Christian beliefs are drawn from the Holy Bible; a book that was formed out of dozens, if not hundreds, by a group of men hundreds of years after the crucifixion. Not all Christians use the same canonized Bible. The words of Jesus have been edited, although I think the four Gospels come closest to actual quotes. Most of Christianity isn’t based upon the words of Jesus but upon the words of followers such as Peter.

Second, likewise, there were those who took the philosophy of life from Siddhartha Gautama and turned them into a religion. There are several branches with Theravada being the largest and Tibetan being, IMO, the weirdest. The most secular is Zen. Even the link states “secular Buddhism” cant be nailed down. There are spiritual components that don’t require believing in bodhavistas or reincarnation and there are those who are strictly secular but accept Buddhist philosophy of how to live a good life.

LOL...some would beg to differ on that even though it is true..I am one of many who does not believe the trinity but I do believe Jesus is divine...

Back
Top Bottom