• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

President Bush hits a home run.

Trajan Octavian Titus said:
How is shouting the retarted things they shout peaceful? Do you think it's right that people should have to speak over these jack asses? What about the person who's speaking rights?

from my post earlier....

Yep, they have rights.... but as neo-con christian righties like to tell me when it comes to issues of secularism.... The majority of the people there don't want to hear them... so the majority wins ...... And the others don't have a say in it, and if they do... they are just complaining and bitching........ Am I right?????

Everyone likes to tell me that the majority of Americans are christians, so religious symbols should remain in our courthouses and pledge and our schools.......

So the same thing can apply here.

They also both apply to the 1st amendment... odd....

No one expects to change the monds of people that hate this president but judging by his approval rating which you libs always cite when its going down its changing the mind of some reasonable thinking people who don't have your hatred for him......

The democrats and Bush are both changing the minds of the idiots who changes their political affiliations as quick as they change their underwear. And it is right you shouldn't expect to change anyones mind other then those people because real thinkers know what Bush is trying to do.

Caine said:
from my post earlier....

Yep, they have rights.... but as neo-con christian righties like to tell me when it comes to issues of secularism.... The majority of the people there don't want to hear them... so the majority wins ...... And the others don't have a say in it, and if they do... they are just complaining and bitching........ Am I right?????

First off I don't even know what that meant.

Second I'm agnostic so that means what to me?

Caine said:
Everyone likes to tell me that the majority of Americans are christians, so religious symbols should remain in our courthouses and pledge and our schools.......

So the same thing can apply here.

They also both apply to the 1st amendment... odd....

Here's what liberals think about free speech, they're all for it as long as it's in lock step with their opinions:

Quote from liberal sponsored bill S. 333 concerning the 'fairness' doctrine:

A broadcast licensee shall afford reasonable opportunity for the discussion of conflicting views on issues of public importance.

now I'll refer you to the 1st amendment:

Amendment I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

The Radio Act of 1927 ensures that anyone wanting to communicate over the public airwaves has got to recieve a government permit.

FCC summarized version of the Fairness Doctrine which was adobted by the FCC in 1949:

The fairness doctrine as developed by the commission imposes upon broadcasters a two pronged obligation. Broadcast licensees are required to provide coverage of vitally important controversial issues of interest in the community served by the licensee and to provide a reasonable opportunity for the presentation of contrasting viewpoints on such issues.

what this does is place the power of free speech over the airwaves into the hands of three government officials appointed by the president, confirmed by the senate, and given annual operating budgets by the congress.

Bill Ruder assistant secretary of commerce during the Kennedy administration:

"Our strategy was to use the Fairness Doctrine to challenge and harass right-wing broadcasters and hope that the challenges would be so costly to them that they would be inhibited and decide it was to expensive to continue."

"The fairness doctrine was in the back of everyone's mind each time they thought about covering a controversial issue or taking an editorial stand." - David Barlett president of the radio-t.v. news directors association.

Here's what liberals think about free speech, they're all for it as long as it's in lock step with their opinions:

Quote from liberal sponsored bill S. 333 concerning the 'fairness' doctrine:

A broadcast licensee shall afford reasonable opportunity for the discussion of conflicting views on issues of public importance.

now I'll refer you to the 1st amendment:

Amendment I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

The Radio Act of 1927 ensures that anyone wanting to communicate over the public airwaves has got to recieve a government permit.

FCC summarized version of the Fairness Doctrine which was adobted by the FCC in 1949:

The fairness doctrine as developed by the commission imposes upon broadcasters a two pronged obligation. Broadcast licensees are required to provide coverage of vitally important controversial issues of interest in the community served by the licensee and to provide a reasonable opportunity for the presentation of contrasting viewpoints on such issues.

what this does is place the power of free speech over the airwaves into the hands of three government officials appointed by the president, confirmed by the senate, and given annual operating budgets by the congress.

Bill Ruder assistant secretary of commerce during the Kennedy administration:

"Our strategy was to use the Fairness Doctrine to challenge and harass right-wing broadcasters and hope that the challenges would be so costly to them that they would be inhibited and decide it was to expensive to continue."

"The fairness doctrine was in the back of everyone's mind each time they thought about covering a controversial issue or taking an editorial stand." - David Barlett president of the radio-t.v. news directors association.

And what does all that have to do with Me... What I said... Or War Protestors and people who don't like Ann Coulter not giving others a chance to speak???

The Fairness Doctrine was almost as stupid as people who disrupt traffic to protest war.

Protesters have an ethical obligation to be fair and reasonable, but it should not be against the law for them to boo and hiss until the speaker can no longer be heard. Just like the Dems with Jean Schmidt: it's childish, but it shouldn't be illegal.

The majority of the people there don't want to hear them... so the majority wins ...... And the others don't have a say in it, and if they do... they are just complaining and bitching........ Am I right?????

Nope. And who is to say who is the majority and who is the minority? You gonna take a count at the door?

oldreliable67 said:
Nope. And who is to say who is the majority and who is the minority? You gonna take a count at the door?

Now your just being retarded... avoiding the purpose of the post to begin with.. and do not deserve an intelligent response... since your responce was not intelligent to begin with.

Caine said:
Now your just being retarded... avoiding the purpose of the post to begin with.. and do not deserve an intelligent response... since your responce was not intelligent to begin with.

You know, troop, if you would post up something intelligent to begin with...

Frankly, I'm beginning to suspect that an intelligent post is a bit too much of a challenge for you.

Caine said:
oldreliable67 said:
You know, troop, if you would post up something intelligent to begin with...

Frankly, I'm beginning to suspect that an intelligent post is a bit too much of a challenge for you.

[Moderator mode]

Deep breaths, folks....Count to 10...

[/Moderator mode]

I myself am all for freedom of speech but when that speech hurts our troops in the war like the comments of leaders in the democratic party or anyone else I draw the line......

1. Our military is not broke (Murtha)

2. Our military are not terrorists......if they go into a home at night its to get people who want to murder americans. (Kerry)

3. We can win and are winning the war in Iraq.....(Dean)

all of these outrageous comments have been made in the past 2 weeks and are nothing but partisan rhetoric.........

galenrox said:
Or how about the guy who when asked "Can we win?" responded "I don't think we can win it."
Guess who that guy was, come on, guess!

click here to find out who this unamerican liberal communist is!

The difference is he was saying that we would not know when we actually won the war on terror, not the war in Iraq....Your hero said we are losing in Iraq.....Huge difference........

Way to spin as usual Gal.........:roll:

galenrox said:
What spin? I quoted him and I provided the source.

But I can say you did not spin anything in that last post, since spin is presenting the facts in a misleading manner, and you're just making **** up as you go along. I HATED Kerry, I have stated countless times that I HATED Kerry, I have told you personally several times that I HATED Kerry, but of course, why let the facts get in the way of a mediocre argument?

Yeah your link says the war on terror not the war in Iraq.....Your hero said the war in Iraq.........What part of that do you not understand?

galenrox said:
:bravo: :rofl
Oh my GOD dude, are you even serious? Like, are you able to say these things with a straight face, cause I really hope you're not serious!
I JUST explained to you IN THE POST THAT YOU WERE REPLYING TO that politically I HATE Kerry, I even capitalized the word HATE every time that I used it, so that even you could get the idea in your head that I DON'T LIKE KERRY!
What about that is so hard for you to understand?

And don't skip over this, I know you like to skip over posts that point out logical paradox's of yours, so you can pretend like you're still a rational human being, but don't, I want you to reply to this!

Galen.....
He is doing it to **** you off... He does it to me every time I point out something that makes him look like an idiot... he just makes some **** up and calls Cindy Sheehan my girlfriend, even though Ive told him time and time again I think she is a stupid broad.......

I wouldn't let him get to you... His purpose here isnt to debate politics, but to get people angry and belittle them for not being Bush following neo-cons.

galenrox said:
:bravo: :rofl
Oh my GOD dude, are you even serious? Like, are you able to say these things with a straight face, cause I really hope you're not serious!
I JUST explained to you IN THE POST THAT YOU WERE REPLYING TO that politically I HATE Kerry, I even capitalized the word HATE every time that I used it, so that even you could get the idea in your head that I DON'T LIKE KERRY!
What about that is so hard for you to understand?

And don't skip over this, I know you like to skip over posts that point out logical paradox's of yours, so you can pretend like you're still a rational human being, but don't, I want you to reply to this!

Dudey I am serious You insinuated Bush said we could not win the war in Iraq and that is a lie becasue he never said that........Your hero Dean said it..........

Oh and I could care less who you hate...........We know the truth.....

Now I am not going to let you bait me to say something I might get banned for so buzz off..........

Navy Pride said:
1. Our military is not broke (Murtha)

"Most U.S. troops will leave Iraq within a year because the Army is "broken, worn out" and "living hand to mouth," Rep. John Murtha told a civic group."

http://cbs5.com/nationalpolitics/politicsnational_story_335101047.html

Navy Pride, this may come as a shock to you but I agree on this one. I think Murtha went too far in making his point here, and he didn't consider the propoganda victory that saying something like this would be for the terrorists and insurgents. We need to break their will to fight, not bolster it. I can imagine hearing that your enemy is broken and worn out is quite encouraging to this insurgency, especially since we know their strategy is to wear us down in an unwinnable political war like Viet Nam, and Murtha is confirming their success with those particular words. He needs to think about that next time.

But I do not agree that war is a blank check for the President to do whatever he wants without criticism, for fear it will "aid the enemy." We should not forget our obligation as Americans to criticize the government whenever necessary and appropriate, especially during war when decisions are most costly. We should never stop criticizing the government just because it's wartime. I can think of nothing more un-American than the notion that we should run lock-step into war and not criticize a single decision the President makes along the way.

Also consider that in general, Middle Easterners follows American politics more closely than many Americans do, since they are affected so much by us, so I'm sure they're just as accustomed to our partisan bickering as we are. Just because there is opposition in the government doesn't necessarily mean it actually encourages them.

But a line should be drawn. I agree with you that Murtha crossed that line when he called our troops "broken" and "warn out." However I don't believe he crossed that line here:

"Murtha, a decorated Vietnam war veteran, said the Pennsylvania National Guard is "stretched so thin" that it won't be able to send fully equipped units to Iraq next year. Murtha predicted it will cost $50 billion to upgrade military equipment nationwide, but says the federal government is already reducing future purchases to save money."

Do you think he's aiding the enemy by telling them we don't have enough money to equip them properly? I don't think so, but maybe you do. I think that illustrates how gray this issue is, deciding whether or not criticizing the government during war is patriotic or treasonous. For me, it comes down to whether or not it actually DOES help the insurgents in some way, more than it helps America for our government to publically debate the administration's tactics. We'll borrow money from friends in other countries if we need to, they aren't going to bankrupt us any time soon.

Navy Pride said:
2. Our military are not terrorists......if they go into a home at night its to get people who want to murder americans. (Kerry)

Kerry did not call the military terrorists! That is a molestation of the English language. Tell me how this is any different than what Kerry said:

"And there is no reason, Bob, that young American soldiers need to be going into the homes of Iraqis in the dead of night, scaring kids and children, you know, women, breaking sort of the customs of the - of - the historical customs, religious customs."

That says EXACTLY the same thing. Even if you substitute the word 'soldiers' for 'troops' it's still EXACTLY the same thing. Terrorism is the use of terror and intimidation to gain political advantage. But not everything that terrorizes you is a terrorist. Unless you also believe the move Jaws is a terrorist, I know that movie terrorized the crap out of me! Kerry pointed out the troops are scaring Iraqi kids, presumably when they have to sweep and clear urban areas. You're making the assumption Kerry meant the troops are doing it on purpose, and that's a HUGE assumption that has no basis or merit.

Navy Pride said:
3. We can win and are winning the war in Iraq.....(Dean)
Did you mean he said we can't win? Dean said, "The idea that we're going to win the war in Iraq is an idea that unfortunately is just plain wrong." I don't know what he meant by "win" but I think victory is possible if the right decisions are made. I think we should SLOWLY start relocating troops to Kuwait, starting with the rural areas. Watch the place like a hawk for any sign of an uprising that the Iraqi government can't handle, and be ready to move back to Iraq within 12 hours if it comes to that. The Iraq government wants a timetable, most of the people want us out now, the insurgency won't stop as long as U.S. troops are there, so why is it not it a good time to start pulling out? Victory is a stable Iraq maintaining its own democracy and all of our troops home ASAP. I think we can achieve that, the only question is when.

galenrox said:
Please, I beg of you, show me where exactly it says in the first ammendment that you have a right to not be shouted down with anti-war chants, or anything even CLOSE to that!
The riots in Seattle were anti-WTO people, and people at those protests tend to be the actual crazies

Dude, I grew up in the town just to the east of Skokie, Illinois, which is the most jewish place in America. Over the course of my lifetime the Klu Klux Klan has shut down the most major street in the city to march down it, if that doesn't prove that the first ammendment allows you to be a little disruptive, than I don't know what does.
It seems you have a very odd perception of what exactly "freedom of speech" is. From what I can tell, your idea of freedom of speech seems to assume many rules, making freedom of speech actually very much restricted speech.

Nope I have a very simple definition for the freedom of speech, I have the right to speak uninhibited by jack asses, I have the right to peacefully assemble to listen to people speak without being inhibited by jack asses, it seems to me that your idea of the freedom of speech is that I can say whatever I want or listen to whatever I want as long as that something is in lock step with your opinion and if it's not in lock step then you're going to protest it and interfere with it so that the something that I want to say or listen to can't be heard! You don't see Reps busting up a Michael Moore meeting do you?

Last edited:
Nope I have a very simple definition for the freedom of speech, I have the right to speak uninhibited by jack asses, I have the right to peacefully assemble to listen to people speak without being inhibited by jack asses, it seems to me that your idea of freedom of speech is that I can say whatever I want or listen to whatever I want as long as that something is in lock step with your opinion!

No.. that is the neo-con's view.... thus anything that they don't like is GIVING AID TO THE ENEMY and treasonous........

Look, anyone has the right to shout over the top of what you say if they don't like it.... retarded, Yes.. very..... But.. they can still do it.

And sometimes, you wish you had the right to punch them in the face, body slam them, stomp out a few teeth, and spit on thier unconscious body..... but, unfortunately you dont.

When I say you, Im not specifically talking about one person, but you in a completely general sense....

Caine said:
No.. that is the neo-con's view.... thus anything that they don't like is GIVING AID TO THE ENEMY and treasonous........

Look, anyone has the right to shout over the top of what you say if they don't like it.... retarded, Yes.. very..... But.. they can still do it.

And sometimes, you wish you had the right to punch them in the face, body slam them, stomp out a few teeth, and spit on thier unconscious body..... but, unfortunately you dont.

When I say you, Im not specifically talking about one person, but you in a completely general sense....

First off I'm not a neo-con I'm a paleo-con secondly what the **** gives you the right to interfere with my right to peacefully assemble???!!!!

First off I'm not a neo-con I'm a paleo-con secondly what the **** gives you the right to interfere with my right to peacefully assemble???!!!!

Maybe My right to peacefully assemble????

Caine said:
Maybe My right to peacefully assemble????

Oh I see so according to you your right to peacefully assemble can inflict upon my right to peacefully assemble, is that what you're saying? That your rights trump my rights? Typical Dem thinking that the only rights that matter are his own. :roll:

Oh I see so according to you your right to peacefully assemble can inflict upon my right to peacefully assemble, is that what you're saying? That your rights trump my rights? Typical Dem thinking that the only rights that matter are his own. :roll:

Nope, but if your group is larger than mine, your rights can trump mine.....

Isn't that what everyone tells me when I argue the issue of Secularism in the government? Because the majority of Americans are christian, its okay to have Christian symbology in our courts and Pledge, even though its against the constitution, and if you disagree your a whining bitching godless freak and unamerican?

Same things goes here......if my assembly outnumbers your assembly, I guess my rights are more important huh?

Binary_Digit said:
"Most U.S. troops will leave Iraq within a year because the Army is "broken, worn out" and "living hand to mouth," Rep. John Murtha told a civic group."

http://cbs5.com/nationalpolitics/politicsnational_story_335101047.html

Navy Pride, this may come as a shock to you but I agree on this one. I think Murtha went too far in making his point here, and he didn't consider the propoganda victory that saying something like this would be for the terrorists and insurgents. We need to break their will to fight, not bolster it. I can imagine hearing that your enemy is broken and worn out is quite encouraging to this insurgency, especially since we know their strategy is to wear us down in an unwinnable political war like Viet Nam, and Murtha is confirming their success with those particular words. He needs to think about that next time.

But I do not agree that war is a blank check for the President to do whatever he wants without criticism, for fear it will "aid the enemy." We should not forget our obligation as Americans to criticize the government whenever necessary and appropriate, especially during war when decisions are most costly. We should never stop criticizing the government just because it's wartime. I can think of nothing more un-American than the notion that we should run lock-step into war and not criticize a single decision the President makes along the way.

Also consider that in general, Middle Easterners follows American politics more closely than many Americans do, since they are affected so much by us, so I'm sure they're just as accustomed to our partisan bickering as we are. Just because there is opposition in the government doesn't necessarily mean it actually encourages them.

But a line should be drawn. I agree with you that Murtha crossed that line when he called our troops "broken" and "warn out." However I don't believe he crossed that line here:

"Murtha, a decorated Vietnam war veteran, said the Pennsylvania National Guard is "stretched so thin" that it won't be able to send fully equipped units to Iraq next year. Murtha predicted it will cost $50 billion to upgrade military equipment nationwide, but says the federal government is already reducing future purchases to save money."

Do you think he's aiding the enemy by telling them we don't have enough money to equip them properly? I don't think so, but maybe you do. I think that illustrates how gray this issue is, deciding whether or not criticizing the government during war is patriotic or treasonous. For me, it comes down to whether or not it actually DOES help the insurgents in some way, more than it helps America for our government to publically debate the administration's tactics. We'll borrow money from friends in other countries if we need to, they aren't going to bankrupt us any time soon.

Kerry did not call the military terrorists! That is a molestation of the English language. Tell me how this is any different than what Kerry said:

"And there is no reason, Bob, that young American soldiers need to be going into the homes of Iraqis in the dead of night, scaring kids and children, you know, women, breaking sort of the customs of the - of - the historical customs, religious customs."

That says EXACTLY the same thing. Even if you substitute the word 'soldiers' for 'troops' it's still EXACTLY the same thing. Terrorism is the use of terror and intimidation to gain political advantage. But not everything that terrorizes you is a terrorist. Unless you also believe the move Jaws is a terrorist, I know that movie terrorized the crap out of me! Kerry pointed out the troops are scaring Iraqi kids, presumably when they have to sweep and clear urban areas. You're making the assumption Kerry meant the troops are doing it on purpose, and that's a HUGE assumption that has no basis or merit.

Did you mean he said we can't win? Dean said, "The idea that we're going to win the war in Iraq is an idea that unfortunately is just plain wrong." I don't know what he meant by "win" but I think victory is possible if the right decisions are made. I think we should SLOWLY start relocating troops to Kuwait, starting with the rural areas. Watch the place like a hawk for any sign of an uprising that the Iraqi government can't handle, and be ready to move back to Iraq within 12 hours if it comes to that. The Iraq government wants a timetable, most of the people want us out now, the insurgency won't stop as long as U.S. troops are there, so why is it not it a good time to start pulling out? Victory is a stable Iraq maintaining its own democracy and all of our troops home ASAP. I think we can achieve that, the only question is when.

Well thank you for the first paragraph......It is nice to hear someone from the left admit Murtha is flat wrong.....

As far as Murtha goes I salute him for his service but I found out today that for most of his career he was what we call a weekend warrior in that he was in the reserves and only served about 4 years in the active marines.......

I think constructive criticism of the president is a good thing but to just scream the party line is wrong...................Offer ways to fix things if you think their wrong.......I thought Clinton was the worse president we ever had in this country but I backed him in Bosnia.....

As far as Kerry goes he may not have used the word terror but that is what he meant.........Don't you think that innocent people would be terrorized if someone broke into their home in the middle of the night.....Out troops go into those homes when they get reliable tips there are insurgents in there planning to kill Ameircans.........

Dean said we can;t win in Iraq and that is a lie.......When a free democracy is established there and the Iraqis can handle the security we will have won and we can go home victors........Don't ever tell someone serving in Iraq that we can't win there or that we are losing...............

Caine said:
Nope, but if your group is larger than mine, your rights can trump mine.....

Isn't that what everyone tells me when I argue the issue of Secularism in the government? Because the majority of Americans are christian, its okay to have Christian symbology in our courts and Pledge, even though its against the constitution, and if you disagree your a whining bitching godless freak and unamerican?

Same things goes here......if my assembly outnumbers your assembly, I guess my rights are more important huh?

Nope actually I always say the antithesis to that: the point of the Republic is to respect the will of the majority while protecting the rights of the minority. Since when do we live in mob rule fascist Germany?

Back
Top Bottom