• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Predict Senate Results

Because the US Constitution requires an up or down vote by the Senate. Which means it cannot be filibustered since a filibuster would prevent that constitutionally required vote from occurring.

With regard to Merrick Garland, the Republican Senate should have held hearings and voted during the 114th Session of Congress. There is no constitutionally required time limit for a President to appoint a justice, but once nominated the Senate is constitutionally obligated to make an up or down vote. That Senate vote should occur during the same session in which the nomination was made, if possible. The Republican Senate was wrong to not hold hearings and present Obama with a vote on Garland before the end of the session.

What the Republicans should have done is conduct hearings from the time of Garland's nomination until December of 2016, and then reject Obama's appointment. Which would have been too late for Obama to make another nomination during the 114th Session of Congress. It would have accomplished the same thing, but it would also satisfy the nomination requirements placed on the Senate by the US Constitution.

As far as Garland was concerned, there’s also the idea of “advice” as well as consent. Obama did not seek any advice, so consent was denied.

Goodbye Mitch McConnell. I will not miss you.

In late 2019, McConnell was ranked the worst U.S. Senator on a top 10/bottom 10 list. As if that is not bad enough, Kentucky's Republican governor was immediately replaced with a Democrat in November. I have been expecting him to lose ever since.

BTW you know she is vacating her seat. Someone needs to run for it now.
McConnell is up by 12 points. He's safe.

If the election were today I think Democrats would flip Arizona, Colorado, Maine, and North Carolina while Republicans would flip Alabama. It would not surprise me at all to see Iowa, Montana, or Georgia's non-special flip. Alaska, Kansas, Michigan, South Carolina, Texas, and Georgia's special are flips that I think would be highly unlikely, but theoretically possible. I don't think there is a reasonable chance for any other state.
According to the rules in Georgia, both Senate seats are heading for runoffs in January.

As well, RCV will enter the picture for the Senate seat in Maine.

50 different sets of rules for FEDERAL offices is a complete bastardization of State’s Rights.

Put up or shut up: get on record now. What's your fearless prognostication for the Senate races?

I'm guessing that the Democrats pick up four seats, and lose one.

Lose: Alabama

Win: Arizona, Colorado, Maine, North Carolina. (Iowa, Montana and Georgia also in play).

Net gain of three, leaving the Senate in Democratic hands with Vice President Kamala Harris breaking any ties.
South Carolina just moved into the toss up area...Graham and Harrison are now tied in the latest polls. It just got very deep in South Carolina. People on both sides are ticked at Graham for a multitude of reasons...some of the Republicans are likely to stay home instead of voting for Harrison and some will vote Harrison in a protest vote...some are party loyalists and will vote Graham even if they hate him...yes, hate him...and Democrats and poc here are very motivated with Harrison. Graham may lose in this election...fund raising for Harrison has skyrocketed lately.

Come January, the democrats will own the house, senate and the presidency.

But democrats won't have a filibuster proof majority.

I wouldn't celebrate so soon, flipping the Senate is still an uphill battle.
No one is celebrating for sure. I predict that Hickenlooper will stomp Gardner and send him home with a You're fired letter...that seat is almost a sure thing..
I do believe we will lose Alabama, which won't be a surprise in that red state
I am hoping that Kelly beats Sally in Arizona...that would mean we need one less to hold out against any nominee for Trump.
I think North Carolina will flip to Democrat and Cunningham will win by a narrow margin.
Collins will probably lose in Maine and it will flip Democrat...
Republicans have very few gains and will probably lose the Senate, but the majority for Democrats will be a thin one...McConnell will go to the minority and should be placed in a handicap by Democrats.
I predict Democrats will hold onto Michigan and lose Alabama so they will only lose 1 seat and gain Colorado, Maine, Arizona and North Carolina..meaning they pick up at least 3 seats, maybe 4. I predict the Democrats hold all but 1 seat. Leaving them barely in the majority.

Back
Top Bottom