• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Possible fix to rioting?

Would This Reduce Rioting?

• Absolutley, Do It Now

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • No Way, Not Playing Fair

Votes: 12 66.7%
  • Other, explained in thread

Votes: 4 22.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
But he is talking about protesters who travel to riot and enacting a punishment that state would not be able to impose like removing welfare aid for the offender and offender's household.Last I check if I go to Boston to attend a protest and end up rioting, then Boston can not tell my home state to not give me or anyone who lives in my house foodstamps..

With that I agree. The whole notion of withholding benefits as a form of punishment is completely unworkable for many reasons.

Was thinking how do we deal with rioters, heck some travel long distances to attend a protest which they help turn into a riot. So how about this:
If someone is arrested due to rioting and convicted, not protesting that is different, then they and their immediate family (living in the same home) lose All Government Assistance. No Welfare, no Food Stamps, no assistance for a term of 5 years, no exceptions. Think that would have an impact or just make some even crazier?

I think we should start by getting a president who doesn't side with the rioters. Not likely to happen, though.

This is disgusting and a vicious attack on innocent third parties.

Rioters are scum, but this is worse.

I read your OP and it said that it applied to the rioter "and their immediate family (living in the same home)". If you cannot remember what you wrote perhaps you should lay off the sauce?

Oh my, a Drama Queen, read the rest or go get some cheese.

Starting to sentence people convicted of crimes to work on a chain gang would certainly change things in states that do not now use chain gangs. Nothing requires any state to pay convicts anything for their work on a chain gang. See U.S.C. Amendment XIII (authorizing involuntary servitude as punishment for crimes).
That is a rarity, it is usually a voluntary program and there is no shortage of volunteers. You were saying?

Was thinking how do we deal with rioters, heck some travel long distances to attend a protest which they help turn into a riot. So how about this:
If someone is arrested due to rioting and convicted, not protesting that is different, then they and their immediate family (living in the same home) lose All Government Assistance. No Welfare, no Food Stamps, no assistance for a term of 5 years, no exceptions. Think that would have an impact or just make some even crazier?

LMAO
one of the worst ideas I ever heard. What country are you suggesting this for because it would never work in america with our rights, laws, constitition and all.

Even if it was possible and not a completely legal and human rights violation Im curious why would you even suggest this for "rioters" when there's so much more going on in the country.
Where else do "you" think this is a sound and logical solution for a fix in your opinion?
Murder?
Attempted Murder?
Felony Assault?
Rape?
Grand theft/embezzlement?

I think we should start by getting a president who doesn't side with the rioters. Not likely to happen, though.

Not for a while............sadly.

LMAO
one of the worst ideas I ever heard. What country are you suggesting this for because it would never work in america with our rights, laws, constitition and all.

Even if it was possible and not a completely legal and human rights violation Im curious why would you even suggest this for "rioters" when there's so much more going on in the country.
Where else do "you" think this is a sound and logical solution for a fix in your opinion?
Murder?
Attempted Murder?
Felony Assault?
Rape?
Grand theft/embezzlement?
Really? I consider you fairly intelligent explain why the society should sort some that hates that same society and is even willing to riot and burn down businesses because they have an issue, it is about hating society, right?
Explain what is Unconstitutional about the suggestion, I will wait for the in-depth constitutional restrictions you see with taking away their Welfare payments for a few years...........
Hmm, sound goods but not the topic and would take further discussion not on topic, stay focused.

1.)Really?
2.) I consider you fairly intelligent
3.) explain why the society should sort some that hates that same society and is even willing to riot and burn down businesses because they have an issue, it is about hating society, right?
4.) Explain what is Unconstitutional about the suggestion, I will wait for the in-depth constitutional restrictions you see with taking away their Welfare payments for a few years...........
5.) Hmm, sound goods but not the topic and would take further discussion not on topic, stay focused.

1.) yes really since i believe in the constitution and peoples rights. the "riots" aren't even close to a reason to violate them or even consider it. They arent even worthy for a discussion to change the constitution.
2.) thank you, please note its the idea im totally bashing and not you
3.) i dont know what your asking here. Are you asking why society should support somebody that hates it? who said they should I certainly didnt that has ZERO to do with the lunacy of this idea though. Thats a simple strawman. Why should the family members have their rights violated based on the actions of others? DO you not care about peoples rights?
4.) are you serious? are you not from america? why this will be easy, have you ever heard of due process?!
Are you HONESTLY suggesting that punishing family members doesnt violate legal and human rights and the constitution?
5.) it VERY much is the topic, you suggest a solution that would violate people's legal and human rights and violate the constitution and you want to do it based on "riots" so im asking you what other illegal activity would you violat rights and the constitution for in this fashion and why "riots" motivate you to this level and not the other stuff. SO you can answer them or dodge them but its every bit on topic.

Last edited:
In these parts we've been arresting them and charging them with Third Degree Riot.

It remains to be seen how well it works.

Back
Top Bottom