• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Pope Francis appoints Archbishop Wilton Gregory as first Black American cardinal

Atomic Kid

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/religi...regory-first-black-american-cardinal-n1244682

Washington, D.C., Archbishop Wilton Gregory was among 13 new cardinals named by Pope Francis on Sunday and will become the first Black U.S. prelate to earn the coveted red hat.

Francis picked Gregory to lead the prestigious diocese in the U.S. capital last year. He served three times as the head of the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops.

Gregory was part of a select group of Catholic leaders who criticized President Donald Trump for staging a picture in front of St. John's Episcopal Church near the White House this year during protests about the death of George Floyd.

Gregory said a previous pope, John Paul II, would "not condone the use of tear gas and other deterrents to silence, scatter or intimidate them for a photo opportunity in front of a place of worship and peace."

Pope Francis made the surprise announcement from his studio window to the faithful standing below in St. Peter's Square in Vatican City. He said the men would be elevated to the rank of cardinal on Nov. 28.

Hmmmm....first the Pope announces his support for civil unions of same sex couples. Now he announces the appointment of the first African American cardinal. Archbishop Wilton Gregory. Who had achieved a modicum of notoriety for his open criticism of the President Trump's notorious bible photo op after the brutal clearing of the protesters in Lafayette Park. Think the Pope may be sending a message to American Catholics about the current American President's administration and his policies?

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/religi...regory-first-black-american-cardinal-n1244682

Hmmmm....first the Pope announces his support for civil unions of same sex couples. Now he announces the appointment of the first African American cardinal. Archbishop Wilton Gregory. Who had achieved a modicum of notoriety for his open criticism of the President Trump's notorious bible photo op after the brutal clearing of the protesters in Lafayette Park. Think the Pope may be sending a message to American Catholics about the current American President's administration and his policies?
The Vatican does its best to stay apolitical, or at least gives the appearance of having no political lean. Sadly Trump supporters are too dumb to understand the nuances behind 'messages' like this.

The Vatican does its best to stay apolitical, or at least gives the appearance of having no political lean. Sadly Trump supporters are too dumb to understand the nuances behind 'messages' like this.

Many American Conservatives despise the current Pontiff for speaking out against inequality.

Cause you know, true Christianity means you pretend the poor don't exist and they should get ****ed.

Think the Pope may be sending a message to American Catholics about the current American President's administration and his policies?
No, I don't. But if you like what this new cardinal has said about Trump, you must be pleased with the choice.

Many American Conservatives despise the current Pontiff for speaking out against inequality.

Cause you know, true Christianity means you pretend the poor don't exist and they should get ****ed.
Yep, millionaire televangelists and their megachurches. How does that represent the bible's teachings about 'mammon', greed and the worship of money?

No, I don't. But if you like what this new cardinal has said about Trump, you must be pleased with the choice.
I have no idea of what this man has said about trump and I'm still pleased with the pope's pick. It's time we stopped living by the words of people from thousands of years ago or hundreds of years ago like our constitution. This is the twenty first century not 300 ad.

Yep, millionaire televangelists and their megachurches. How does that represent the bible's teachings about 'mammon' and greed?

It doesn't.

It's simply mass psychosis.

These are people lost in time, brought up with beliefs, many of which have no place in the modern world.

So they need a place of belonging, because more and more society at large rejects their regressive beliefs.

And so the displays of power, wealth and grandeur that these Megachurches facilitate, affirm their beliefs, makes them feel strong and right.

It's interesting cause its a double whammy, how many people that are being taken for a ride by these Megachurches and Pastors, also vote Republican that is also ripping them off, although arguably far more seriously, simply again, with cheap and shallow displays of religious fervor?

Anyway, ranted enough and just a bit of a theory but, there it is.

It doesn't.

These are people lost in time, brought up with beliefs, many of which have no place in the modern world.

So they need a place of belonging, because more and more society at large rejects their regressive beliefs.

And so the displays of power, wealth and grandeur that these Megachurches facilitate, affirm their beliefs, makes them feel strong and right.

It's interesting cause its a double whammy, how many people that are being taken for a ride by these Megachurches and Pastors, also vote Republican that is also ripping them off, although arguably far more seriously, simply again, with cheap and shallow displays of religious fervor?

I second your theory.

It doesn't.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

I have no idea of what this man has said about trump and I'm still pleased with the pope's pick. It's time we stopped living by the words of people from thousands of years ago or hundreds of years ago like our constitution. This is the twenty first century not 300 ad.
Well, the Constitution still has some legs, I think.

I dont think it’s coincidence that Pope Francis spoke out in favor of same-sex civil unions then elevated an Archbishop who also shares in that view. But I am surprised it’s Wilton Gregory considering the scandal associated with him. He basically stole $2.2 million from a charitable endowment to build a 6,400sq ft mansion as his personal residence while serving as Archbishop of Atlanta.

Possibly. Do you think its right to the Pope to go against catholic/christian doctrine and get involved in another nations politics? I imagine catholics do, but what about the rest of us? Catholics only make up 20% of the population.

I dont think it’s coincidence that Pope Francis spoke out in favor of same-sex civil unions then elevated an Archbishop who also shares in that view. But I am surprised it’s Wilton Gregory considering the scandal associated with him. He basically stole $2.2 million from a charitable endowment to build a 6,400sq ft mansion as his personal residence while serving as Archbishop of Atlanta.
Looks like Trump took his cue from him when he stole around the same amount from the 'Trump Foundation' charity (since dissolved). Republicans and Catholics, pure as the driven snow...

Looks like Trump took his cue from him when he stole around the same amount from the 'Trump Foundation' charity (since dissolved). Republicans and Catholics, pure as the driven snow...

I dare say people expect more from an Archbishop than a businessman. Donald Trump never claimed to be a moral authority as far as I know.

Last edited:
Oh I think he is and really this Pope has been pretty open in his criticism of Trump's actions and policies. I think this appointment is a worthy one, but also a very appropriate and important one given the challenging times we find ourselves in now Especially for African Americans who have been particularly hard hit, economically and mortality wise, by this pandemic, while continuing to find themselves having to struggle with police violence, poverty and the institutional challenges that continue to plague them, such as being able to exercise their right to vote, and having a pathway to equal economic and educational opportunity.

I dare say people expect more from an Archbishop than a businessman. Donald Trump never claimed to be a moral authority as far as I know.
BS. He has constantly laid claim to the mantle as a defender of the Christian faith. Proclaiming his political opponents to be unchristian and or hostile to religion and religious freedom.

Link please?

And I'd add that Gregory's elevation after only three years as an archbishop is "interesting."

"Pope announces his support for civil unions of same sex couples"

Actually, based on 'Principles" being Principle!!!

Then the Pope should allow those in the Clergy's Ranks to extend this same support to and announces his support for civil unions of same sex couples within the ranks of Priest and Nun's".

It might cut down on all the sexual abuses within Catholicism, from the acts of child sex abuses and the covert levels of homosexuality that is and has been widespread within the ranks of Catholicism's Clergy and Nun's For Centuries and Decades.

Thank you, Napoleon.

No problem. Extravagance is a common characteristic of American Archbishops that Gregory adopted when he was elected, but stealing from charity to pay for that is a different low. Not sure I would trust the man around finances. If Francis really wants to make a difference then he should make the clergy accountable to the laity in some way. This model of no accountability except the hope that their superior is less corrupt has never worked well.

Back
Top Bottom