• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Pompeo Under House Investigation For Israel-Based RNC Speech Over Ethics Concerns

HumblePi

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
[h=1]Pompeo Under House Investigation For Israel-Based RNC Speech Over Ethics Concerns[/h]The Democrat-led House Foreign Affairs Committee on Tuesday announced a probe into a pre-recorded speech by Secretary of State Mike Pompeo to the Republican National Convention amid cries from Trump critics that it’s a grievous ethics violation.
[h=2]KEY FACTS[/h] Pompeo is currently touring the Middle East to promote ties with Israel and is scheduled to address the convention in a speech pre-taped from an “undisclosed location” in Jerusalem, according to the New York Timesand Axios.

The news was met with scathing criticism from ethics experts, who say it represents a clear violation of the Hatch Act, which forbids federal employees from performing political tasks in their official capacities.

Rep. Joaquin Castro (D-Tex.), the vice chair of the House Foreign Affairs Committee, called the speech “highly unusual and likely unprecedented” and argued it “may also be illegal,” in a letter to Pompeo’s deputy Stephen Biegun.

The letter cited guidance circulated by the State Department in July telling employees not to “improperly engage the Department of State in the political process,” though the State Department has said Pompeo will be speaking in his “personal capacity,” and that State Department staff are not involved and the department will not bear costs for the speech.

The letter also cites a “long-standing policy” by the State Department of “limiting participation in partisan campaigns,” including attending a “political party convention or convention-related event,” and calls Pompeo’s RNC speech an “incontrovertible” violation.

Castro is requesting records from the State Department’s legal advisor regarding political activities by appointees like Pompeo as well as a list of expenditures from Pompeo’s Middle East trip, including “receipts demonstrating that any expenses incurred by the State Department were reimbursed by the RNC.”

https://www.forbes.com/sites/andrew...rnc-speech-over-ethics-concerns/#809c59779e70

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know how many times the Trump administration has blurred the lines but it seems it's becoming more frequent and more blatant. The republicans don't even care anymore about the Hatch Act or any other accepted rules of behavior.

[h=1]Pompeo Under House Investigation For Israel-Based RNC Speech Over Ethics Concerns[/h]The Democrat-led House Foreign Affairs Committee on Tuesday announced a probe into a pre-recorded speech by Secretary of State Mike Pompeo to the Republican National Convention amid cries from Trump critics that it’s a grievous ethics violation.
[h=2]KEY FACTS[/h] Pompeo is currently touring the Middle East to promote ties with Israel and is scheduled to address the convention in a speech pre-taped from an “undisclosed location” in Jerusalem, according to the New York Timesand Axios.

The news was met with scathing criticism from ethics experts, who say it represents a clear violation of the Hatch Act, which forbids federal employees from performing political tasks in their official capacities.

Rep. Joaquin Castro (D-Tex.), the vice chair of the House Foreign Affairs Committee, called the speech “highly unusual and likely unprecedented” and argued it “may also be illegal,” in a letter to Pompeo’s deputy Stephen Biegun.

The letter cited guidance circulated by the State Department in July telling employees not to “improperly engage the Department of State in the political process,” though the State Department has said Pompeo will be speaking in his “personal capacity,” and that State Department staff are not involved and the department will not bear costs for the speech.

The letter also cites a “long-standing policy” by the State Department of “limiting participation in partisan campaigns,” including attending a “political party convention or convention-related event,” and calls Pompeo’s RNC speech an “incontrovertible” violation.

Castro is requesting records from the State Department’s legal advisor regarding political activities by appointees like Pompeo as well as a list of expenditures from Pompeo’s Middle East trip, including “receipts demonstrating that any expenses incurred by the State Department were reimbursed by the RNC.”

https://www.forbes.com/sites/andrew...rnc-speech-over-ethics-concerns/#809c59779e70

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know how many times the Trump administration has blurred the lines but it seems it's becoming more frequent and more blatant. The republicans don't even care anymore about the Hatch Act or any other accepted rules of behavior.

LOL. .
I love it when democrats waste time on investigation that go nowhere.

LOL. .
I love it when democrats waste time on investigation that go nowhere.

I love it when Trump Republicans continually excuse ethics violations.

lol

Dems can take their money-wasting investigation and shove it up their ass.

Dems can take their money-wasting investigation and shove it up their ass.

How much money did the right waste on going after Hillary?

lol

Your side doesn't give a **** about the money spent, just whether or not it's a D or an R being investigated. Don't pretend to have morals on this subject.

BREAKING: Secretary of State Mike Pompeo just lost it on Fox News host Chris Wallace when he confronted him with Trump’s open invitation to collude with foreign countries for dirt on his opponents.

Pompeo LOSES IT on Fox host when pressed on Trump’s collusion invite - YouTube

== May 09, 2020 · Pompeo, a Thuggish Trump Regime Lying Machine, an Unindicted Gangster by Stephen Lendman (stephenlendman.org – Home – Stephen Lendman) Pompeo is the most recklessly dangerous rogue actor ever to impersonate a US diplomat. His 2024 presidential aspirations should terrify everyone, a potential doomsday scenario if he enters the race and wins.

== a staffer for Secretary of State Mike Pompeo was performing domestic errands and chores such as handling dry cleaning, walking the family dog and making restaurant reservations, said a congressional official familiar with the matter.
Inspector general was examining whether Pompeo had staffer walk dog, handle dry cleaning, official says

== Pompeo secretly using government trips to meet wealthy donors ...
Pompeo secretly using government trips to meet wealthy donors for potential 2024 run: report – Raw Story...
May 22, 2020 · U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has secretly been using government trips around the world and at home to court wealthy potential donors, both as he considered a run for the Senate last year ...

=== Mike Pompeo, the Secretary of Trump | The New Yorker
Two days later, Trump announced that Pompeo was his nominee for the C.I.A. job. Trump seemed to know little about him, and Representative Devin Nunes, a member of Trump’s transition team, later ...

Sondland Kept Pompeo Informed on Ukraine Pressure Campaign
The diplomat at the center of the impeachment inquiry looped in the secretary of state at key moments as American officials pushed for investigations sought by President Trump.

Published Nov. 20, 2019
Updated Nov. 27, 2019

WASHINGTON — Gordon D. Sondland, the diplomat at the center of the House impeachment inquiry, kept Secretary of State Mike Pompeo apprised of key developments in the campaign to pressure Ukraine’s leader into public commitments that would satisfy President Trump, two people briefed on the matter said.

Mr. Sondland informed Mr. Pompeo in mid-August about a draft statement that Mr. Sondland and another American diplomat had worked on with the Ukrainians that they hoped would persuade Mr. Trump to grant Ukraine’s new president the Oval Office meeting he was seeking, the people said.

Later that month, Mr. Sondland discussed with Mr. Pompeo the possibility of pushing the Ukrainian president, Volodymyr Zelensky, to pledge during a planned meeting with Mr. Trump in Warsaw that he would take the steps being sought by Mr. Trump as a way to break the logjam in relations between the two countries, the people said.

Mr. Pompeo expressed his approval of the plan, they said, but Mr. Trump later canceled his trip to Poland.

But Mr. Pompeo was among those who had listened in on a call between the two leaders on July 25, when Mr. Trump explicitly asked Mr. Zelensky for investigations into former Vice President Joseph R. Biden Jr. and into a debunked conspiracy theory about Ukrainian interference in the 2016 presidential campaign. A lawyer for Mr. Pompeo declined to comment.

Sondland Kept Pompeo Informed on Ukraine Pressure Campaign - The New York Times

lol

Your side doesn't give a **** about the money spent, just whether or not it's a D or an R being investigated. Don't pretend to have morals on this subject.

Isn’t it interesting how malleable law-and-order types view of land and order can be when it comes to their guy.

lol

Oh...still crying about Hillary.

You are dismissed. (see my sig)

...trump's and biden's parrot: 'SQUAWK, Israel good, darkies bad...SQUAWK'

Oh...still crying about Hillary.

You are dismissed. (see my sig)

I'm not crying about Hillary, just using it as an example of your blazing hypocrisy.

lol

And dismiss all you want, we all know you only use that line when you can't deal with an argument.

I agree with your commentary. The Trump’s don’t care laws or ethics, and flaunt breaking them. The base doesn’t care either. It’s very sad. I was reading about the matter, and I am not even sure anything can be done about it. The Democrats can only try to investigate and expose it, but lack power to enforce. After Trump is gone, we need to get things in better order and better protect our norms, ethics, and laws

Let's just call this what it is: Democrats whining like the little bitches that they are.

I'm not crying about Hillary, just using it as an example of your blazing hypocrisy.

lol

And dismiss all you want, we all know you only use that line when you can't deal with an argument.

I'm not being hypocritical.

All of the Hillary investigations were justified. This Pompeo nonsense isn't.

I'm not being hypocritical.

All of the Hillary investigations were justified. This Pompeo nonsense isn't.

lol

As I said, it's not the money you're concerned with, just the R or D.

I love it when Trump Republicans continually excuse ethics violations.

lol

And they dare to claim that they are 'the party of law and order'? What a joke.

Back
Top Bottom