• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Poll for Women Only!

alphamale

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Women - rank the following characteristics of men in order of importance to you, in terms of what kind of man you'd like to have a long-term relationship with or marriage:

Handsome, good body.
Rich.
Tells you the truth.
Good father.
Polite, respectful.
Treats you as equal.
Stable personality.
Strong, assertive, brave, manly.
Intelligent.
Good in bed.
Sense of humor.
Loves you.
Same religion (no religion)
Clean, well groomed, well dressed.
Sociable, extrovert, friendly, companionable.
High enough level of education.
Helps around the house.
Faithful.
Listens to you.
Provides a living for you.
Reliable, dependable.
Has common interests with you.

why can't men who like men participate???

alphamale said:
Women - rank the following characteristics of men in order of importance to you, in terms of what kind of man you'd like to have a long-term relationship with or marriage:

1. Intelligent.
2. Treats you as equal.
3. Good father.
4. Loves you.
5. Reliable, dependable.
6. Sense of humor.
7. Tells you the truth.
8. Faithful.
9. Good in bed.
10. Listens to you.
11. Has common interests with you.
12. Clean, well groomed, well dressed.
13. Helps around the house.
14. Same religion (no religion)
15. Stable personality.
16. Sociable, extrovert, friendly, companionable.
17. Polite, respectful.
18. High enough level of education.
19. Provides a living for you.
20. Handsome, good body.
21. Strong, assertive, brave, manly.
22. Rich.

I am sure I am opening myself up to some smart-*** analysis, alphamale, but there you go. Tear it up!

and one other thing....

Moderator's Warning:

I am moving this to Off-Topic Discussions.....

Last edited:
mixedmedia said:
1. Intelligent.
2. Treats you as equal.
3. Good father.
4. Loves you.
5. Reliable, dependable.
6. Sense of humor.
7. Tells you the truth.
8. Good in bed.
9. Faithful.
10. Listens to you.
15. Stable personality.
17. Polite, respectful.
20. Handsome, good body.
22. Rich.

I am sure I am opening myself up to some smart-*** analysis, alphamale, but there you go. Tear it up!

and one other thing....

No. I am sincerely interested in women's opinions on this.

mixedmedia said:
1. Intelligent.
2. Treats you as equal.
3. Good father.
4. Loves you.
5. Reliable, dependable.
6. Sense of humor.
7. Tells you the truth.
8. Good in bed.
9. Faithful.
10. Listens to you.
15. Stable personality.
17. Polite, respectful.
20. Handsome, good body.
22. Rich.

and one other thing....

Moderator's Warning:

I am moving this to Off-Topic Discussions.....
Good in bed before faithful? Interesting....
So as long as he ****s good, makes no difference if it is only you he's ****ing?

I see alot of redundancy in the list, but I am not a woman, nor gay, so I'll shut up now.

alphamale said:
Women - rank the following characteristics of men in order of importance to you, in terms of what kind of man you'd like to have a long-term relationship with or marriage:.

1.Has common interests with you
2.Tells you the truth.
3.Good father.
4.Faithful.
5.Intelligent.
6.Good in bed.
7.Sense of humor.
8.Loves you.
9.Polite, respectful.
10.Clean, well groomed, well dressed.
11.Sociable, extrovert, friendly, companionable.
12.Helps around the house.
13.Listens to you.
14. Reliable, dependable
15.Treats you as equal.
16.Handsome, good body.
17.Provides a living for you.
18.Stable personality.
19.strong, assertive,brave, manly
20.high enough level of education
21.Same religion (no religion)
22.Rich.

alphamale said:

Handsome, good body.
Rich.
Tells you the truth.
Good father.
Polite, respectful.
Treats you as equal.
Stable personality.
Intelligent.
Good in bed.
Sense of humor.
Loves you.
Helps around the house.
Faithful.
Listens to you.
Reliable, dependable.

Hmmm...some tough choices.

Treats you as equal.
Loves you.
Intelligent.
Faithful.
Listens to you.
Sense of humor.
Handsome, good body.
Good in bed.
Tells you the truth.
Reliable, dependable.
Stable personality.
Helps around the house.
Polite, respectful.
Good father.
Rich.

The first two are non-negotiable. If he doesn't treat me as an equal or doesn't love me, don't know why I would be with him in the first place.

alphamale said:

Handsome, good body.
Rich.
Tells you the truth.
Good father.
Polite, respectful.
Treats you as equal.
Stable personality.
Intelligent.
Good in bed.
Sense of humor.
Loves you.
Helps around the house.
Faithful.
Listens to you.
Reliable, dependable.

Some of these are impossible to rank because I'd never marry a man unless I believed he loved me and I'd never have his children unless I believed he'd be a good father and provide a good living. However I didn't go out searching for a good father, provider, man who loved me you know?

For me a "sense of humor" and "good looking" got the door opened. Honesty, intelligence, and respect kept it open. And "good in bed" sealed the deal. Our relationship probably wouldn't continue to function without reliability.

Everything else sorta changes with time and situation. Does my man hang on my every word? Nope. Does he listen to me when I say Hey! Are you listening to me? Sure!:rofl Do we have things in common...sure. Do I like "rave" music....hell no.

We would never have got past hello without hygeine. But I don't place a whole heck of alot of importance on clothes. My man is hot but I wouldn't be in to a guy who worried more about which shoes to wear than I do.

Treats you as equal.....? Hmm we have mutual respect. And his decisions don't trump my decisions or vice versa however I do enjoy being the woman so to speak.

Politeness.....that one made me crack up. I guess politeness didn't turn me on. :rofl

One of the most important things for me....is that my man "gets me." That's important. I'm a little goofy and I was elated to find someone who "gets me." Maybe I'd even put that first. And as time passes that never changes. He'll always "get me."

Last edited:
::Major_Baker:: said:
Good in bed before faithful? Interesting....
So as long as he ****s good, makes no difference if it is only you he's ****ing?

I see alot of redundancy in the list, but I am not a woman, nor gay, so I'll shut up now.

Doh! You are right.....so I switched them.

I found some of these a little redundant, too, but I did my best in a hurry. Truthfully though, I'm not too worried about faithfulness.....if a man possesses the characteristics rated above faithful on the list, like honesty, reliability it wouldn't be an issue.

1. Handsome, good body. ( I ranked it first because honestly, it was the first thing that attracted me to my husband.. he races mountain bikes and body builds.)

2. Intelligent (What can I say, I want it all!)

3 Good in bed. (Sorry, but I've dated men who weren't and even if they had all the other qualities I till want enjoy my intimate time with them, dammit!.)

4. Treats you as an equal.

5 Tells you the truth.

6. Good father.

7.Stable personality ( No flying off the handle over everything)

8. Loves you.

9.Helps around the house.(Since I don't do housework)

10. Sense of humor.

11. Listens to you.

12 Sociable, extrovert, friendly, companionable.

13 Polite, respectful.

14. Faithful

15. Reliable, dependable

16 Has common interests with you.

17 Clean, well groomed, well dressed. (Just clean for me, the hell with dressing up, if he has a good body, who cares.)

18 Strong, assertive, brave, manly (Don't want someone I can push around)

19 High enough level of education. ( A man can be dumb and still have a large amount of education under his belt)

20 Same religion (no religion) (Not important, he is christian I'm not)

21 Provides a living for you. (I'm the bread winner so this is null and void)

alphamale said:

Handsome, good body.
Rich.
Tells you the truth.
Good father.
Polite, respectful.
Treats you as equal.
Stable personality.
Intelligent.
Good in bed.
Sense of humor.
Loves you.
Helps around the house.
Faithful.
Listens to you.
Reliable, dependable.

1. loves you (what is a relationship without love?)
2. Provides a living for you (I was raised that a man should do that)
3. Intelligent (Why be with a dumb one?)
4. Reliable (I want to be able to count on him)
5. handsome (attraction is essential)
6. listens to you (otherwise, I may as well talk to the wall)
7. has common interest (Otherwise, we would end up going separate ways)
8. strong, assertive, brave and manly (A man should be)
9. faithful (I don't share!!!!)
10. good father (actually that should be higher and that is a given)
11. Stable personality (I can't tolerate mood swings, I already have two babies)

I give up, but those are the most important. Although all are good qualities.

Last edited:
alphamale said:
Women - rank the following characteristics of men in order of importance to you, in terms of what kind of man you'd like to have a long-term relationship with or marriage

im not going to rank them, but i'll catagorize those things into 5 catagories going from 5 = essential, or 1 = doesnt matter.

Handsome, good body. 3. a definate plus, but not essential.

Rich. 1. i'd actually be hesitant to marry someone who was rich.

Tells you the truth. 5.

Good father. 5

Polite, respectful. 5

Treats you as equal. 5

Stable personality. 5

Strong, assertive, brave, manly. 2. I dont go for macho men.

Intelligent. 5. I gotta be able to talk to them.

Good in bed. 3. as long as they arent a prude, i can teach them all they need to know.

Sense of humor. 5. always the first thing im attracted to.

Loves you. 5

Same religion (no religion). 3. as long as our beliefs dont cause conflicts between us, im fine with having different beliefs.

Clean. 5. is an explaination necessary?

well groomed. 4. as long as they way they groom themselves works. dreadlocks are cool, tangles in hair thats not supposed to be tangled is not.

well dressed. 3. I dont care about fashion. as long as they arent going around in their underwear im happy. on the other hand, well dressed is a plus.

Sociable, extrovert, friendly, companionable. 3. I dont care what they're like around strangers as long as their polite. I mostly care how they treat me.

High enough level of education. 2. intellegence is a must, formal education is not.

Helps around the house. 3. I dont mind doing a greater portion of the housework, but they shouldnt be a slob either.

Faithful. 5.

Listens to you. 5.

Provides a living for you. 3. he cant be lazy, but he doesnt have to be the sole breadwinner either.

Reliable, dependable. 5.

Has common interests with you. 3. gotta be able to hod a conversation with him and enjoy a few common things, but we dont have to share everything.

None are important talking to someone who needs a set of towels where I work. Most are important in the person I love the most. Some are important when I'm horny.
If the eyes work, looks come first. If the brain works, intelligence comes in. If I'm having a bad day, humor and compassion are needed. Nothing is all-important, nothing is to be dismissed. It is the whole of the person, the interaction, the chemistry that comes when you're eye to eye. To say that just one thing tops them all would be false. I've had fantastic lovers who were ugly to others and good looking ones who couldn't even kiss well.
Lists are for shopping.

alphieb said:
1. loves you (what is a relationship without love?)
2. Provides a living for you (I was raised that a man should do that)
3. Intelligent (Why be with a dumb one?)
4. Reliable (I want to be able to count on him)
5. handsome (attraction is essential)
6. listens to you (otherwise, I may as well talk to the wall)
7. has common interest (Otherwise, we would end up going separate ways)
8. strong, assertive, brave and manly (A man should be)
9. faithful (I don't share!!!!)
10. good father (actually that should be higher and that is a given)
11. Stable personality (I can't tolerate mood swings, I already have two babies)

I give up, but those are the most important. Although all are good qualities.

I want to clarify that "provides a living" is important, but I expect to pull some weight also and not just sit around and let him work solely. I could not handle it if I was the only worker.

alphieb said:
I want to clarify that "provides a living" is important, but I expect to pull some weight also and not just sit around and let him work solely. I could not handle it if I was the only worker.

As long as I made enough money and he stayed home to take care of the house and kids, I wouldn't mind.

Kelzie said:
As long as I made enough money and he stayed home to take care of the house and kids, I wouldn't mind.

I guess that would be OK as long as he did a good job with his job at home.

alphieb said:
I guess that would be OK as long as he did a good job with his job at home.

Well of course. Us women don't tolerate slackers. :mrgreen:

alphieb said:

My husband works and I stay at home. That said though I don't consider what I do "sitting around." I do all the cleaning, laundry, and yard work. And I take care of the kids and drive them around to all their various activities. I feel blessed that I can raise my kids personally vs having a daycare provider or noone do it. Not working does not mean you aren't pulling weight. Our life is very calm compared to many we know where both parents work. We have time to enjoy one another. I get to attend all the kids schools functions and volunteer at the school so I know all my kids friends as well as most of the other kids in the neighborhood. I honestly believe the world would be better off if more parents elected to have one parent stay home and be the primary care giver to the kids and the house.

talloulou said:
I honestly believe the world would be better off if more parents elected to have one parent stay home and be the primary care giver to the kids and the house.

I agree. lots of people say they cant afford it, but I dont think thats usually true. people buy bigger and more expensive houses now. today its rare for kids to share a bedroom, but in my parents generation it was very common.

Last edited:
talloulou said:
My husband works and I stay at home. That said though I don't consider what I do "sitting around." I do all the cleaning, laundry, and yard work. And I take care of the kids and drive them around to all their various activities. I feel blessed that I can raise my kids personally vs having a daycare provider or noone do it. Not working does not mean you aren't pulling weight. Our life is very calm compared to many we know where both parents work. We have time to enjoy one another. I get to attend all the kids schools functions and volunteer at the school so I know all my kids friends as well as most of the other kids in the neighborhood. I honestly believe the world would be better off if more parents elected to have one parent stay home and be the primary care giver to the kids and the house.

Hey nobody's saying what you do is worthless. In fact a study just came out that said stay at home parents would be paid over 130K a year if they didn't do it for free.

talloulou said:

My husband stays at home and he says it was easier going to work everyday (used to be a controls engineer) than managing the household and my daughter. He honestly does not know how these women with a large litter of kids manage to do what they do! Wasn't there something in news about what the salary of a stay at home mother would be if you were paid for what you do?(in the six figures.) Oops I see Kelzie beat me to it! And yes, it does take a lot of stress off me. Unfortunately, not many of my peers have the same luxury. (Their husbands were not willing to stay home with their children despite salaries that were comprable or superior to mine!)

Last edited:
bandaidwoman said:
My husband stays at home and he says it was easier going to work everyday
:rofl

I feel like that sometimes. Working is fun because you get to socialize with adults where staying at home can be isolating especially when you have babies. Now that mine are older and I volunteer at school and they are active in sports it's alot more fun and not isolating at all. However, I will say you work 24/7 vs 5 days a week. But I imagine that's true of working moms as well. I always am the one to handle night time sick duty, nightmares, ect. Also theres no paycheck and sometimes I need to remind everyone how much they appreciate me! :rofl All in all though staying home is easier as our lives are much more relaxed and laid back. No running around trying to pack everything in to the weekend. No worrying about who will take care of the kids when school is closed or they are sick. We have a modest house and we probably could have got a much bigger one but we didn't want to be "house poor" and slaves to a mortgage company forever.

Kelzie said:
Hey nobody's saying what you do is worthless. In fact a study just came out that said stay at home parents would be paid over 130K a year if they didn't do it for free.
The last great injustice, and one that will never be confronted. You couldn't do it. Capitalism, Socialism, Feudalism, as far as I know none have an answer for the undervaluation of homemaking and child-rearing (I had to hyphenate it, is it one word or two?:confused: ). Maybe some sort of matriarchal communism is the answer?;)

Of course if that sort of money was available how many men would go out to work? I could afford a Ferrari berfore the kids were 10! Then when the boy needs a ride for his senior prom, "Gee dad, for real? I can take it?". Oh yeah, I would absolutely rule as a father.

How long before this thread spawns a male equivalent? And how many posts before it then degenerates into a discussion about breasts? Place your bets now!:mrgreen:

star2589 said:
I agree. lots of people say they cant afford it, but I dont think thats usually true. people buy bigger and more expensive houses now. today its rare for kids to share a bedroom, but in my parents generation it was very common.

While I agree that it is unfortunate that more families can't have a stay-at-home parent, it's not necessarily true that most families can usually afford to live that way. Plenty of families with both parents working live modestly and in an economically precarious position. Perhaps you are talking about upper and upper middle classes of people? It is absolutely harder for families to make it today than it was for our parents.

Back
Top Bottom