• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Police denied service at Washington State resaurant

I guess they sent the Chief Deputy back to the site to confirm the situation and the owner repeated.

Looks like the owner shot himself in the foot after everyone in the town finally sees it on facebook. Gonna lose wayyyy more customers than the few that were paranoid in there at the time.

Wonder if a followup, direct statement will come from the owner instead of secondary confirmation.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/washington-sheriff-says-restaurant-bans-132222300.html

So are the cops unintentionally bullying the restaurant or not?

There's no such thing as "unintentional bullying"...

What actually happened, one of the owners told KOMO News, was that while the deputies were eating, an employee noticed customers at another table had spilled some soup and water. The employee couldn't understand why the customers were getting upset, and wondered if it was because the deputies were sitting nearby.

That's what led the employee to ask deputies if they were about to leave, the owner said.

"Yeah, I want police to coming," one of the owners said in an interview Thursday night. "He means welcome for police officers to come over here," Li said.

If someone assassinates the owner then did this police chief just commit terrorism using public office?

Isn't it a little too early to proclaim the Sheriff's intent? Do we really know?

Mayhap, that was the fastest cheapest way to do as the store employee requested; spread the word. I wouldn't expect the Sheriff's office to use their time and materials calling every police entity in driving distance. They should be out doing looking for bad guys instead of making phone calls.

I am not saying I know the Sheriff's intentions, but for crying out loud, can't we wait for all the information to come in before deciding which side to lynch?

It was...

Hypocrisy noted.

Ditto.

So...we are endorsing bigotry now? With the caveat that "its not us mind you...its our customers that dont feel comfortable with you here".

So....that opens all kinds of doors to discrimination.

It Would.

Except, that just came out, and was not available when I posted this...

as i read earlier, the law enforcement members were not denied service

they were served and upon payment asked not to return

what's wrong with that?

Would it be wrong to ask four black gentleman not to return?

There's no such thing as "unintentional bullying"...

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! I can't believe that poster actually said that! :lamo

If someone assassinates the owner then did this police chief just commit terrorism using public office?

No.

And do you know the difference between police chief and a sheriff?

Isn't it a little too early to proclaim the Sheriff's intent? Do we really know?

Mayhap, that was the fastest cheapest way to do as the store employee requested; spread the word. I wouldn't expect the Sheriff's office to use their time and materials calling every police entity in driving distance. They should be out doing looking for bad guys instead of making phone calls.

I am not saying I know the Sheriff's intentions, but for crying out loud, can't we wait for all the information to come in before deciding which side to lynch?
that chief likely has an ability to email every LEO in the area with a single message saying for each LEO to no longer do business with the teriyaki restaurant at that restaurant's request
done

instead, he went to social media
lamented being uninvited
dismayed because of the recent pro cop event held in the area
the message circulated to anyone on facebook - NOT just LEOs
his intention to damage the restaurant's reputation is clear

Would it be wrong to ask four black gentleman not to return?

not if that reason was for some reason other than they were members of a protected class

but if it is because they are gay
or married
or black
or old
or disabled
or muslim

then such exclusion would be wrong

yep
sometimes they cannot afford it
but it has become the expectation of the cops to receive free food

one reason not to want their "business" any more

They are not expecting free food. Jeeez

You cannot be serious. Cops expecting free food?

absolutely

and free snacks at convenience stores

provided as the cost of being seen

Some business owners like a police presence for protection and also honor the service - I live in a trendy neighborhood known for restaurants and shopping - the businesses appreciate our police presence.

Damn strange story. Dumb people, both restaurant owners and the customers who supposedly complained.

Oh yea - best post on this thread, Dumb story and dumb people.

If black people were served, and then asked not to return... wouldn't there be a problem with that????

Big time!

Yeah, unfortunately, the comparison doesn"t fly other than on general principle. LEOs are not a protected class.

I tend to think it really did have something to do with a language barrier. Chinese restaurants even in suburban Chicago have families working in them that barely speak English.

Good call and I wasn't sure if they were even Chinese owners, from the little info available.

So what happens when the family says "Thats not exactly how it went down...." Are they gonna sue the police station for using social media to shame the private business?

Apparently not, it's Code 4 at this time.

i agree with this perspective:

why the need to go social medial to let the public know the police were uninvited from a particular restaurant
the intent was to harm the business' interests
is that what this government entity is charged to do?

So many people use social media these days, it's no big thing bro.....

Just one more reason for me not to, because so many people are getting themselves in hot water over it. An Oregon cop just got relieved of duty over it. People post the dumbest crap.

If you stay away from it, it won't get you into trouble.

not if that reason was for some reason other than they were members of a protected class

but if it is because they are gay
or married
or black
or old
or disabled
or muslim

then such exclusion would be wrong

:roll:

I hope this guy's restaurant is burglarized. It would be even better if he was held at gunpoint and the police stood outside and laughed in his face.

Except, that just came out, and was not available when I posted this...

but this one and many others were lol this one was out 7 hours ago, like 4 hours before you posted
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...nguage-barrier-banning-cops-article-1.2712842
this one on a fox affiliate was out 16hours ago
Restaurant owner says it’s all a misunderstanding, cops can eat at his place — and for free Monday | Q13 FOX News

anyway "seems" nothing more than a misunderstanding that has been debunked

but this one and many others were lol this one was out 7 hours ago, like 4 hours before you posted
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...nguage-barrier-banning-cops-article-1.2712842
this one on a fox affiliate was out 16hours ago
Restaurant owner says it’s all a misunderstanding, cops can eat at his place — and for free Monday | Q13 FOX News

anyway "seems" nothing more than a misunderstanding that has been debunked

Well, I didn't see those, nor did I have time to research any other link.........I run a business and I'm in and out constantly ...and my PC is my only internet source. I'm glad it's all ok now. I wish we could just all get along.

absolutely

but unlike cops, those of a particular ethnicity/race cannot be excluded from an establishment open to the public only because of that ethnicity/race

surprised i needed to explain that distinction to a former leo

Im not talking about a legal "problem"......

Gay people weren't a particular ethnicity/race, and yet refusing to serve them ended very badly for several business owners.

as i read earlier, the law enforcement members were not denied service

they were served and upon payment asked not to return

what's wrong with that?

Agreed. A business should have the right to notify customers they are not welcomed to do business there, and to let them know that others like them will not be welcomed either.

My guess is some groups would not be so accommodating and agreeable if they were treated the same way.

Says much about the character of different groups.

Yeah, unfortunately, the comparison doesn"t fly other than on general principle. LEOs are not a protected class.

I tend to think it really did have something to do with a language barrier. Chinese restaurants even in suburban Chicago have families working in them that barely speak English.

When did gayness get added to the "protected class" list?

When did gayness get added to the "protected class" list?

Many states passed laws protecting sexual orientation, but they did not pass them all at the same time so i cannot give you a single answer.

Many states passed laws protecting sexual orientation, but they did not pass them all at the same time so i cannot give you a single answer.

Well, it isn't in the federal list.
And it isn't a protected class in my state.

the customers were uncomfortable with the cops there

maybe the customers are criminals

maybe the cops are acting in an intimidating fashion

but if i am a business owner and my other customers do not want the cops present, then i am going to discreetly (unlike the police department) ask that they no longer engage in private business at my private business

they must respond to future calls for assistance. the police choose whether to respond professionally or not

I would respond to future calls as professionally as the restaurant was with them, meaning taking the scenic rout to respond. I would say the place is going to lose a lot of business but Washington is full of wackjobs so if anything they may actually gain business. Maybe the police should all just take a day off, and announce it before hand and see if any one misses them on the day after that.

Back
Top Bottom