• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Payette scandal sours Canadians on perks, expenses for former governors general: Ipsos

Allan

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
I think most Canadians previously would have agreed that the Governor General or Head of State don't really matter. It seems it matters a lot when the GG screws up. I'm not sure if the willingness to change Head of State (after Queen Elizabeth II dies) is related to Payette's behavior, but I'm sure it doesn't help.

A clear majority of Canadians believe former governor general Julie Payette should receive neither a pension nor an expense account given her unprecedented early resignation from the post amid workplace bullying allegations, a new poll suggests.

According to the poll, done exclusively for Global News by Ipsos, 80 per cent of Canadians say Payette should not receive a pension while 72 per cent say neither she nor any other former governors general should get expense accounts after leaving office.

What’s more, the poll found that support for Canada ending its ties to the monarchy has risen to the highest level in a decade.

Link

I doubt there'll be a change in the Head of State during my lifetime. There's a genuine fear that fixing something that isn't broke would open a hornets nest. A politicized Head of State (or Senate) would result in competing power centers and the potential for chaos we've seen elsewhere. You all know who we're talking about. ;)

One option I see as safe is an appointed Head of State, but that gets into the 'rubber stamp' issue doesn't it. Or abolish the position entirely which of course leaves us with only two branches of government.

Would be interested in what other Canadians think should be done, if anything. Do we change the system and if so to what, or stick with Kings Charles, William and Harry going forward?

Back
Top Bottom